Precious Metals Forum

Go Back   Precious Metals Forum > Bunker Talk > BSTS

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2012, 10:04 AM   #1
Yellow Jacket

Liked: 2046 times
Hot as hell

With the temperature outside going crazy high, we should be thinking about the idea of constant hydration. Here in Florida, the humidity is so high that sweating is not as efficient a way for our bodies to cool itself as it is in a place like Arizona. We still sweat like a hog, but we don't get the evaporative cooling effect someone gets in dry climate heat.

Remember to constantly replace water and lost electrolytes throughout the day, and that if you are thirsty you are probably already dehydrated.

I feel sorry for you folks in land-locked areas getting hit with high hundreds today and tomorrow, because there is no ocean to moderate the temps and no sea breeze blowing.
Old 07-01-2012, 11:00 AM   #2
Yellow Jacket

Liked: 249 times
The heat wave is not too bad here in PA.

So far- so good.
Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 12:23 PM   #3
Predaceous stink bug

Liked: 68 times
Angry

107 in my Kentucky backyard yesterday. 104 in the shade and not a breeze to be found. With the humidity hovering around 87%, it is pretty miserable around these parts.
HCA1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 12:29 PM   #4
PM Bug Supporter

Liked: 691 times

ancona complaining about the weather again... Too hot! Too cold!

(just yanking yr chain, bud! )

I want to hear from my daughter when she gets back to DC, where much of the power is still out and temps close to 100... SHE complains!
DoChenRollingBearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 01:37 PM   #5
Golden Cockroach

Liked: 2456 times
I gained a whole new appreciation for middle eastern cuisine when I visited the area. I had some free time to kill once while in Qatar and decided to walk around the city area near my hotel in Doha. It was 9am when I started my walk and it was already over 100F. I walked around for almost an hour and was drenched in sweat when I got back to the hotel. Mind you - I was careful to walk everywhere in shade as best I could. I weighed myself on the scale and I had lost several pounds of water weight in that hour.

Middle Eastern cuisine features prominent use of lemon juice. The importance of that really hit home at that point. It is necessary to replace electrolytes and add salt to a meal without overpowering the food. The prohibition on alcohol in parts of the middle east make sense from a health standpoint when you have real concerns about dehydration.

Important stuff: PMBug 101 * Forum Guidelines * Support PMBug
PMBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 03:39 PM   #6
Yellow Jacket

Liked: 882 times
Steve Moraco, an art student who grew up in South Woodmoor, created an awe-inspiring video of the Waldo Canyon Fire taken from his deck using time-lapse photography. 9NEWS featured it on their website. It is a powerful work of art in sight, sound and text captions, 16 minutes long. Sit back and take the time to enjoy and be deeply moved by it. The fire is not enjoyable.

For perspective: The front range is about 8 miles away in the center of the view…the Air Force Academy (identifiable by the Chapel) is at the lower right and Pikes Peak is the highest peak at the middle right. 99% of the fire is burning on the far side of the front range and the first spillover starts Tuesday with catastrophic results! A must see 7 days compressed into 16 minutes
PMBug likes this.
Old 07-01-2012, 05:37 PM   #7
Golden Cockroach

Wow! I didn't realize until after the 4:30 mark that there were subtitles to read. Highly recommend clicking the icon in the lower right corner to make the video full screen. Much better that way.

Old 07-01-2012, 09:01 PM   #8
Yellow Jacket

Liked: 249 times
My cousin lost her entire house- fire in CO
Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 04:33 AM   #9
Ground Beetle

Liked: 388 times
Originally Posted by DoChenRollingBearing View Post:

ancona complaining about the weather again... Too hot! Too cold!

(just yanking yr chain, bud!
Too wet! Too dry!

(yanking his chain from the other end)

This pretty well sums up the weather here:

As does this:

benjamen likes this.

http://mmerlinn.com

GOLD is the money of KINGS.
SILVER is the money of GENTLEMEN.
BARTER is the money of PEASANTS.
DEBT is the money of SLAVES.
- Norm Franz
mmerlinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:23 AM   #10

Liked: 459 times
I just moved away from the Pacific NW. They have been pretty lucky with regard to getting a mild summer.

Here in Texas... Things have been pretty hot (104) but not what i'd call out of the ordinary. I'm surprised i'm hearing temperatures that extreme on the east coast and over the bread basket. I heard kansas was 118.. umm wow..
DSAbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:26 AM   #11
Super Moderator

Liked: 685 times
Originally Posted by dereksatkinson View Post:
I just moved away from the Pacific NW. They have been pretty lucky with regard to getting a mild summer.

Here in Texas... Things have been pretty hot (104) but not what i'd call out of the ordinary. I'm surprised i'm hearing temperatures that extreme on the east coast and over the bread basket. I heard kansas was 118.. umm wow..
It depends on what part of Texas you are in, but when I lived in the Dallas area it was not uncommon to get into the 110-120 range.
Never free.

PMBug 101 *** Forum Rules
benjamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:40 AM   #12

Liked: 459 times
I'm in DFW and grew up in this area so yeah, I'm not surprised at all to see 104.

I was just astonished to see that 118 number in Kansas. I really wonder how this heat was is going to impact agriculture prices.
DSAbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:15 AM   #13
Golden Cockroach

Obligatory:

Old 07-02-2012, 11:01 AM   #14
Yellow Jacket

Liked: 1233 times
Thanks for the link RB - I posted this to my site as well under
http://www.coultersmithing.com/forum...8&p=3835#p3835
Along with a lot of other fun stuff (if you scroll back in time).
DCFusor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:10 AM   #15
Ground Beetle

Liked: 388 times
It is 8am here. I just went outside. Rain again today. So far it has rained every day in July. And 59 degrees.

Long sleeve weather again today.

http://mmerlinn.com

GOLD is the money of KINGS.
SILVER is the money of GENTLEMEN.
BARTER is the money of PEASANTS.
DEBT is the money of SLAVES.
- Norm Franz
mmerlinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:41 PM   #16
Jay
Yellow Jacket

Liked: 671 times
Front page of drudge looks like the whos who of climate change the last few days.

20,900 record all time high temperatures set in the US this year.

3,000 records set this week.

Corn crop in danger.

etc. etc.

My mudlogger friend, who said it was 121 on the rig in Kansas, said there is no climate change and I'm full of it.

who said its hard to convince a man of something when his paycheck depends on him not believing you?

there are many. many climate scientists on Malthusia.com. one of the interesting comments the other day; within two years, most of humanity will be dead, stewed in their own juices. ugggh.
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:05 AM   #17
Super Moderator

Liked: 685 times
Originally Posted by Jay View Post:
Front page of drudge looks like the whos who of climate change the last few days.

20,900 record all time high temperatures set in the US this year.

3,000 records set this week.

Corn crop in danger.

etc. etc.

My mudlogger friend, who said it was 121 on the rig in Kansas, said there is no climate change and I'm full of it.

who said its hard to convince a man of something when his paycheck depends on him not believing you?

there are many. many climate scientists on Malthusia.com. one of the interesting comments the other day; within two years, most of humanity will be dead, stewed in their own juices. ugggh.
One issue with making a big deal over "record" tempatures is that in a lot of areas there has only been accurate weather recording going on for ~100 years. Unfortunately, that is not really enough geologic time to understand the long term trends of the earth independant of man's interation.

Here is a website on some of the big swings in weather the earth experienced long before humans started polluting:
http://geologicevents.blogspot.com/

As far as I can tell, scientists are still fairly split on the man made global warming idea.
http://www.forbes.com/2009/12/19/cli...t-lichter.html

Amusingly, back in the 70's it was believed the earth was going through man made cooling and would soon go into an iceage.
http://scienceray.com/earth-sciences...lobal-cooling/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_cooling

My personal belief is humans should be more concerned about all of the species we are wiping out than the likley 1% influence we have on the weather.
rblong2us and bushi like this.
Never free.

PMBug 101 *** Forum Rules
benjamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:21 AM   #18
Ground Beetle

Liked: 554 times
Originally Posted by benjamen View Post:
My personal belief is humans should be more concerned about all of the species we are wiping out than the likley 1% influence we have on the weather.
...this, and resource depletion, and environment degradation (all actually connected to each other).

Like my friend once told me, good few years ago, and it was quite an eye opener - "we do not need to worry about the life on Earth, in geological time scale we humans will be only considered a blip and man-made Great Extinction period (similar to the dinosaur extinction period), what shall we be worried about, is not even if humanity will survive (because it will) - only about the impacts that we are brewing for our own civilization, and the very possible wipeout of it"
bushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:35 AM   #19
Jay
Yellow Jacket

Originally Posted by bushi View Post:
...this, and resource depletion, and environment degradation (all actually connected to each other).

Like my friend once told me, good few years ago, and it was quite an eye opener - "we do not need to worry about the life on Earth, in geological time scale we humans will be only considered a blip and man-made Great Extinction period (similar to the dinosaur extinction period), what shall we be worried about, is not even if humanity will survive (because it will) - only about the impacts that we are brewing for our own civilization, and the very possible wipeout of it"
What you said. The problem as I see it is cognitive dissonance, or normalcy bias if you will. Mathematically, we HAVE to die off (and soon) and the financial system HAS to collapse. (Simple math my ten year old understands.) BUT the mainstream media keeps spouting crap like this:

World's cities to expand by more than twice the size of Texas by 2030:

http://worldnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news...30?pc=25&sp=25

here is an interesting lecture by a mathematician. I've already been told by several people this is wrong. Sheeple.

every day the store I work for is spouting about sales up 8% or 9% or 10% YOY. I've long ago given up pointing out the idiocy of this. (I work in a grocery store) In order to keep this up, expect to pay ten dollars for a loaf of bread soon.
ancona and rblong2us like this.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:40 AM   #20
Jay
Yellow Jacket

Originally Posted by benjamen View Post:

Amusingly, back in the 70's it was believed the earth was going through man made cooling and would soon go into an iceage.
http://scienceray.com/earth-sciences...lobal-cooling/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_cooling
remember this? I do:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_dimming

a lot of folks believe the large volatile swings in climate change we are experiencing right now are a precursor to another ice age.

I think that with the ongoing collapse of Fukishima and soon to be man made extinction event its moot.