quick shotgun advice

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

dontdeBasemebro

Big Eyed Bug
Reaction score
So I've had a 12ga on my shopping list for a while, and I got an inside line on an Ithaca Featherlight. I don't have barrel length or vintage yet, but I might be able to get it for about 300 fiat.

I plan to use it for sporting clays/skeet/trap, so I'm looking for an appropriate setup (i.e. long barrel, doesn't need to hold 27 rounds...), but if the need for more serious usage occurs then so be it. I don't have a shotgun at present and have never owned one, only shot a few times.

Last time I went shotgun shopping I liked the Ithaca a lot, it has a super smooth action and is very light weight and easy to swing. Downside is that it probably does a number on the shoulder. The price of 600+ put it out of my consideration for a new shotgun, but this one is used and within range.

The other pump that has my attention is the Benelli Nova. Its features list makes it seem pretty versatile, and it appears to be very well built. It felt pretty smooth, but not quite the same as the Ithaca.

So should I jump on the slimmer, lighter, smoother, old-tech Ithaca for ~300 or wait for a new, high-tech, heavier, and tougher Nova for 380? I'm a bit conflicted since I really like the classic smoothness of the Ithaca and how well it fit me, but I also like the modernness of the Benelli and think it has the edge in a survival scenario (correct me if I'm wrong!).

Your opinions are appreciated!

Last edited:
Just found out it has a 26" barrel and is from the mid 70's, I was thinking longer barrel for clays, so I'll probably pass.

If you can get one of these, that might make your shotgun experience a lot more fun! I know the guy in the red shirt.

Very nice. It looks like he-s using a slide fire solutions slip stock to acheive the appearance of automatic fire. I own one and will never give it up. The SFS stock is only a few hundred bucks, and will give you a thousand hours of fun. I think Saiga makes a semi auto 12ga. on an AR frame that can be fitted with the slide fire.

I believe he indeed has the Saiga 12 gauge.

I own a Saiga AK-47, Russian/American. The Russian parts were made in Izhevsk, the the home town of the AK.

Back
Top Bottom