passport?

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

dontdeBasemebro

Big Eyed Bug
Reaction score
What do you guys think about having a valid passport, or not having one?

I'm up for renewal and am frankly not to excited to trade 140 fiats for something I have yet to use and have no plans to use. That being said, there is the remote possibility of business travel overseas, but I have no intentions of doing that unless the boss says it is necessary; I figure there are others who would enjoy the trip, so I'd happily give up my seat for one of them.

From what I've gathered, I think that as of a couple of years ago all US passports are now equipped with an RFID chip that stores your personal information. Given how easy these things are to read I'm not that eager to place my personal info on a hacker-friendly device that could be accessed anywhere.

I think you can still use an expired one for ID within the country, so it is not completely useless either.

I'm a bit torn on having the ability to travel abroad with no intention of using it versus not having it and then needing to go through some sort of expedited process or not being able to go somewhere that I need to go. (don't know what that would be)

I was reluctant to renew my passport for the same reasons: big brother would collect all my data. I managed to circumvene the data collection, though. Maybe you´ll find a loophole aswell.

Get it. You won't be sorry. son, I had the same reservations as you when I had to fill out an E-85 to continue to work with my current clearance at NASA. When I received my [employee identical] access badge, I became indistinguishable from anyone else who had much higher shit. It is a gift, and makes them look the other way. I am also enrolled as a "clear traveler", a program developed between DHS and a Corp. called "CLEAR". It allows me to blow past the humiliation at OIA, My home port. There are those who don't want Uncle Stosh to have "info" on them, well son, let me set you straight, he already has it. Renew the passport while you still can, it may be your "exit visa".

JMHO BTW

Last edited:
There is also a sleeve that blocks radio waves from passports to dangerous things like Parisian trash cans (which could be fitted out with US passport BOMB mechanisms...).

I will try to post the US company that makes the sleeves to BLOCK such signals when I am more awake and sober.....

EDIT:

It was a bigger hassle to renew my US passport (early 2011) than before. But it looks like it is a BIGGER HASSLE for those wanting a passport who have ever had one.

Last edited:
Dude, if the need ever arises that you need to leave the country in a hurry, obviously not if you were in legal trouble, the waiting time for those thing are like 5-8 weeks or something like that. Might as well have it just in case. Besides, it is awesome to travel to other countries and expirience other people's cultures and views. So I say, get it. The fiat is a small price to pay to the gateway that document opens for you.

Last edited:
I can't speak for your situation, but I travel overseas for business at least once a year so I always renew my passport. I also make sure the rest of my family (wife, kids) have a valid passport just in case we decide to take a trip somewhere.

DCRB - I'd be interested in seeing that sleeve you mentioned.

I'm not worried about Uncle Stosh having my data, as you said, ancona, they already know everything and then some (compared to what is needed for a passport). My real issue is that this is one more step in a direction that I'd rather not go in and I don't like the idea of willingly participating.

That said, you guys are all correct in that it is a good thing to have, which is why I got it in the first place and will renew it.

DoChen, I'l look into protect covers for it so that if I do need to bring it somewhere the average crook won't be able to swipe my data, thanks for the idea.

Looking at the form there are a few things that catch my eye. There is a place to list your email address, is this required? (I know some folks just don't have one)

Also, below where you attach the picture there is a whole section asking for a physical description, employer, occupation, school, emergency contact, and travel plans. Are these things required? It seems silly to include them since most of it can change pretty quickly, probably before I ever actually go somewhere.

Might as well tag our ears like cattle.

Last edited:
The sleeve is from:

Identity Stronghold
800 610 2770
www.idstronghold.com

The sleeve is kind of like Tyvek on the outside and some metallic shiny stuff inside. Maybe it's almost a Faraday Cage (DCFusor to our rescue?).

It was a pain in the butt for me to pay by check and mail, they all want you to pay over the 'Net.

And mine is now kind of beaten up from use. I am going to buy some more...

---

I also agree with above views that YES, you should spring for the passport, because it gives you options.

Very cool. In the video they published on their passport product page:

He mentioned that US Passports started putting the RFID chip in around 2006. Looks like I'm good for now as my current passport was issued in 2005.

Back
Top Bottom