Got Ruger?

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

pmbug

Your Host
Administrator
Benefactor
Reaction score
United-States
I'm talking about their fireams, not their stock...
March 21, 2012

Sturm, Ruger & Company, Inc. (NYSE: RGR), announced today that for the first quarter 2012, the Company has received orders for more than one million units. Therefore, the Company has temporarily suspended the acceptance of new orders.

Chief Executive Officer Michael O. Fifer made the following comments:
  • The Company's Retailer Programs that were offered from January 1, 2012 through February 29, 2012 were very successful and generated significant orders from retailers to independent wholesale distributors for Ruger firearms.
  • Year-to-date, the independent wholesale distributors placed orders with the Company for more than one million Ruger firearms.
  • Despite the Company's continuing successful efforts to increase production rates, the incoming order rate exceeds our capacity to rapidly fulfill these orders. Consequently, the Company has temporarily suspended the acceptance of new orders.
  • The Company expects to resume the normal acceptance of orders by the end of May 2012.
The Company will announce its results and file its Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q for the first quarter of 2012 on Tuesday, May 1, 2012, after the close of the stock market.

http://www.ruger.com/corporate/news/2012-03-21.html

:flail:

Well, I did get this note re a NEW Ruger for sales via email from a friend. Too bad the picture did not come through...

New Pistol

Ruger is coming out with a new pistol in honor of members of the United States Senate and the House of Representatives.
It will be named the “Congressman”.

It doesn't work and you can't fire it.

Taurus' Judge works and you can fire it, though.

S&W guy myself. Only have one Ruger, and it's a rifle. (m77 mkII)

This probably isn't the norm for them, but that rifle had to have been made on a hungover Monday after hearing about Bill's death.

It only took about 50 hours of hard gunsmithing work to make it into the target rifle it was sold as being already. When I first got it, you could go out with a box of ammo and put out some beer cans at 100 yards, and they'd be safe.

Not anymore..This rifle is what I use now to compete in egg shoots - chicken eggs at 1 kilometer range. But it took quite a lot of work. A heck of a lot of lapping of the barrel and trigger surfaces, the two bolt lugs didn't meet the receiver together - one was 30 mils off - huge error (and potential safety issue, both are supposed to bear at the same time), so some machining there. Some stock work and bedding the action right, and now I have a real gun.

I've had a Ruger for about 1.5 years, good gun with no issues and I plan to get a GP100 at some point.

Stupid me, when I bought the Ruger I took a look at their stock, which was hovering in the mid-low teens. Now it is closing in on 50...stupid me...:flail:

I hear the GP100 is super good. I don't have anything against Ruger - just got a bad one. It's a pretty rare company that doesn't have a bad day once in awhile. Mine just happened to be sick right in the doctors office, so to speak.

The worst .308 I've had is an Armalite AR-10, FWIW. Still trying to get that one accurate and reliable at the same time, it's no small trick, and they almost fold the brass in half on ejection when stock...as a reloader, that's not acceptable. David Tubb went with this class of gun for awhile, and wrote a long book on all the mods it took to make it a good gun in the end - I still have a chapter to go on that.
Then when he designed his Tubb-2000, he used a lot of the parts - but made it a bolt gun, which kinda says what he thought of that op system.

Just picked up the Ruger SR40c about a month ago. I have no complaints as of right now. Taken it to the range twice and put 300 rounds thru so far. I like the aggresive look of it... and brand new for around $400 is a deal. This picture is like the one I have.

http://guntechtexas.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=198

I couldnt get just the picture for some reason but here is a link to see a picture of what I got.

Last edited:
qpmnab.jpg

ZH picked up the story this morning. :)

ZH had it last night, but we scooped them again.

Note, on these snubbies - the short barrel means they don't make best use of any load that uses slower powder. If you can get near a chronograph, you'll want to test this.

For my snubby .38, paradoxically (till you "get" the physics), most +P self defense loads under-perform mid range target loads, drastically. As in +P barely going fast enough to reliably exit the gun. Lots of flash and bang because the powder isn't even burnt by the time the bullet is long-gone. I've seen premium loads go below 400 fps.
They won't even hole a 2x4 the thin way reliably. The same load in a 6" barrel is devastating. Usually the so-called higher power loads use a larger charge of slower powder to get there - this is the opposite of what works in a short barrel.

Whereas, in the same gun, a 140gr lead wadcutter, over 2.8 gr Bullseye still gets >750fps and with a lot less flash and noise. Seating the bullet way down in the case gives nearly 1/2" more "barrel" - and it matters here.

Speer addressed this with some special loads for snubbies for some calibers. A high dollar solution, but right now, the only one outside of loading your own or trying a bunch of stuff.

As long as they didn't use extra slow powder over a heavy bullet to get +P kinds of levels in a "full size" gun, usually the heavier bullet loads do better - all of them go slower in the short barrel, but at least a heavy one is heavy. The heavier bullet gives more time for powder to burn and pressure to build before it's gone, too.

Just something to think about for these compact carry pieces no matter who made them. A smaller charge of faster burning powder behind a medium heavy bullet works best, but that's not what's mostly out there for sale. You really don't need to blind yourself with a "Sgt Rock" muzzle blast that emits only a ballistically wimpy projectile, unless you're just going for special EFX.

If you have no tools for this (chronograph) you can go at least some by recoil and flash - more recoil/less flash is what you'd want. More recoil means you put more on the bullet - less flash means you burned more of the powder before bullet exit.

This was a big shock when I discovered it. Normally you don't want to use handloads in a self defense situation, leaves you open to "this guy crafted evil high power loads to further injure my client" kinds of issues. In my case, a lot of people make acceptable loads for .38 due to its popularity in the bulls-eye competitions that just happen to be right for this job. Even my own handloads any expert would say, well, no, this isn't super high-power and evil at all - but it does get the best performance you can get out of a short barrel.

Hmmmmmmm.....

This seemed to coincide with the Department of Homeland Security putting out a solicitation for a half a billion rounds of ammo.

Coincidence? Conspiracy?

Can't speak to any tinfoil, I hope they're just getting a lot of ammo to practice with.
Hornady XTP bullets have in the past, truly sucked - they just don't open up like they should, despite the ad copy. And that's what they had before.

This new type they are getting does work right. They fill the hollow point with soft plastic, which prevents the hollow point from getting stuffed/wrapped with cloth from a shirt and not opening up in the subject. (the old ones went right through the perp and killed the hostage too) It has different ballistics, so you need to practice with it and set your sights up for it. You could hope that's what they have in mind.

Or (unlikely) they're trying to avoid a classic government mistake. Example:
We used to make terrain following, auto targeting cruise missiles - those guys that can be programmed to fly through a particular window. They weren't cheap, and the design wasn't trivial. So first "peace dividend" that comes around, the government stops ordering any more to save money. In the sorta free market system, that means that the teams who know how to design and build these get broken up and scattered to the winds - to find other paying work. Now, Bush goes and uses a bunch in Iraq-1. We need more. Can't even buy them now, have to redevelop the whole program from scratch since the engineers who understand the software to make any mods are long gone and can't be found (if still alive). And yes, this is a true story.

From experience teaching handgun shooting here, including re-qualification for some of the local cops, man, you'd hope they'd practice more than they do. We've had students shoot much better than nearly all the cops on their very first trigger pull.

And they teach easier, because they have a better attitude toward learning. They know they don't know it all already.

Back
Top Bottom