Go Back   Precious Metals Forum > Bunker Talk > STS

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By 11C1P
  • 1 Post By Jay

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2013, 08:12 PM   #1
Yellow Jacket

Liked: 249 times
Thumbs down Contrary to popular perception, there is no "epidemic" of military-related suicides -- even though

Contrary to popular perception, there is no "epidemic" of military-related suicides -- even though President Barack Obama used the word in a speech this summer at the Disabled American Veterans Convention. Among those few whose lives do spiral down toward darkness and despair, the vast majority never take that irrevocable step.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3791325.html
Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:41 PM   #2
Jay
Yellow Jacket

Liked: 671 times
Actually, I think that 22 suicides a day is quite acceptable. It is imperative we start a new war though, the daily suicide rate has passed the kia rate.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_2599019.html
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 04:56 AM   #3
Ground Beetle

Liked: 485 times
Luckily when I was in the operations resulted in fairly low in KIA's like Just Cause, Desert Shield/Storm, Restore Hope, Gothic Serpent, others. There was no one I knew real well that got killed in them, a few I was acquainted with, but not close, but some of my closer friends in my platoon lost friends they were close to from their previous units. I actually was closer to more people who died from car/motorcycle accidents, training accidents, murder and suicide than combat. Dying in battle isn't any better than the others, you're still dead. Of course we glorify and celebrate those that are KIA, not saying that's wrong either, just saying that a lot of people die while serving and not all happen to be engaged in battle, or in a recognized theater when it happens. I tend to not talk a lot about stuff like this but when someone says that 22 suicides a day is ok, and that we should start a war so that the KIA #'s are higher than the suicides is disgusting , and I just can't bite my tongue. Many of those suicides are still battlefield casualties, and the numbers are too high. I am reminded of this quote right now.

"A 'Veteran,' whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve is 'someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact."

Sometimes coming back alive from somewhere is one of the hardest things to deal with for many soldiers. Once the battles are over some of the hardest fighting start in the head, but make no mistake they can and do take a physical toll. Barry might be using soldiers as props for an agenda, but that doesn't the props should be disregarded. No troops should be sent into harms way to balance some numbers. The U.S. should only engage in combat when it involves the security and safety of her citizens, soil, & likewise her close allies.
11C1P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:41 AM   #4
Jay
Yellow Jacket

Liked: 671 times
Originally Posted by 11C1P View Post:
Luckily when I was in the operations resulted in fairly low in KIA's like Just Cause, Desert Shield/Storm, Restore Hope, Gothic Serpent, others. There was no one I knew real well that got killed in them, a few I was acquainted with, but not close, but some of my closer friends in my platoon lost friends they were close to from their previous units. I actually was closer to more people who died from car/motorcycle accidents, training accidents, murder and suicide than combat. Dying in battle isn't any better than the others, you're still dead. Of course we glorify and celebrate those that are KIA, not saying that's wrong either, just saying that a lot of people die while serving and not all happen to be engaged in battle, or in a recognized theater when it happens. I tend to not talk a lot about stuff like this but when someone says that 22 suicides a day is ok, and that we should start a war so that the KIA #'s are higher than the suicides is disgusting , and I just can't bite my tongue. Many of those suicides are still battlefield casualties, and the numbers are too high. I am reminded of this quote right now.

"A 'Veteran,' whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve is 'someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact."

Sometimes coming back alive from somewhere is one of the hardest things to deal with for many soldiers. Once the battles are over some of the hardest fighting start in the head, but make no mistake they can and do take a physical toll. Barry might be using soldiers as props for an agenda, but that doesn't the props should be disregarded. No troops should be sent into harms way to balance some numbers. The U.S. should only engage in combat when it involves the security and safety of her citizens, soil, & likewise her close allies.
I was being sarcastic. I am less than impressed with the whole war thing. My "Christian" neighbor says he is gong to heaven cause he killed X number of filthy muslims. he told me we need to kill ALL muslims, men women and children as they are enemies of Jesus Christ. We have not engaged in combat "for the safety" of our citizens since WW2. Just my .02 cents. If you are one of the "citizens" duped into fighting I feel for you.
DCFusor likes this.
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 01:43 PM   #5
Predaceous stink bug

Liked: 31 times
Although, there are lots of crisis and poverty-related suicides. In Greece and other EU countries... I hear.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear that about Detroit.
Potemkin is offline   Reply With Quote