East coast in a panic over storm

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Penn

Yellow Jacket
Reaction score
PA is declared a state of emergency school cancelled- PPL called me to tell me my power could be out "for up to a week or longer".

Tho for my area it looks mild- 60 MPH winds- and up to 8 inches of rain- the river is low- so we could escape flooding. I sure hope we dont lose power.

yea, down here in adams county, schools are canceled. gonna get pretty decent winds. i picked up a cast iron griddle to go with my other cast iron cookware for use on our wood stove in case of power outage, and pulled in a good size wood stack into the basement to keep it dry.

Spent the last two days adding supports and gussets to the new solar farm install, and nailing down everything I possibly could - wood indoors (for stove) check, fresh propane on all heaters, check, truck parked in case I need emergency tiedown for solar farm, check - food - had already and so on. I took a "pre" movie of the prep, which is uploading now. If we get what it looks like on the radar, there will be a post video I'll put up with it for the "before and after" here. We're getting strong winds from the North (very unusual here) already.

Be smart and stay safe. Cheers.

its been raining here for a couple of hours now. nothing big, not accumulating very much in my buckets yet.

Obama gets to cancel the election and declare a state of emergency for the east coast- right on queue. Imagine that.

Ready in Maryland

I added two extra deep-cycle batteries to my back-up power set-up over the weekend. So now I can be up and running with one set of batteries while I charge the other set by jumper cabling it to my running car. Have three battery operated lanterns and enough D batteries to light up a small town. Have a gas stove for cooking.

I woke up today and has power- a town 15 miles away does not.

Sky is dreary- river is a deep gray- some light rain- and light wind.

For the past 4 days my pain levels thru the roof.

Schools are closing early up here in the Adirondacks... We have food, fuel, energy, and communications ready to go at the house.

I'm not expecting disaster proportions and I'm not in a panic. But, if it gets bad the ADK family is ready :)

Everyone stay dry!

ADK

Just went out to check things, start a generator etc. We are having snow at the moment, not a lot, mixed with rain, all melting as it hits - it hasn't been cold up till now, it is cold now. Some wind, nothing to write home about (yet).

Fusorland pretty battened down at the moment. Forgot to get the special food for my ageing cat, she's pissed. I might go to town while I can and get that one taken care of too. Looks like my roof-leak fix worked.

Funny, the other cats know something is up. They are normally outdoor cats by choice, and the weather at this instant is nothing special for them. But they are "asking" me what's wrong and can they come in if it gets worse (of course, my friends). But they somehow know this is going to get very interesting. Could be them reacting to all the prep the last few days, but they didn't react then, just now.

Y'all keep safe! Here's the "before" movie here. About the same now except everything is now really wet and cold.

[ame]http://youtu.be/7oqfApvdMhI[/ame]

Edit:
On this map there's a little cross at a place called FCX. I'm almost touching that spot.

for anyone interested, go to storm2k talkin tropics forum (weather forum). This thing is BAD. On safford simpson scale 5.6, much worse than Katrina. The news is only reporting the wind speed (which makes it a cat 1) but the storm surge and size make it the worse EVER. Stay safe, severe flooding has already begun according to storm2k and evacuation is already impossible in many places, and the storm is still eight hours away. Stay safe.

Godspeed to all in the path of the storm.
Please be safe!!!

were having it pretty tough too here in blighty.

The clocks all suddenly gained an hour on Saturday night and ever since, i have had to put a jumper on when i go outside ..........

ive even heard talk of fires being lit (-:

So far, so good. Light rain and light snow melting as it hits, gusts to about 30 mph.
As you can see on this map: http://www.intellicast.com/National/Radar/Current.aspx?animate=true&location=USVA0277

(Note, this is real time and updates every 15 min or so)

FCX (radar about 5 miles from me) shows the storm breaking up and leaving me in a hole in the action. Heh, not all locations are created equal, this frequently happens.

Of course, with something like this, all bets are off - we'll just wait and see. Looks like the worst gets to me tomorrow, more or less. No trees snapping off yet, or neighbors coming over to shelter. There is zero worry about rain here, other than it makes trees fall down if there's a lot over a long time, turning the ground to mush.
I'm halfway up a mountain - winds go by mostly up top, floods beneath me. If any of you are looking for rural land - hint...

So far, so good. Light rain and light snow melting as it hits, gusts to about 30 mph.
As you can see on this map: http://www.intellicast.com/National/Radar/Current.aspx?animate=true&location=USVA0277

(Note, this is real time and updates every 15 min or so)

FCX (radar about 5 miles from me) shows the storm breaking up and leaving me in a hole in the action. Heh, not all locations are created equal, this frequently happens.

Of course, with something like this, all bets are off - we'll just wait and see. Looks like the worst gets to me tomorrow, more or less. No trees snapping off yet, or neighbors coming over to shelter. There is zero worry about rain here, other than it makes trees fall down if there's a lot over a long time, turning the ground to mush.
I'm halfway up a mountain - winds go by mostly up top, floods beneath me. If any of you are looking for rural land - hint...

your area is actually quite the perfect spot for me to be looking for some land, as i could get there with a full fillup(both tanks) of my truck, and is pretty much the middle from where im coming to where i'd be going.

hows the land prices? is the soil tillable?

Land prices vary all over depending on the usual (and unusual) factors - how much road frontage, how flat it is, does it have water. Call it $500/acre for a vertical north facing slope, or $4-8k/acre for the nicer stuff, depending. Of course, it's not ala-carte, it's sold in chunks from ~10 acres up, and with and without a home on it already.

Soil varies all over the place. Mostly clay soil. If you can find a flat enough place to garden, yes you can till it, and it's not very rocky. Most farmers here do cattle, who don't care as long as grass grows on it (and it does, all too well). We put tons of spoiled hay and horse manure we get free on the garden every year, and now you can punch the garden and your fist goes in halfway to the elbow. I only till this every few years - it only needs it if I've let it be fallow and grow grass for a year. Those first couple years are tough, but it gets easier and easier as you add organic stuff to the soil.
We just lay it on there and let it compost in place. Less work, better results, everything that leaches out of the compost (compost tea) goes right where it should, all free and no work. We call it composting via mulch - you get weeds, add more mulch to bury them.

As large as this storm and as low as the pressure is, I lived south of 188th St. SW in Florida during Andrew and lost EVERYTHING. We moved to Central Florida and caught Charley Francis and Jeanne over a decade later. I was actually out of freaking town working on clean up and remediation at NAS Pensacola after Ivan when Hurricane Dennis rolled through, and each of these storms were significantly higher winds than Sandy. What makes Sandy different is the sheer size of the wind field, which is around a thousand miles across. That my friends is fucking nuts! While tropical storm winds are something we don't even think twice about here, up north folks have not built buildings to withstand sustained winds and the trees cannot take a hard blow for very long. Down here, we cut our trees back to permit a lot of flow-through so the wind doesn't drop them on our homes.

That said, winds of 80 mph don't really scare me, it's the idiots who freak out that scare me. When I see these bobbleheads panicking on TV I worry for the people who listen to too much hype, then when something bigger threatens they will not listen and as a result they get killed because the TV cried wolf the last time. Sure, there will be some flooding, power outages and eventually a lot of mold to clean up, but if a true cat 2 or 3 hurricane ever blows through, I will worry for the people who were panicked this time and made to believe it was Arrmageddon when I was nothing but a really big thunderstorm.

As large as this storm and as low as the pressure is, I lived south of 188th St. SW in Florida during Andrew and lost EVERYTHING. We moved to Central Florida and caught Charley Francis and Jeanne over a decade later. I was actually out of freaking town working on clean up and remediation at NAS Pensacola after Ivan when Hurricane Dennis rolled through, and each of these storms were significantly higher winds than Sandy. What makes Sandy different is the sheer size of the wind field, which is around a thousand miles across. That my friends is fucking nuts! While tropical storm winds are something we don't even think twice about here, up north folks have not built buildings to withstand sustained winds and the trees cannot take a hard blow for very long. Down here, we cut our trees back to permit a lot of flow-through so the wind doesn't drop them on our homes.

That said, winds of 80 mph don't really scare me, it's the idiots who freak out that scare me. When I see these bobbleheads panicking on TV I worry for the people who listen to too much hype, then when something bigger threatens they will not listen and as a result they get killed because the TV cried wolf the last time. Sure, there will be some flooding, power outages and eventually a lot of mold to clean up, but if a true cat 2 or 3 hurricane ever blows through, I will worry for the people who were panicked this time and made to believe it was Arrmageddon when I was nothing but a really big thunderstorm.

A., from what I understand is that what makes this storm so bad is the low pressure, lower than any in recorded history. They are saying that although it has a cat 1 wind field, it is a cat 6 for storm surge. Which, according to what I am reading, makes the water threat from storm surge so dangerous. Am reading in real time of seawalls collapsing, etc. currently endangering 9500 people who decided to stay and ride it out. And the thing isn't even here yet...

real time posts:
http://www.storm2k.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=114017&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=2840

I was in St. Pete for Andrew and am so glad I missed it. I don't want anything to do with a hurricane...

I may have phrased this wrong, it wasn't meant to sound snarky or anything. I agree fully with you.

Last edited:
NY flooding big time now, set all time record of 11.41 feet. High tide still two hours away. Its gonna be an epic night. Crane, building collapsed.

Pretty windy here... less than 50 mph sustained... occasional gusts. Doesn't seem like a big deal.

Lots of power outages, but they are addressing them pretty quickly.

Skeptical me figured a "wolf cry" from the talking heads.

Everyone be safe.

ADK

Still kicking in MD

Power is still up here in the DC suburbs. A few flickers here. VERY heavy rain.

lights here have flickered a couple times, but haven't completely lost power yet. wind is steady for the most part with a gust from time to time....and still raining.

I just saw an interview from ConEdison...

If the water rises just a bit more in NYC, it will impact the financial markets and potentially close them until the end of the week.

That would be interesting.

:popcorn:

I still have power- tho 2400 do not in the area

Funny, the other cats know something is up. They are normally outdoor cats by choice, and the weather at this instant is nothing special for them. But they are "asking" me what's wrong and can they come in if it gets worse (of course, my friends). But they somehow know this is going to get very interesting. Could be them reacting to all the prep the last few days, but they didn't react then, just now.
Back when I had cable there was once a show on it about natural disasters and how animals seemed to know when things were about to kick off. It said that some animals can be more sensative to things like pressure changes, ground vibrations, and magnetic fields than humans, to the point where they can sense tremors just before an earthquate or the low pressure of an oncoming storm.

Pretty windy here... less than 50 mph sustained... occasional gusts. Doesn't seem like a big deal.

Lots of power outages, but they are addressing them pretty quickly.

Skeptical me figured a "wolf cry" from the talking heads.

Everyone be safe.

ADK

water now at 13.20, NYC reporting subways starting to flood. salt water and electrical wiring don't mix. Speculation that subways may be down for weeks. No more transportation in the big apple. (90% of the people ride the subway). Outta get REAL interesting soon. First death reported, toppled tree. Kings Pont expecting 19 feet. This is for real, folks. :)

I just saw an interview from ConEdison...

If the water rises just a bit more in NYC, it will impact the financial markets and potentially close them until the end of the week.

That would be interesting.

:popcorn:

wall street now flooding. Electrical generation plants under wall street. outta be interesting.

2.8 million with out power.

The hurricane is now over and the second storm is beginning, will be coming onshore the rest of the night.

13.40, getting faster now.

OK, official now, subways to be closed at least a week:

Some sobering tweets in the last few moments:

"@SeverePlains: Economic impact rising, NYC MTA has confirmed that the subway system has flooded & will likely remain shut down 4 rest of the week."

"@ChaserCentral: RT @YourAnonNews: Ch. 7 is on the phone with mta chairman. Water in the tunnels in lower manhattan. Mta out for atleast a week."

"@cnnbrk: Due to floodwaters generated by #Sandy, the Port Authority has closed LaGuardia Airport until further notice. http://on.cnn.com/Pg1gMd ."

"‏@stormchaser4850: DEVELOPING: Gov. Andrew Cuomo's office has confirmed at least 5 storm-related fatalities in New York via @WSJNY #Sandy."

-----

EDIT: "@wunderground: Official MTA Twitter account confirms that NYC Subway is flooded. http://www.flickr.com/photos/mtaphotos/8136873915/ …"

tunnels flooding:
I'm trying to find confirmation of that. It is not yet on the MTA Twitter feed. BUT the MTA Official Twitter feed does include news of flooding of Brooklyn Battery Tunnel.

https://twitter.com/MTAInsider/with_replies

MTA ‏@MTAInsider
Traffic surveillance camera shows floodwaters in the Hugh L. Carey Tunnel (Brooklyn Battery Tunnel.)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mtaphotos/8136873915/

East River and Hudson river overtopping and flooding.

one million without power in Jersey:
http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2012/10/more_than_one_million_nj_resid_1.html

OK guys, I'm tired of this ambulance chasing, good night!

Hope you peeps all got canoes as part of your BSTS preparedness. :paperbag:

Financial markets aren't discounting huge damages by the way.
Europe's largest insurance companies Allianz (+ 2.79 EUR / 3.00 %) and Zurich (+ 1.00 CHF / 0.44 %) are green today.
So are re-insurance giants Munich Re (+ 0.45 EUR / 0.37 %) and Swiss Re (+ 0.75 CHF / 1.19 %).

Thanks Jay!

I don't know how to tweeter but......whatever.

Thanks for the updates.

hey Ancona, I don't know how to "tweet" either (is that on a cell phone, don't have one). Copied that stuff off of storm2k. Best, Jay

That is a cool site by the way Jay. I spent some time lurking last night and this a.m. They had a lot of real-time updates.

Thanks for the link.

Back
Top Bottom