Review: Provident Metals

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

4.50 star(s)
2 Rating - Raters
providentlogo-629x148.JPG

Shipping: $10 on orders under $200, free for larger orders. All orders shipped with insurance.

Payment Options: Bank Wire, ACH/eCheck, Personal Check, Cashier’s Checks, Money Orders, Bitcoin, PayPal, Credit/Debit Card, Apple Pay, Google Pay

~~~

I was very impressed with their service and they have pretty decent prices also. From most everything I have read elsewhere, they have a good reputation.

You can buy online here, which means you can lock in the current spot price no matter what time of day, 24hrs a day. (Oh do I wish I was up at 2 am when the silver spot price very briefly dipped to $26 several weeks ago).

Metals are shipped out quickly after an order is placed.

Last edited by a moderator:
i've ordered from them prob 5 times, i get what i want. have to say they are not the fastest of shippers, but never disappointed at the end.

Has anyone looked at their copper bullion? I am seriously consider greatly overpaying for a dozen or two one pound bars of .9995 copper. Possibly, I would also get some incredibly overpriced copper ounces just to say I have some. They are not necessarily precious metal, but I do consider copper to be a lesser monetary metal.

Has anyone looked at their copper bullion? I am seriously consider greatly overpaying for a dozen or two one pound bars of .9995 copper. Possibly, I would also get some incredibly overpriced copper ounces just to say I have some. They are not necessarily precious metal, but I do consider copper to be a lesser monetary metal.

I bought a round at a gun show. Shore is purty.....

@ ancona

You can get almost any element from elementsales.com. I bought a bit of Os (osmium, the rarest non-radioactive metal in the world, also the heaviest metal) from them.

They also sell iridium, which might be cheaper from them vs. looking for the iridium in the "K-T Boundary"........................

I've ordered from Provident monthly for the past 16 months. I've never had an issue. Time between check cashing and shipping is a bit long (approx 1 week), but not a problem for me. The interesting thing is that gold prices have been falling throughout this time period. ( I know. Great investment...)

This most recent order is either the 1st time, or 1 of the first times where gold prices have gone up significantly since the order. Interestingly, Provident is claiming that they never received my check. I used my bank's Billpay service, which I have used every other time. I am concerned that this is a technique utilized by the company to maximize gains and limit losses. (similar to an insurance company automatically denying a certain number of claims, routinely done.)

I am now very wary of ever using them again. I may need to switch to APMEX and suck up the higher costs for more reliability.

Thoughts?
Kevin

Did you have a record of payment via your Billpay service?

The bank does its Billpay a couple of ways. If they have an electronic relationship with the business, they send the payment electronically. If not, then they cut a check which is mailed to the business. My bank does not have an electronic relationship with Provident, and thus a check was sent.

Talked to Provident who claims to not have received the check. My bank gave me the option of stopping payment (without charge). Then, I could re-buy with Provident at the current, higher pricing.

Something is fishy here to me. I think I'm done with Provident.

Kevin

Finally gave these guys a try. Pretty happy with the transaction. I ordered on a Thursday morning, got the pkg. today. Only thing just a little bit odd was they said they would send me an email the day it shipped, well I got the email on Tuesday, even though it shipped Monday. Not a real problem, just an observation.

I have ordered monthly from Provident and NEVER had the slightest problem. I love the e-check feature, low prices, excellent communication when order received, payment received, and order shipped. Also order status and order reviews. Repeat I NEVER had a problem with Provident.

Provident is a part of a larger company (Elemetal), no? Elemetal also owns Ohio Precious Metals, who make kilo gold bars that Provident sells.

I need to look into Elemetal... They appear to be privately owned and BIG.

Check with BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU

No offense, but anyone that WORKS for Provident (or any company) can come on this forum and say...

"Hey, I just bought Gold From XYZ company, and the entire transaction process was amazing!!"

Consumer protection groups like the BBB, TrustLink, BCA - verify every customer that leaves a review, so that you can be sure you're not reading fraudulent reviews... If you know people on this forum that have great reputations and you trust their feedback - then an endorsement is great!

But it takes two minutes to check the BBB - As of today (5/2/14) the BBB gave Provident an A Rating. 23 complaints closed in the last 12 months... An A is NOT a bad rating, but some precious metals dealers have an A+ Rating...

If I'm going to do business, I'm going to choose an A+ company with a LOW number of complaints and a large number of TrustLink reviews also.

... If you know people on this forum that have great reputations and you trust their feedback - then an endorsement is great!...

Yep. When a member joins and their first and only post is a review (or complaint), you have to take it with a grain of salt. Members who have been active in the forum have the proper context to appreciate their comments.

I just received a Platinum Eagle that I ordered recently from Provident.

I paid with Bitcoin!

:)

Ordered Friday, arrived today (Weds), am perfectly happy.

I received my second order from Provident (2014 Gold Eagle). I paid with Bitcoin, and the whole order went smoothly and I received it in about eight (calendar) days.

Two for two with Provident. Both orders w/ BTC, both orders received in a timely manner.

My LAST gold purchase arrived from Provident, shipment arrived several days after I ordered. Everything was fine, I have only good things to say about Provident when paying with Bitcoin.

The only time they were slow was the ONE time I paid by check, they waited for it to clear.

And THAT purchase wraps it up (no more buying gold) for ol' DCRB. My wife wants me spending no more on gold, and so that is that. I am very happy to have bought gold since the 1980s (and a lot more since 2001), so I am OK with what we have. I won't stack any more, I'll just sit on it and look at it...

:)

That makes TWO big changes in my life, sheesh!

I've only been stacking for the last 5 yrs and purchasing online for 3. Provident is one of the first places I check when I'm buying.
Yes, it takes a little while when I pay by check but others are worse.
Only one time did I have a problem with an order. One of the rounds came with a defect. They paid the postage to return and sent me a new one.
I have no complaints about them and I am one who is not shy about pointing out bad service.
Their prices are among the best available and no shipping charges on orders over $99.
I would recommend Provident to anyone looking for a reliable source of PMs.

I forgot to mention that after you have made multiple orders with them, they will add an "e-pay" option to your account. A direct debit from your account. No waiting for the check to get to them and no waiting for it to clear.
I ordered on Sunday, delivery made 6 days later on Saturday.

Provident Metals announced today that it had been acquired by JM Bullion in August 2019.
It appears as though Provident Metals will be maintained as a separate brand from JM Bullion and continue to operate independently. ...

In the announcement from Provident Metals, they indicate that the new ownership structure has allowed them to improve upon their e-commerce and order fulfillment capabilities.

Among the improvements are:

* The return of PayPal and the addition of eCheck/ACH as a payment.

https://findbullionprices.com/blog/jm-bullion-acquires-provident-metals/

I've ordered a few things from Provident and always had a good experience. Packaged and delivered as expected.

fast shipping. products used to be resasonably priced but I've noticed recently they are very high.

Back
Top Bottom