Get ready

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

ancona

Praying Mantis
Reaction score
Having been inside for the whole weekend, trying to avoid the 95 degree heat and 85% relative humidity, I had occasion to glance at the Olympic debacle unfolding in England. After months and months of hype and hope, it looks as if the British multi-billion dollar gambit is turning in to a total flop. The hyper militarized, totally commercialized political cluster-fuck is being seen for what it really is. When I read about surface to air missile batteries being emplaced on the roofs of welfare apartment blocks, I knew this was going to get stupid real quick. Little did I know just how quick. Watching several of the events on Saturday, not once did I see the stands with more than 50% of the seats filled. It seems that the corporate sponsors have screwed the pooch and failed miserably in getting the tickets in to the hands of people who wanted to go. With the astronomical prices being charged, most Britons do not have the means to enjoy any of the venues offered, and in fact, they have protested not only the ridiculously high prices, but the lack of tickets available to the general public. Another complaint was the insane security surrounding what should be a fairly open and enjoyable presentation of the world’s best athletes. Instead, they are subjected to unrealistically invasive searches and questioning by a security staff making just over the minimum wage, who have had as little as two weeks training. In addition, there is no guarantee that the staff even speak English. What a fucking joke!

When I was a kid, watching the Olympics was a big deal, and my family made it a must see event by placing our own wagers on competitors in any number of sports. Now, it has been commercialized to the point that it is no longer any fun to watch. That, along with the ridiculous “medal count” makes me sick to my stomach, as it reduces the value of winning to nothing more than a measure of how much money an Olympian can make by selling their soul to Coca Cola after the events.

During my most recent trip to Wally-World, which I find particularly annoying since it is completely unavoidable, I was once again witness to the decline of empire, watching with incredulous amusement as two hideous walmartians battled over the last case of Sam’s Best Cola, each one demanding to have it, yet neither one recognizing the obvious solution of each person simply taking twelve sodas. I just sort of stood there, trying my best to understand how we could have ended up at this terrible place in time. The disintegration of our society is intensifying, along with the stratification of the classes within themselves. I work very closely with a large group of individuals , most of whom earn salaries that are identical to mine, or near enough so. Among this group there are perhaps a dozen or so who share my world views and understanding of the financial system for what it really is. The rest of them are levered up with 400,000 dollar homes, and 65,000 dollar leased Escalades which they will certainly lose when the next round of lay-offs hit them, yet they continue to wander through their days, completely and blissfully unaware and totally unprepared. Many of them do not have saved resources beyond a month or two, maybe a little more if they raid their 401-K’s. I shudder to think about what will happen to society in my area in the event of a SHTF scenario involving the collapse of banking and finance. How long before it degenerates in to dog eat dog?

When I contemplate the possibilities, I can’t help but have visions of roving gangs of half starved, desperate people going from house to house begging for something to eat. I’m not talking about Latin Kings or Crips roving around, I’m talking about those engineers from two paragraphs ago, regular Joes who have nothing because they refused to process reality and prepare themselves for something besides full grocery shelves and working ATM’s.

We need to address the distinct possibility that the Brotherhood of Darkness may not be able to contain the beast they have built, and if this fucker gets away from them, becoming sentient so to speak, it will consume us all. I have read and heard some of the most arrogant men in the world as they profess to have the situation on lockdown, and about how even though they hold hundreds and hundreds of trillions of dollars in dodgy swap agreements and credit default instruments it’s all good, because they all net out to zero anyway. I ask at this point if these things all net out to zero, then why hold them in the first place? Isn’t it pointless?

No, I choose not to believe those who are directly responsible for the RE melt down and the near death experience of our global financial system. From Lloyd Blankfein to Jon Corzine to Jamie Dimon, I hold them all in disregard as they lie and obfuscate their way through the Senate clown show of softball questions and seeming blind acceptance of whatever testimony these scumbags decide to proffer. “I don’t recall Senator”. “I didn’t have that information at the time Mr. Senator”. Bullshit I say, complete bullshit, yet it seems that these ass clowns are too connected to prosecute.

We no longer have a Justice System, we have a legal system, within which you are guilty until you either prove your innocence or come up with enough money to pay effective lawyers to defend you. Just watch a day of traffic court at your local courthouse, it will completely disgust you. Defendants are no longer afforded the basic right to explain themselves in court. The judges are extremely terse and impatient, and will readily get angry if you actually demand your right to a trial. They expect everyone to plea and get it over with, and become irate when you try to assert your rights to something as simple as confronting your accuser. A friend of mine did just that when the cop who gave her a six hundred dollar ticket didn’t show up at court. The judge said he would delay for a month, but this girl was too sharp for that, and having been put off for four months already, she asserted her right to not only confront her accuser but her right to a speedy trial. The charge and ticket were summarily dismissed, but not without a tremendous hassle and several missed days of work to sit in a room on an open docket waiting your turn to be demeaned by the “court”. When I read some of the experiences regular people have had with the “justice system” it makes my blood boil. What was supposed to be our final venue for settlement of disputes and hearing of criminal cases has been subsumed within the revenue machine and turned in to a giant collection agency, tasked with bleeding ordinary citizens of their cash through application of draconian “traffic fines”, municipal infraction fines for bullshit things like having your grass too tall or forgetting to bring in your trash cans on trash day [a fifty dollar fine].

In some ways I relish the thought of complete collapse because when the financial system implodes, it takes with it all the paper tigers, those who have accumulated vast wealth on paper, but who will be wiped out when the pixels all disappear. It will be the great equalizer, bringing all of us on to the same plane, under the same rules. Those who prepared with a large garden and a few chickens will be the new wealthy, and those who were part of the financial paradigm that caused the system reset will be pariahs, as they should be.

There is still some time to get yourselves ready. There is still time to prepare your family to live without many of the comforts and luxuries we all take for granted today. If you have the means, some solar panels and nickel iron batteries will go a very long way towards keeping you comfortable when the lights go out. A water well is second on the list, and having just contracted to have it put in, I find myself feeling a bit more calm, knowing the one thing we cannot live without will be right there in my front yard ready to tap. A garden is incredibly simple as a construct goes, but very labor intensive. Get some ground tilled up with a power tiller while you still can. After a season or two, you can turn the soil with shovels and pitchforks pretty easily, so do the hard stuff while you have the ability to do so with power equipment, because you will be a happier camper when the lights go out if you don’t have to till raw earth by hand. A few weapons and a pile of ammo go without saying, as does regular practice with them to remain sharp. Think you will be able to go it alone with just yourselves and family? Think again friends, think again.

Our little group is only 24 strong, but we’re all committed to each other and willing to share our resources and skills when the time comes. We all can vegetables and we all grow food. Some of us grow significantly more than the others, but we all have the necessary skill sets to expand our gardens when the time comes. We have [as a group] a total of forty one chickens, with twenty six or twenty seven producing eggs. We allow four or five hens to get fertilized every six months or so and go broody, as this guarantees us the next generations of laying hens. While not enough for meat production at this time, we can expand our coops as necessary to accommodate meat production.

As far as security, you had better be ready to keep it up 24 hours a day, because the hungry don’t stop being hungry just because it’s dark, and night time can offer great concealment. A lot of folks think this can never happen here, and that those of us who are preparing are nuts at best and subversive at worst. I say let them think what they want, because when the balloon goes up, I intend to be ready, since the government will be neutered just like the rest of the world. No credit and no means of exchange that the people trust equals starvation, plain and simple, and no means of coercion exists to force producers to produce and growers to grow without a guarantee of payment.

Get ready while you can, you won’t be sorry.

Sorry about the rant.:flail:

London olympics

Wally world and worksheeple

Banksters and senaturds

da justice system

hangry sheeple ........

awesome Ancona ! a little darkness to end the weekend (-:

Justintime too, i was gettin all cheerful and optimistic .....
What, with the sun shining and extracting a load of winter wood with a bit o help from my orange diesel burning friend. I was all blissed out.

No harm in reminding ourselves why we are here, eh ?

excellent!!!

I'm a produce clerk in the local grocery store. Mindless job, pays well (so far). As I was leaving this morning, I bumped bumpers with a 20 something and her tattoo sleeved sunglasses bedecked boyfriend. No harm to my ford 150; crumpled her Honda bumper like tissue. She was livid, "I've needed a new bumper" lot of snarky comments. We exchanged insurance (I admit no culpability except two people backing into each other at the same time). Boyfriend wouldn't look at me, wouldn't take off the sunglasses. Smoking nervously.

These people were obsessed with the appearance of their Honda accord. Guess there really isn't much else for them to look forward to. It was sad.

Just talk to any kid with a newer car these days. They know they can't afford to buy a house, so they saddle themselves with a four or five hundred dollar car payment and a couple hundred a month in insurance instead. I know several people who live in shitty little rentals, but drive forty thousand dollar cars. It blows my mind really. If they simply saved for five or six years, they could afford a big down payment on a decent house, but they choose to have something now, rather than wait and plan for something better down the road. It's the whole instant gratification thing.

I had a conversation with someone in their twenties yesterday. Essentially, she wanted to know why you would invest in gold and silver when the price might drop sharply. I asked her why she would buy stocks when the price might drop sharply. She told me at least stock prices always rebound...

:giveup:

Last edited:
Well, stocks do often rebound, as do Pm's, when measured in bucks. While that's going on, the price of everything you need is also rebounding in bucks...you may not have success getting a 20 yo to go that far in the analysis...usually one or two steps is their limit...

DC,
The stock market may soon be irrelevant. If and when the financial industry chases off the last investor that loses all faith in them, and the banks collapse under the weight of their CDS and other failed bets, we may not have the DOW as a metric any more. think 1931 - 35 for a minute. It was many many years before mom and pop regained any trust at all in the banks, much less the crooked stock market. Flash forward to today, and folks are getting the same feeling all over again. One scandal after another is wiping out the last remnants of trust the public has for banks in general and financial institutions all together.

I see a dark future for those who leave their hard saved money in the hands of these crroked bastards, very dark indeed.

Last edited:
Mine's on a hair trigger to come back out - and has been coming out anyway in favor of other holdings for awhile...but in the meantime, even though I see the steamroller more clearly than most - I can feel the blast of heat it's giving off - it's still the best game I have to play right now. Sucks, but there it is.

And I'm already the guy who has "everything". Not much more to "invest" in around here. One guy with multiple homes and vehicles, a full machine shop, a lab...and on and on...what more other than a stack (which I also have) should I do with it? Let it sit in negative-return cash?

From plenty of experience (too much?) I know just what it takes to start and run a profitable business. I've done it more than a couple times, actually, it's how I have money to play these other games. But with that CV, just try getting any job - no one wants a serial offender CEO to walk the floor at Lowes, or drive a digger - they are afraid I'll either leave when something better shows up (likely!) or wind up running the joint myself (more likely - I'm a bitch to hold down in the ranks).
I couldn't get a job if I paid them, in other words. I know, I've tried, just to see.

And I'm just too old and tired to do another startup - it has to be every thought, every breath, every waking and some non-waking moments of concentration.
Full burnout - candle at both ends and a blowtorch in the middle, that's what it takes.

My philosophy used to be, if you're not your own best investment, then you'd better fix that - and I did. But I can't stop age, there are a lot of limits showing up as to what I can do now (like I can't even run 20 yds). So I trade like a banshee - that I can still manage, and I do far better than even the fakers like Bernie claimed they did at it. I hope and pray I know just when to pull the trigger and finally accept what I've got and get out for good - it's not that much, I'm not greedy, just trying to gather enough to outlive me just slightly.

I've been sooo good at tax evasion for an entire life that even if SS is still there when I need it - it won't feed my cat, much less me (literally, they say I'll get something like $400/mo). That's a choice I made knowingly, not bitchin, you understand. But it is what it is. Even my trading stake is divided among several online brokerages...and some other places for diversity, even though in some cases it's a PITA, and to the extent I let anyone else trade part of my stake, they totally suck - but with a soon-to-be-ex trying to grab at least half of my stuff - it's good to have things in places she (and a few others) don't know about. Doing the best I can, while realizing the risks and that it's on me all the way to steer my course and take my lumps if I do it wrong - or I don't deserve any reward when I get it right.

If I screw it up - I might ask for help if in need, but I'll never blame it on something external. I know better. It's on me. I like it that way.

Now back to watching enemy of the state, for some reason I was in the mood for that one tonight.

well sadly, all the bad guys from around the world, all the "terrorists" - they apparently have lost the battle(s), but have won the war...

Their war was against the FREE SOCIETY, and here we are - in the name of our "security", oppressed by our own elected governments, who are getting elected by monies paid by corrupted shmocks. One rotting corpse at the bottom of the ocean, must be laughing mad like a daemon now.

well sadly, all the bad guys from around the world, all the "terrorists" - they apparently have lost the battle(s), but have won the war...

Their war was against the FREE SOCIETY, and here we are - in the name of our "security", oppressed by our own elected governments, who are getting elected by monies paid by corrupted shmocks. One rotting corpse at the bottom of the ocean, must be laughing mad like a daemon now.

Although they put on a pretty good show, we have neither security nor freedom any more. The TSA is a fucking laughingstock and our fascist president is hell bent on removing the last of our liberties. It was let slip that it is the Obama administrations intention to go after the second amendment if he is re-elected. That alone should get Romney elected, but it means that Americans have to wake the hell up to what this man has been doing, is doing now and what he intends to do in the future to American citizens and their families.

The government isn't the only people you have to worry about:
http://news.yahoo.com/how-oakland-became-the-spiritual-capital-of-occupy-wall-street.html

Another reason for that 12-gauge"
"Packs of protesters charged into businesses, overturning tables, shattering windows and smashing A.T.M.’s."

You have to love those that will defend what the own:
"A few blocks away, I spotted Phil Tagami, a real estate developer who has taken to standing guard in the lobby of his downtown office building with a shotgun during protests. Dressed in black fatigue pants and combat boots, he was scuffling with a group of activists who were trying to force their way into another upscale cafe called Rudy’s Can’t Fail."

Ancona ---

Thanks for the rant. I agree with your perspective on many fronts.

Also, I'm going to start using the term "Walmartians"

That's the funniest thing I've heard in a while.

ADK

@ DCFusor

I hear you re not being able to find "suitable" work, I gave that up years ago as well. "Semi-retired" is what I call it. I never played well with others in offices either.

I pretty much have everything I "need" as well, for me it is return of capital rather than return on capital that matters. Peru and technology keep me busy enough, until Mrs. Bearing wants to travel somewhere (Italy...).

Just to demonstrate, yet again, why I am the "WOAT" (Worst Of All Traders), I bought Molycorp (MCP) some 2 - 3 weeks ago at $20.18. It is now some $11.49 (BIG earnings miss, why just today)... Told you I am a lousy trader! Fortunately my position is small.

@ ancona

Just waiting for the next shoe to drop... The markets are crooked to the core, just as you write.

At least we can take some solace that our ounces have not changed any.

Back
Top Bottom