• 2 Post By ancona
  • 3 Post By ancona
  • 2 Post By DoChenRollingBearing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2014, 02:23 PM   #1
Yellow Jacket

Liked: 2046 times
Delta IV launch thursday

tomorrow night between 8:40 and 8:59, a Delta IV rocket carrying a next gen GPS satellite will blast off from Cape Canaveral. anyone within around a thousand miles should be able to see it if the night sky is clear.
rblong2us likes this.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:50 AM   #2
Ground Beetle

Liked: 388 times
Originally Posted by ancona View Post:
tomorrow night between 8:40 and 8:59, a Delta IV rocket carrying a next gen GPS satellite will blast off from Cape Canaveral. anyone within around a thousand miles should be able to see it if the night sky is clear.
I am assuming that is local time (EST?).
ancona likes this.

http://mmerlinn.com

GOLD is the money of KINGS.
SILVER is the money of GENTLEMEN.
BARTER is the money of PEASANTS.
DEBT is the money of SLAVES.
- Norm Franz
mmerlinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:28 AM   #3
Ground Beetle

Liked: 504 times
Remember when we used to be able to send humans to space? Heck when I was little we were still landing people on the moon. Now we have to hitch a ride with the Russians. Now there is no more concord flying either. For as much technology advancements as we seem to have gained, we seemed to have taken a few steps back in a lot of areas too.
ancona likes this.
11C1P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:44 AM   #4
Yellow Jacket

11CIP, I agree with you 100%.

I am a civilian contractor working at NASA and Cape Canaveral Air Station for over twenty years now and I can say with certainty that we are slowly dismantling our old space launch infrastructure. However, in its place we have been working to modify existing structures and support apparatus in the VAB for the Constellation/Orion vehicles, which are actually larger than Apollo.

A new mobile launch platform has already been built and sits just to the north of the VAB. There is an RFP under consideration as I type for massive alterations to be performed in High Bay 3 of the VAB which will be where the new heavy lift vehicle will be stacked for flight. At this time, My firm has the largest work backlog in our history and 98% of it is either CCAFS or NASA.

Launch Complex 39-B is currently being massively modified for the new mission. My firm removed the old flame deflector structure, the rainbird water delivery system [sound suppression] and all of the refractory brick from the trench walls. Seventeen other projects are running concurrent with our task. Within 18 months, the LC will be prepared and ready to accept the mew MLP and whatever vehicle they place on it for launch.

The two huge liquid propellant vessels [hydrogen and oxygen] have been completely refurbished. The million gallon elevated water tank [285' tall tank for the deluge system] has been completely sandblasted and epoxy coated. At this time, a new deluge system is being fabricated to service the new launch configuration.

I would say that all in all, we're pretty much on-track to begin servicing our own space needs again by around 2016.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:49 PM   #5
Ground Beetle

Liked: 388 times
Originally Posted by ancona View Post:

I would say that all in all, we're pretty much on-track to begin servicing our own space needs again by around 2016.
Assuming, of course, that we actually have any money to do that. We are on course for a financial meltdown that may put survival ahead of any 'toys' that we may want to play with.

http://mmerlinn.com

GOLD is the money of KINGS.
SILVER is the money of GENTLEMEN.
BARTER is the money of PEASANTS.
DEBT is the money of SLAVES.
- Norm Franz
mmerlinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 12:59 PM   #6
Ground Beetle

Liked: 504 times
I think we would be better served by a permanent moon base than a space station. Humans would fare better long term in the light gravity than zero gravity and the base could be come a place to slowly stockpile everything astronauts would need to take on longer missions to mars or wherever. They could still have the space station or a smaller version for doing the zero g testing and experiments, but I think a permanent moon base would be healthier for the guys staying there for several months at a time, and in the long run more would get done there than in a space station.
11C1P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 03:53 PM   #7
Yellow Jacket

Liked: 882 times
Originally Posted by mmerlinn View Post:
Assuming, of course, that we actually have any money to do that. We are on course for a financial meltdown that may put survival ahead of any 'toys' that we may want to play with.
Thats the fun thing about being able to print money.
You can then pay for things that otherwise would not happen ....

And those who control, will not relinquish this ability without a fight.
They are not stupid and could yet see off China in the currency war.
Old 02-20-2014, 04:04 PM   #8
Yellow Jacket

Originally Posted by mmerlinn View Post:
Naturally, i agree with the above point, however I will continue to perform on these contracts and bank any profits I can until that time comes.
mmerlinn and rblong2us like this.
Old 02-21-2014, 08:22 AM   #9
Yellow Jacket

What a great launch! During the last twelve seconds of a 19 minute window it finally went up. I was at the end of Schwartz Road in the KSC Industrial Area, so I had the best possible view at the closest approach you can get. The whole world lights up when they light the candle at night.

This shit never gets old for me.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:04 AM   #10
PM Bug Supporter

Liked: 691 times

A guy I know in NC bases his voting on just one issue:

Who will get us into space fastest?

He thinks long-term...

ancona and rblong2us like this.
DoChenRollingBearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 03:41 PM   #11
Yellow Jacket

Liked: 882 times