Prep now, enjoy later

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I get the protect the family at all costs concept (and agree), however, the weak link in trying to plan for the end of the world is that we get some pretty good benefits from advanced technology, medical for one (MRI's, advanced antibiotics, surgical techniques, cancer drugs) that would be very difficult to find if everybody is running around shooting each other over food. I still kind of lean towards thinking that the worst case scenario is also the least likely possibility because people always seem to organize themselves into some kind of social and economic group. Most people are by nature social creatures. I mean sure a few people might get shot or summarily executed in order to calm down the mob, but once everyone is sitting quietly back in their seats the guy at the podium is going to explain how things are going to operate, and he's going to have an army behind him, so I think we're going to have to listen. I am not sure there will ever be a good enough hiding place to stay out of the way forever, and even if you can, eventually you might just find yourself needing a surgeon or antibiotic (for somebody you love) and then you'll be part of the "system" again because you will be trading with the new guys in town, and they are going to want something back. So round and round we go and end up back where we started.

So I think prepping and having an emergency plan is smart, but I think if you're stacking and storing for the end of the world you're going to be depressed if it really happens. In other words it's almost like why bother if it's going to be some version of "Mad Max"?

with all due respect in advance, history is replete with more than "a few people" getting "shot or summarily executed", more like ten of millions in numerous societies. (and in the last century). I absolutely agree that there is no way to avoid whats coming, I don't think anywhere is safe, just some places safer than others. I for one hope to increase my families chances so that we will have the opportunity to "be trading with the new guys in town". I'm pretty sure that the ten + morbidly obese welfare leeches three doors down are not going to fare very well when the free shit stops. And I lived "on the street" for ten years. Mad Max will NOT be fun, and I don't have any illusions that I will survive either. More likely it will be like the gut shot kid in "The Unforgiven".

The South African experience...

i hadn't read this post before I posted previously.

The idea that farmers are soft targets makes perfect sense to me. Makes the gated suburban home much more appealing. Now if we could only find one that will let you keep chickens ;)

Back
Top Bottom