Precious Metals Forum

Go Back   Precious Metals Forum > Bunker Talk > STS

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2012, 12:25 PM   #1
Yellow Jacket

Liked: 249 times
Snidely Can you break into your house?

So I pretty much made this house- hard to break in. The other day- when I got over to the neighbors- I realized I locked my keys in the house. For 3 hours- I was annoyed. Luckily she has a key.

So how did it happen?

I leaned over to pet the cat, and the keys fell out of my pocket and into the couch.

Which makes me wonder- does anyone actually hide a key??

This lock out- was the cats fault!!!
Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:29 PM   #2
Ground Beetle

Liked: 388 times
I hide keys, but not on the same property as the keys fit. Of course, if I get locked out, it is inconvenient to drive 46 miles round trip so I can get in. Makes me super careful with keys.

http://mmerlinn.com

GOLD is the money of KINGS.
SILVER is the money of GENTLEMEN.
BARTER is the money of PEASANTS.
DEBT is the money of SLAVES.
- Norm Franz
mmerlinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:37 PM   #3
Yellow Jacket

I think my neighbor has a key now for 8 months. The good news is we got some use out of it.

For fun- act like you are locked out- and plot a way to get in- that inspires ideas.

Your idea on wrong key is a good one- time is of the essence on crimes... so to slow it down is a plus.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:48 PM   #4
Golden Cockroach

Liked: 2455 times
I have family nearby that has spare key(s) to my house and vice versa.

Important stuff: PMBug 101 * Forum Guidelines * Support PMBug
PMBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:50 PM   #5
Yellow Jacket

Liked: 1233 times
I developed a little habit of never locking anything unless I had my key in my hand at the time. Pat the keys, pat the wallet, then lock. No exceptions, and it's saved me a few hassles.

Where I live, I don't have to lock anything much. If that's not the case for you... after snarkily saying "move, then", I'd say use a deadbolt only, which you cannot lock without the keys - no way to get locked out unless you lose them while afield.

I have a few dilapidated outbuildings, mostly used for storage. One of them has a key jar, like the old fishbowl full of pennies. Some backup keys for current things are in there - but only I know which couple of the thousands of keys in the jar fit anything. And only I know the skylight on my main home can be opened, and which ladder won't result in your immediate death...
DCFusor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:44 PM   #6
Yellow Jacket

Liked: 2046 times
Well, if someone wants in my house, they're going to get in one way or another, as my coward cats hide under the bed. However, my neighbors are heavily armed and on our side. In addition, if the wife or kid are home, they will shoot to kill. Period. None of that "wounding" shit at my crib, come in uninvited and go out in a bag.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:03 PM   #7
Yellow Jacket

Well, sure, if I'm home, an intruder is in a world of hurt - probably very short lived. I mean, it'd be a matter of which gun to pick up, if I needed one. My sawed off pool cues might be more entertaining when they are appropriate, after blinding them with the 2 million candlepower light. Would that be the FN 5-7, or the carbon 15, or the CZ-97? Decisions, decisions.

But the topic was how not to get locked out, which kind of assumes no one is inside.
Which is why my vehicles have tools - and guns - in them. It's just that most prefer a gentler way of getting in than wrecking a window if it's their own home.

The neighbors thing is one a lot of people don't understand because they've never had an actual community to live in - just "other people" out there. But it's potent as hell where it exists. Those who tell me no one guy can hold off the zombie hoards are missing out on that one. I'm sure that's true, but to get to my nondescript place, which is one of hundreds on my side of the county, you have to go through all my neighbors first - at the very least I get a real good warning, as gossip travels at the speed of light around here, not to mention the sound of gunshots. Why would anyone single me out? This place is hard to find even with directions! If you live in the middle of nowhere, the perimeter of nowhere is your perimeter. And those guys tend to be more watchful and paranoid, since they're at the edge of two unfamiliar worlds.

Last edited by DCFusor; 04-09-2012 at 02:09 PM.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:50 AM   #8

Liked: 280 times
Being a CZ kind of guy I vote for the 97. 18+1 in my SP-01

I always carry an extra set of keys with me. They used to be in my wallet, but leaving a house key in something that contains your address seemed pretty stupid, so I started using a separate keychain from the main one and keep them in a different pocket.
dontdeBasemebro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:02 AM   #9

Liked: 459 times
I hope to have a country home within the next year or so. That's my goal at least...

After that, I will worry more about security. We have an alarm system here but that only does so much good.
DSAbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:48 AM   #10
Yellow Jacket

Liked: 2046 times
If your mailbox is out by the road, and it has a bottom profile, perhaps a hide-a-key stuck to the underside....
Old 04-10-2012, 11:21 AM   #11
Yellow Jacket

I lock my stuff all the time.

Even the shed that nothing is in. It is MY STUFF. MINE.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:56 AM   #12
Yellow Jacket

Good thing you don't have a convertible, then, Penn. I sold one to a pal who first thing he does, put in a good stereo, then leave it in a grocery store parking lot, locked, while riding around with other friends. Returned to a slashed top - which are kind of hard to find for '66 Impalas these days to say the least. This was right across the street from the only cop-shop in 50 miles too.

By ostentatiously locking everything up, you send a signal to the world that you've got something worth stealing (even if you don't!). There's a mixed bag there. Security by obscurity isn't the best sort, but it's better than nothing. Better is to have the impression widely out there that it's not worth stealing from you, either because there's nothing to steal, or because you're such a good guy. That's how I handle the few thieves around this area - I hire them when they need money!

No lock can keep a real thief out for more than a few extra seconds if no one is watching - locks are for honest people. All it takes is a crowbar or a fireman's tool. Or a swift kick if it's a mobile home (though a chainsaw is more dramatic!).

I prefer to handle all these by choice of where to live, and who to live around, basic OPSEC, and social engineering. It works. No strangers even find this area - our neighborhood watch is serious too, and no neighbor is going to steal from me as it would cost them more in help I'd no longer give them than they'd get stealing, and they know it. Finding a real community to live in rates very high with me in terms of quality of life - more important perhaps than some money at the margin.

FWIW, my CZ is the one handgun I have (out of quite a few) that I've never gunsmithed at all on - it's fine as is. It's often the first or second one I hand to a guest to shoot, depending on the guest, as it seems to shoot quite well for everyone, unlike some other guns. Oh, the other one would be my S&W mod 14 with a red dot on it - so easy to shoot well it's not funny, which is very good for abject beginners to learn on - nice to get gratifying results right off if you want to keep the student motivated.

Last edited by DCFusor; 04-10-2012 at 11:59 AM.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:34 PM   #13
PM Bug Supporter

Liked: 691 times
Would be very hard to break into our condo, really only a talented team or insiders (who work here) could do it. Lots of minors barriers have to jumped over.

Agree w/ ancona & DCFusor, that if they are in here, and I get my hands on my gun, they leave dead.

I carry two sets of (key) keys as well.
DoChenRollingBearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 01:52 PM   #14
Yellow Jacket

DoChen, if you think it's hard to break into your condo, you're optimistic as hell.

I've had it done to me by the DEA. Takes milliseconds. If you dress right (black "camo" and baseball caps) no one asks for ID, you just stroll on in and whack the door with a fireman hooligan tool, a ram, or a 10 pound sledge. The neighbors all duck and call each other - and they're in faster than the time it takes to take a breath. If you want full cover, you bring a guy to hold that international symbol of authority - a clipboard. No one questions it. Or a bunch of guys wearing guns, some drawn. Even I didn't - I saved my fight for court, where I won. It's actually a fairly cool story I'll have to relate here at some point.

Of course, I'd use plastique, as I think it's a bit more elegant...
Old 04-10-2012, 02:00 PM   #15
PM Bug Supporter

Liked: 691 times
For the moment I am worried about criminal types burglarizing.

Wait, case could me made that .gov is criminal class too...
DoChenRollingBearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 02:28 PM   #16
Yellow Jacket

That was my point. Criminals can wear gov't costumes whether they work for gov or not.
Old 04-10-2012, 03:53 PM   #17
Yellow Jacket

everything I own is broken- just about everything.
rblong2us likes this.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:35 PM   #18

Liked: 280 times
FYI, around here in the last year or so there were a few break-ins where the perps posed as police to gain entrance or at least make the victim think twice about fighting back.

DC, I shoot IDPA regularly with my CZ and it is flawless. And I'm not an obsessive cleaner or anything, just the normal field strip after a match. One of the reasons I picked it in the first place was due to its tank-like feel, it certainly seems like a gun that will last a lifetime.

PMBug posted recently a thread for door jamb reinforcements. It is not exeactly a vault door, but every second you can delay someone from getting inside is another second for them to reconsider their actions and another second for us to grab the gun and let the dogs out (or vicious attack kitties).
dontdeBasemebro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:37 PM   #19
Yellow Jacket

There are cabins in my area. A cabin is much more likely to be broken into then a house. In fact if you own a cabin- you can count on it being broke into.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:51 PM   #20
Yellow Jacket

Liked: 882 times
Originally Posted by Penn View Post:
everything I own is broken- just about everything.
brokenworld.com - This domain is currently under repair

allyrbrokenstuff rblong2u

Last edited by rblong2us; 04-11-2012 at 01:37 AM.
rblong2us is offline   Reply With Quote