What Happens to All Those Hotel Soap Bars? The Global Soap Project aims to tidy those slivers’ trip

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Penn

Yellow Jacket
Reaction score
What Happens to All Those Hotel Soap Bars?

The Global Soap Project aims to tidy those slivers’ trip to the landfill by sending reclaimed soap to poor countries.
By Arnie Cooper

1 Comment and 52 Reactions | PRINT | SHARE
What Happens to All Those Hotel Soap Bars?
(detsugu/Flickr.com)
Related Stories

* Watching You In the Loo

In 1994, on his second trip to the United States, Derreck Kayongo was staying at a Philadelphia hotel when he noticed that every bar of soap he’d use in the morning was replaced magically with a new one by the time he returned that evening. “I asked the concierge what they did with the partially used bars, and he actually told me they threw them away!”

http://www.miller-mccune.com/enviro...ail&utm_content=0417&utm_campaign=newsletters

When I traveled a lot and spent weeks on end in hotels managing projects, I would collect all the little soaps, shampoo, conditioner, lotion bottles and save tehm up. My daughter used to get a big kick out of them. Now that she's spending the summer in Europe, where you are charged for thois things, she is packing about thirty or so bottles of shampoo and loading lotion and soap bars in her bags. She expects to give some out as gifts in the student groups she will meet up with from around the world and use them as trade items.

Mebbe I don't stay in the right places. The quality of the stuff I've seen in most rooms would go a long way towards convincing the 3rd world recipients we don't live so much better than they do, IMO. Very different on a cruise ship = you get the good stuff. But hotels, it seems you get soap and shampoo that won't even lather decently.

I don't stay at 5 star places, but at a buck eighty a night, I expect to be treated like a human fucking being at the very least, which means nice toiletries.

Gee, I just bring my own. My delicate skin and hair and all that junk demand the best, and I don't think I can expect them to provide what I want - or even know what that is. </humor>

I worked at a hotel for 7 years. I am still friends with the manager. As it turns out- she does this! A church group comes and gets it for missions.

I also worked in group homes- and both there and tourism are fascinating to me.

Back
Top Bottom