Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By DSAbug

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2012, 05:18 PM   #1
Super Moderator

Liked: 685 times
Photo OPSEC

http://www.switched.com/2011/01/24/k...tag-data-safe/

Watch the photos you post online. You may let others know exactly where you live!
Never free.

PMBug 101 *** Forum Rules
benjamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 11:44 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Example of someone getting caught for this very reason:
http://www.examiner.com/article/burg...fied-and-fired
Never free.

Old 07-19-2012, 11:51 AM   #3

Liked: 459 times
And people wonder why i don't have a smart phone... (other than the fact i'm notoriously bad about breaking them)
ADK likes this.
DSAbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 01:08 PM   #4
Yellow Jacket

Liked: 2046 times
The first time I did StreetView, I was freaked out a little bit, since you not only can see the front yard [house and windows largely obscured by gardenia bushes, ferns, etc.] but the opposite direction from the next street over sees the sides and back of the house. Thst's some scary and invasive shit. When does this become an invasion of my privacy? What is to keep some dickhead from using street view to research a guy like me who has two pretty nice scooters put up on the carport? Sure they're chained, but a good thief will bite through that in four seconds with ten dollar bolt cutters, and I may or may not be quick enough to shoot him first. At what point is Google responsible because those photos would have neveer otherwise been put online?

When am I entitled to real privacy? Our county says we cannot have a fence more than five feet high and that your house front can only have 4' chain link so the "emergency responders" can observe in the case of fire or some other such bullshit. In other words, it's legal for these bastards at Google to take all-angle photos of my home and post them online, yet it is illegal for me to protect my privacy against such invasions with fencing or screens high enough to defeat the cameras mounted nearly eight feet above the ground.

This looks way too much like goverenment involvement to me.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:41 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ancona View Post:
The first time I did StreetView, I was freaked out a little bit, since you not only can see the front yard [house and windows largely obscured by gardenia bushes, ferns, etc.] but the opposite direction from the next street over sees the sides and back of the house. Thst's some scary and invasive shit. When does this become an invasion of my privacy? What is to keep some dickhead from using street view to research a guy like me who has two pretty nice scooters put up on the carport? Sure they're chained, but a good thief will bite through that in four seconds with ten dollar bolt cutters, and I may or may not be quick enough to shoot him first. At what point is Google responsible because those photos would have neveer otherwise been put online?

When am I entitled to real privacy? Our county says we cannot have a fence more than five feet high and that your house front can only have 4' chain link so the "emergency responders" can observe in the case of fire or some other such bullshit. In other words, it's legal for these bastards at Google to take all-angle photos of my home and post them online, yet it is illegal for me to protect my privacy against such invasions with fencing or screens high enough to defeat the cameras mounted nearly eight feet above the ground.

This looks way too much like goverenment involvement to me.
Local rules usually apply to man made fences/walls. They usually do not cover vegetation walls/hedges....
Never free.

Old 07-19-2012, 04:02 PM   #6
Yellow Jacket

Liked: 1233 times
Privacy aside (for the moment) I found the sky pics from google maps nice to really understand my own land. Yup, you can see my buildings (all but one), and the solar panels. It's very hard to walk my borders, or even know where they are in the woods, but this lets me note landmark trees for navigation through this undulating place.
DCFusor is offline   Reply With Quote