Go Back   Precious Metals Forum > Bunker Talk > STS

Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2012, 02:49 PM   #1
Yellow Jacket

Liked: 2046 times
500 mm Mega Millions

Well, wish me luck!

I just played ten tickets through a very good friend on the Mega Millions jackpot. The lump sum after taxes will be $359,000,000 dollars.

If I survived the heart attack, I promise to give it my level best to spend every single nickle before I leave this earth.

Actually, I would most likely purchase one of the many islands available in and around the Dry Tortugas or something, build a nice little compound with total solar power, de-sal plant and a half a dozen discrete employees. I think 150 acres would do nicely.

I wonder how big a stack of monster boxes that would be? As a matter of fact, I might go all college style and build a couch and chairs out of them, get some covers and hand made cushions made, then hide my PM's in plain sight!
rblong2us likes this.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:55 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Liked: 685 times
Originally Posted by ancona View Post:
Well, wish me luck!

I just played ten tickets through a very good friend on the Mega Millions jackpot. The lump sum after taxes will be $359,000,000 dollars.

If I survived the heart attack, I promise to give it my level best to spend every single nickle before I leave this earth.

Actually, I would most likely purchase one of the many islands available in and around the Dry Tortugas or something, build a nice little compound with total solar power, de-sal plant and a half a dozen discrete employees. I think 150 acres would do nicely.

I wonder how big a stack of monster boxes that would be? As a matter of fact, I might go all college style and build a couch and chairs out of them, get some covers and hand made cushions made, then hide my PM's in plain sight!
You could buy over 20,000 monster boxes of American Silver Eagles! Forget the furniture, build the whole house out of them!
ancona likes this.
Never free.

PMBug 101 *** Forum Rules
benjamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:05 PM   #3
Golden Cockroach

Liked: 2449 times
If I wish you luck, and you win, does that mean you owe me?

Important stuff: PMBug 101 * Forum Guidelines * Support PMBug
PMBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:06 PM   #4
KMS

Liked: 119 times
I play every week with a group from work. I'll send every member here with an introduction post a monster box of ASE if I ever win.
ancona likes this.
– Ernest Hemingway

If voting made any difference they wouldn't let us do it - Mark Twain
KMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:31 PM   #5
PM Bug Supporter

Liked: 691 times
Good luck ancona!

Might want to start with one of the below:

1) Buy better neighbors!

2) Bulletproof your house!

3) Move to Monaco and make some new friends!
ancona and rblong2us like this.
DoChenRollingBearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:39 PM   #6
Predaceous stink bug

Liked: 95 times
Originally Posted by KMS View Post:
I play every week with a group from work. I'll send every member here with an introduction post a monster box of ASE if I ever win.

hi, i'm lambone, and i love monster boxes.
silverlady and Island_Dweller like this.
dali lambone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:51 PM   #7
Yellow Jacket

Liked: 2046 times
Originally Posted by DoChenRollingBearing View Post:
Good luck ancona!

Might want to start with one of the below:

1) Buy better neighbors!

2) Bulletproof your house!

3) Move to Monaco and make some new friends!
Actually, The first thing you do is anonomize yourself........disappear for a while. Then, you figure out where you want to live, because wherever you were living, will no longer be acceptable for a myriad of reasons, not the leas of which are lotto stalkers. Once you decide where to go, you convert a shit pile of fiat in to PM's. A good place to keep them would be in a closed down bank branch, that you will buy and turn in to an office of some sort. Not something to attract potential burglars, something liek maybe "The Ancona Syphylis Studies Institute". You know, something to keep the looky-loos away. Then, you build a small compound. For my purposes, a 18 hundred square foot place is plenty big. Then, a couple of 1,000 s.f. guest houses and some workers apartments. A five thousand foot out building for equipment and workshop would also be nice. Three acres of solar panels should be enough to powert my little dreamworld I think [chime in DC], along with producing enough hydrogen to power my vehicles. I could even run medium pressure jacketed lines everywhere to fuel up whenever I need to [think along the lines of a thousand acre spread].

Yeah, that kind of bang bang really gets my imagination going! I think iot is worth a few bucks just to be able to dream about it a little bit.

I can however assure you, buying stupid shit like big boats, mansions, matching hummers, etc. etc. is NOT my style.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:58 PM   #8
PM Bug Supporter

ancona, you actually raise a great point. I have read a couple of times that the FIRST thing you do as a winner is call your lawyer.

But, even the Florida Hillbillies will find out pretty quick about their lucky neighbor.

Take the check, and GTF outa Dodge (GTFOOD, hey, I'll have to go to survivalblog.com to see if I can trademark that acronym).

With that kind of money, I think you should at least go take a LOOK at Monaco (Monte Carlo).

EDIT:

"The Ancona Syphylis Studies Institute"

I like that one! A good sense of humor is a sign of a great mind.
KMS likes this.

Last edited by DoChenRollingBearing; 03-28-2012 at 04:00 PM.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:07 PM   #9

Liked: 459 times
I would do my part to break the comex.
white&yellow999 likes this.
DSAbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 04:39 PM   #10
Predaceous stink bug

Liked: 98 times
Make sure everyone gets tickets!
white&yellow999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:40 AM   #11
KMS

You can have a lawyer claim your winning ticket anonymously on your behalf. 100% correct and this is the way to go in order to protect yourself.
– Ernest Hemingway

Old 03-29-2012, 08:32 AM   #12

You can have a lawyer claim your winning ticket anonymously on your behalf. 100% correct and this is the way to go in order to protect yourself.
From who? The media? Family members? Old friends who want to get into your wallet? I'd have that money out of the country and be living in a tax haven so fast it would make your head spin.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:47 AM   #13
Yellow Jacket

Liked: 1233 times
Paradox - getting ready to bug out for bad times - but also perhaps needing to do so in very good times!

I'd bug out, to say NZ. Just show up as a "businessman" - almost all the good countries will let you in if you've got cash on a level to start a business. So, start one, it doesn't have to be profitable, even - but it makes a great cover for your other spending. And it gets expensive for people to hound you from here - and very expensive to do so in person, so they give up quick when you just throw their begging mail into the trash.

I'd bet no one in NZ or OZ actually checks who is winning American lotteries so if you don't tell them where the money came from, or how much, you're good.
DCFusor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:51 AM   #14

Originally Posted by DCFusor View Post:
I'd bet no one in NZ or OZ actually checks who is winning American lotteries so if you don't tell them where the money came from, or how much, you're good.
Changing your phone number is probably the easiest thing to do. Go down to walmart and buy a burner phone.. in 15 minutes you have a new number. Then cancel your old one. That way you can restrict contact to the people you want to actually interact with.

The biggest problem is actually how to deal with family who continually act irresponsibly with their money. That is where things get complicated. If I won, I'd probably have to allocate about 20% of the holdings into a trust that could be used to pay for college for my 15 nieces and nephews and for actual emergencies. Like someone's house burning down or my parents need a surgery. Not for boob jobs or anything like that. I'd be clear that it wouldn't be used to pay off mortgages either because of tax implications. I'm not going to give someone 100k and then have to give them another 30 to cover their taxes. The more prudent way would be to simply buy the house and make them pay rent. And that's where the slope gets slippery...
Old 03-29-2012, 12:22 PM   #15
KMS

Originally Posted by dereksatkinson View Post:
From who? The media? Family members? Old friends who want to get into your wallet? I'd have that money out of the country and be living in a tax haven so fast it would make your head spin.
Well, the less complete strangers or old 'acquaintances' that know you just hit the money, the better. And yes, I'd prefer a lawyer claiming my win instead of being paraded in front of national TV.
– Ernest Hemingway

Old 03-29-2012, 12:35 PM   #16
PM Bug Supporter

KMS, derek, DCFusor:

Lots of good suggestions there!

ancona, don't worry, I won't ask you for any money!
Old 03-29-2012, 01:03 PM   #17

Well, the less complete strangers or old 'acquaintances' that know you just hit the money, the better. And yes, I'd prefer a lawyer claiming my win instead of being paraded in front of national TV.
I'd wear a gorilla mask.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:32 PM   #18
Ground Beetle

Liked: 554 times
Originally Posted by ancona View Post:
(...)"The Ancona Syphylis Studies Institute"
...ancona, but you DO know you can cure your syphylis now WITHOUT winning the jackpot & funding the institute these days, right?

cheers
bushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 04:34 PM   #19
Yellow Jacket

Liked: 1233 times
If you win, you can always hide here awhile, brother ancona...(or if not, actually).
ancona likes this.
DCFusor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:48 AM   #20
Yellow Jacket

Liked: 872 times
More fun speculating on spending a huge windfall than the actual event i reckon .....

Its important to have unrealised dreams and something to strive for.

What we probably want is not to win a fortune but to hit a 'comfort zone' that removes the stress of uncertainty, without our real friends feeling they have to back away from us, in case they seem like spongers.

Most think otherwise, cos they think their happiness is assured by a mountain of paper.

And would be delighted to prove me wrong (-:

Good luck with the tickets Ancona.

and Do Chens comment about buying some new neighbours ......... kin brilliant !