Drop Leg Holster?

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I can't speak to either of those, but am curious as to why a leg holster in the first place.

Quite honestly, your mileage may vary depending on what your experiences or your expectations are.

A holster is only a method of securing your firearm when it is not in your hand. If you had no holster and a .38 Special you just 'acquired' like in the movies or whatever, where do the actors put it? Typically they will lift up their shirt, and tuck it in their waist band. In a pinch that is a great spot if you A: have tight pants that can hold up the weight of a 1.5lbs handgun, or B: have a fat gut and ass that can help keep that gun from flopping around when you move. Honestly though, that is the movies. You might shoot your dick off in RL if you try that crap and gotta work or move around with that gun in your waistband.

Before you order anything online just take your pistol or revolver down to a retailer that might have what you are looking for and see if it is a good fit.
Any holster you choose needs to be appropriately sized and shaped for your weapon. Make sure that if you have any attachments or intend on attaching anything that you account for those changes. I say that because even though those sites seem to offer a variety of sizes, maybe your weapon isn't on the list. I know my own Springfield wasn't on Blackhawk's list, but is on the Safari one. The Blackhawk also doesn't allow for ANY attachments. Just be thorough.

While a Drop leg holster is a very obvious indicator that you are carrying, in my honest opinion it is the best way to carry when you don't care who knows it.

I am prior service with 12 months in Iraq from the invasion of '03 through '04. Soldiers carry so much gear that carrying a pistol in a typical waistband holster would never work well for us. It needs to be attached to the outside of our web gear, body armor, or, as the Army supplies to us, a Drop Leg Holster. It keeps the weapon safe, secure, and not pointed at our vital groin area if it accidentally discharged from a fall or when pulling it out of the holster. If you will be carrying anything like load carrying equipment with pistol belt/canteen, a bullet proof vest/body armor, or a backpack/rucksack, I highly recommend a drop leg holster or a holster that can attach with clips to the outside of your body armor. All the items I listed above will hang over your waist/belt area and make carrying a pistol there uncomfortable or impossible.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
While a Drop leg holster is a very obvious indicator that you are carrying, in my honest opinion it is the best way to carry when you don't care who knows it.

Yeah, this would be for my property location. When I'm out and about on property.

Don't really care who sees me armed. Just want easy access for snakes, etc.

Hope this helps.

Absolutely did.

Thanks!

KMS - how is moving around with a leg holster? I was concerned with all of the "unsprung mass", to borrow a car term, when wearing a full sized handgun on the leg. Are they usually used for a primary handgun or a smaller backup?

Vox - wearing on your own property certainly cleared up some of my reservation with that style of holster. Where I live open carry in public is not permitted, so it didn't strike me as very useful at first glance.

full sized 9mm Beretta was standard U.S. Army issue. After some adjusting to your leg size and getting in a comfortable place it is not a problem. Just keep in mind, it would be like wearing a helmet in the sense that, if you aren't used to carrying it, it will bother you until you get acclimated to that new part of your attire.

full sized 9mm Beretta was standard U.S. Army issue.

What make/model of drop-leg holster were you issued?

Is it available to civilians?

Check an Army/Navy Surplus store if you have one local. You'd be looking for some ugly OD Green with a velcro flap that was big and cumbersome.

Or, stick with what you've been shopping for, get something that isn't outdated, issued to the masses, and made by the lowest bidder.

Here are some others that the guys are probably using these days. ranger joes

Remember, just make sure it fits your weapon. Just about everything else you can adjust to your body, and comfort level as needed.

We did have that dummy cord attachment like you can see here. This it what I mean. Half the time it snagged on stuff, the rest of the time it was for peace of mind. I know a lot of guys didn't use it. I kept mine tucked in, so it didn't bother me much or get snagged on stuff. I was a big believer in 'dummy cords'. That way you won't lose stuff.

Last edited:
both holsters are high quality, so choose what is most comfortable for you. i've always used blackhawk and currently have 3 different versions. no issues with any.

While it would be 100% legal to carry it in my state that way with or without a permit & I'd like to carry in a drop leg holster, I just know it would attract far too much attention when out & about. For the OP's purpose of out in the country it would be great. Heck I wish even the fanny packs would come back in style so I could carry that way, but you wear one of those now & get almost as much attention as you would with the drop leg holster. But instead of gawking at a gun they'd be saying "Hey, the '90's called & they want their fanny pack back." :paperbag:

Back
Top Bottom