Precious Metals Forum

Go Back   Precious Metals Forum > Bunker Talk > STS

Like Tree39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2012, 06:21 PM   #1
Yellow Jacket

Liked: 249 times
Liberty East coast in a panic over storm

PA is declared a state of emergency school cancelled- PPL called me to tell me my power could be out "for up to a week or longer".

Tho for my area it looks mild- 60 MPH winds- and up to 8 inches of rain- the river is low- so we could escape flooding. I sure hope we dont lose power.
Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:27 PM   #2
Predaceous stink bug

Liked: 40 times
yea, down here in adams county, schools are canceled. gonna get pretty decent winds. i picked up a cast iron griddle to go with my other cast iron cookware for use on our wood stove in case of power outage, and pulled in a good size wood stack into the basement to keep it dry.
benjamen likes this.
oppie2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:38 PM   #3
Yellow Jacket

Liked: 1233 times
Spent the last two days adding supports and gussets to the new solar farm install, and nailing down everything I possibly could - wood indoors (for stove) check, fresh propane on all heaters, check, truck parked in case I need emergency tiedown for solar farm, check - food - had already and so on. I took a "pre" movie of the prep, which is uploading now. If we get what it looks like on the radar, there will be a post video I'll put up with it for the "before and after" here. We're getting strong winds from the North (very unusual here) already.
benjamen likes this.
DCFusor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:59 PM   #4

Liked: 280 times
You guys keep your head down and us posted. Good luck!
dontdeBasemebro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:16 PM   #5
Yellow Jacket

Schools are closed.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:17 AM   #6
Golden Cockroach

Liked: 2449 times
Be smart and stay safe. Cheers.

Important stuff: PMBug 101 * Forum Guidelines * Support PMBug
PMBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:33 AM   #7
Predaceous stink bug

its been raining here for a couple of hours now. nothing big, not accumulating very much in my buckets yet.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:46 AM   #8
Ground Beetle

Liked: 306 times
Obama gets to cancel the election and declare a state of emergency for the east coast- right on queue. Imagine that.
swissaustrian and oppie2005 like this.

H. L. Mencken

comparegoldandsilverprices.com
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:21 AM   #9
Fly on the wall

Liked: 31 times
Ready in Maryland

I added two extra deep-cycle batteries to my back-up power set-up over the weekend. So now I can be up and running with one set of batteries while I charge the other set by jumper cabling it to my running car. Have three battery operated lanterns and enough D batteries to light up a small town. Have a gas stove for cooking.
Cybrsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:23 AM   #10
Yellow Jacket

I woke up today and has power- a town 15 miles away does not.

Sky is dreary- river is a deep gray- some light rain- and light wind.

For the past 4 days my pain levels thru the roof.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:31 AM   #11
ADK
Predaceous stink bug

Liked: 123 times
Schools are closing early up here in the Adirondacks... We have food, fuel, energy, and communications ready to go at the house.

I'm not expecting disaster proportions and I'm not in a panic. But, if it gets bad the ADK family is ready

Everyone stay dry!

ADK
oppie2005 likes this.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:40 AM   #12
Yellow Jacket

Just went out to check things, start a generator etc. We are having snow at the moment, not a lot, mixed with rain, all melting as it hits - it hasn't been cold up till now, it is cold now. Some wind, nothing to write home about (yet).

Fusorland pretty battened down at the moment. Forgot to get the special food for my ageing cat, she's pissed. I might go to town while I can and get that one taken care of too. Looks like my roof-leak fix worked.

Funny, the other cats know something is up. They are normally outdoor cats by choice, and the weather at this instant is nothing special for them. But they are "asking" me what's wrong and can they come in if it gets worse (of course, my friends). But they somehow know this is going to get very interesting. Could be them reacting to all the prep the last few days, but they didn't react then, just now.

Y'all keep safe! Here's the "before" movie here. About the same now except everything is now really wet and cold.

Edit:
On this map there's a little cross at a place called FCX. I'm almost touching that spot.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:41 AM   #13
Jay
Yellow Jacket

Liked: 671 times
for anyone interested, go to storm2k talkin tropics forum (weather forum). This thing is BAD. On safford simpson scale 5.6, much worse than Katrina. The news is only reporting the wind speed (which makes it a cat 1) but the storm surge and size make it the worse EVER. Stay safe, severe flooding has already begun according to storm2k and evacuation is already impossible in many places, and the storm is still eight hours away. Stay safe.
swissaustrian and ancona like this.
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:04 AM   #14
Predaceous stink bug

Liked: 134 times
Godspeed to all in the path of the storm.
Please be safe!!!
swissaustrian likes this.
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:33 AM   #15
Yellow Jacket

Liked: 925 times
Labor Department Says No Decision Yet on Whether to Delay [October] Jobs Report (until after the election...)
http://blogs.wsj.com/economics/2012/...y-jobs-report/
Sandy has to take the blame for a lot of things now.
swissaustrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:04 PM   #16
Yellow Jacket

Liked: 872 times
were having it pretty tough too here in blighty.

The clocks all suddenly gained an hour on Saturday night and ever since, i have had to put a jumper on when i go outside ..........

ive even heard talk of fires being lit (-:
Old 10-29-2012, 02:46 PM   #17
Yellow Jacket

So far, so good. Light rain and light snow melting as it hits, gusts to about 30 mph.
As you can see on this map: http://www.intellicast.com/National/...ation=USVA0277

(Note, this is real time and updates every 15 min or so)

FCX (radar about 5 miles from me) shows the storm breaking up and leaving me in a hole in the action. Heh, not all locations are created equal, this frequently happens.

Of course, with something like this, all bets are off - we'll just wait and see. Looks like the worst gets to me tomorrow, more or less. No trees snapping off yet, or neighbors coming over to shelter. There is zero worry about rain here, other than it makes trees fall down if there's a lot over a long time, turning the ground to mush.
I'm halfway up a mountain - winds go by mostly up top, floods beneath me. If any of you are looking for rural land - hint...
oppie2005 and bushi like this.
Old 10-29-2012, 02:58 PM   #18
Predaceous stink bug

Originally Posted by DCFusor View Post:
So far, so good. Light rain and light snow melting as it hits, gusts to about 30 mph.
As you can see on this map: http://www.intellicast.com/National/...ation=USVA0277

(Note, this is real time and updates every 15 min or so)

FCX (radar about 5 miles from me) shows the storm breaking up and leaving me in a hole in the action. Heh, not all locations are created equal, this frequently happens.

Of course, with something like this, all bets are off - we'll just wait and see. Looks like the worst gets to me tomorrow, more or less. No trees snapping off yet, or neighbors coming over to shelter. There is zero worry about rain here, other than it makes trees fall down if there's a lot over a long time, turning the ground to mush.
I'm halfway up a mountain - winds go by mostly up top, floods beneath me. If any of you are looking for rural land - hint...
your area is actually quite the perfect spot for me to be looking for some land, as i could get there with a full fillup(both tanks) of my truck, and is pretty much the middle from where im coming to where i'd be going.

hows the land prices? is the soil tillable?
Old 10-29-2012, 03:19 PM   #19
Yellow Jacket

Land prices vary all over depending on the usual (and unusual) factors - how much road frontage, how flat it is, does it have water. Call it $500/acre for a vertical north facing slope, or $4-8k/acre for the nicer stuff, depending. Of course, it's not ala-carte, it's sold in chunks from ~10 acres up, and with and without a home on it already.

Soil varies all over the place. Mostly clay soil. If you can find a flat enough place to garden, yes you can till it, and it's not very rocky. Most farmers here do cattle, who don't care as long as grass grows on it (and it does, all too well). We put tons of spoiled hay and horse manure we get free on the garden every year, and now you can punch the garden and your fist goes in halfway to the elbow. I only till this every few years - it only needs it if I've let it be fallow and grow grass for a year. Those first couple years are tough, but it gets easier and easier as you add organic stuff to the soil.
We just lay it on there and let it compost in place. Less work, better results, everything that leaches out of the compost (compost tea) goes right where it should, all free and no work. We call it composting via mulch - you get weeds, add more mulch to bury them.
Old 10-29-2012, 03:23 PM   #20
Yellow Jacket

Liked: 2046 times
As large as this storm and as low as the pressure is, I lived south of 188th St. SW in Florida during Andrew and lost EVERYTHING. We moved to Central Florida and caught Charley Francis and Jeanne over a decade later. I was actually out of freaking town working on clean up and remediation at NAS Pensacola after Ivan when Hurricane Dennis rolled through, and each of these storms were significantly higher winds than Sandy. What makes Sandy different is the sheer size of the wind field, which is around a thousand miles across. That my friends is fucking nuts! While tropical storm winds are something we don't even think twice about here, up north folks have not built buildings to withstand sustained winds and the trees cannot take a hard blow for very long. Down here, we cut our trees back to permit a lot of flow-through so the wind doesn't drop them on our homes.

That said, winds of 80 mph don't really scare me, it's the idiots who freak out that scare me. When I see these bobbleheads panicking on TV I worry for the people who listen to too much hype, then when something bigger threatens they will not listen and as a result they get killed because the TV cried wolf the last time. Sure, there will be some flooding, power outages and eventually a lot of mold to clean up, but if a true cat 2 or 3 hurricane ever blows through, I will worry for the people who were panicked this time and made to believe it was Arrmageddon when I was nothing but a really big thunderstorm.
DCFusor and Jay like this.