• 2 Post By ancona
  • 1 Post By Cybrsk8r
  • 1 Post By Jay

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2013, 02:52 PM   #1
Yellow Jacket

Liked: 2046 times
2 Birds on the Pad

I drove past two birds on the launch pads today. We have an Atlas V sitting on the pad at 41 and an Atlas IV is over at 37 ready to fly. One is tentatively scheduled for the 15th and the other is slated to fly on the 22nd.

I'll have grandstand seats for both of them on the beach side at LC-17.

The first to fly has only a 19 minute launch window, which makes it doubtful that all the stars align on the first pass, but it has happened before. The second is classified so we won't know when she's flying until they light the candle.

Thirty five years ago I would never have imagined that my career path would lead to some of the coolest shit on planet earth.
PMBug, mmerlinn, rblong2us and 4 others like this.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:24 PM   #2
n00b

Liked: 2 times
Is this at Vandenburg or ? I get the VB LaunchAlerts but rarely get to see 'em fly.

R.
Ragnarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:24 AM   #3
Yellow Jacket

No, this is at Kennedy Space Center. I work at both KSC and CCAFS. The two are separated by a lagoon and a causeway. Some vehicles go up on the Cape side and the only two pads at KSC are 39-A and 39-B. right now, neither pad is active, and we actually have a crew out in one of them taking all of the refractory brick off of the flame trench walls in preparation for application of new refractory cement. The new vehicle also requires a new configuration for the flame diverter, so I am wrecking out that monster as well.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:21 AM   #4
Golden Cockroach

Liked: 2449 times
I'm definitely envious brother. I would truly love to experience that for myself one day.
ancona likes this.

Important stuff: PMBug 101 * Forum Guidelines * Support PMBug
PMBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:39 PM   #5
Yellow Jacket

Let me know if you are in town. I have friends that will schedule business in Miami or Orlando so that it coincides with a launch. The rest is just filling out badge requests and a sponsor form.
PMBug and rblong2us like this.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:24 PM   #6
Fly on the wall

Liked: 31 times
Launches are way cool. I was at a launch from Wallops Island last weekend.
ancona likes this.
Cybrsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:31 PM   #7
Yellow Jacket

I can't think of anything that trumps a shuttle launch. When standing on the roof of the OSB 2 right across the street from the VAB, you are as close as is permitted, but can see the spark rollers throwing sparks at the bottom of the main engines prior to ignition. When the candle is lit, it takes about twelve seconds for the sound and pressure waves to hit. The feeling is quite like being violently shaken while in front of the worlds largest set of twenty four inch bass speakers.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:02 PM   #8
Jay
Yellow Jacket

Liked: 671 times
Originally Posted by ancona View Post:
I can't think of anything that trumps a shuttle launch. When standing on the roof of the OSB 2 right across the street from the VAB, you are as close as is permitted, but can see the spark rollers throwing sparks at the bottom of the main engines prior to ignition. When the candle is lit, it takes about twelve seconds for the sound and pressure waves to hit. The feeling is quite like being violently shaken while in front of the worlds largest set of twenty four inch bass speakers.
saw about twenty launches get scrubbed and even got to see a few go. The closest they would let us was across the bay but the ground still rumbled.
ancona likes this.
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote