East coast in a panic over storm

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Oppie, if I'm on the way to somewhere you go, you should just visit and get the 10c tour. I'm sure we can find out pretty quick what is locally listed right now. Of course, that's not the smart way to buy land around here, but it would give you an idea.

The smart way is to be here and pay attention to the auctions that happen when some old person dies, and the kids break up the land and auction it off to get quick money. The other smart way is to anticipate this - connections - so you get a call when such a thing happens. "That land you were interested in is now available" kind of thing.

Storm has so far been a big fat Meh. Well, it got cold very fast, a little bit of snow, wind enough to make things whistle (cool!)...and that's about it. No damage in fusorland as of the moment. Still windy, not fun to be outdoors, that's about it.
About 1/4" of the 5 feet of predicted snow has landed so far. We're still having more or less the same "conditions" for a couple days, so who knows, but so far, so good.
Actually getting enough solar power today (it's cloudy-dark) to be here...could be worse.

You gotta love it when a plan comes together.

DC, if that is an offer to give a 10c tour, ill keep it in mind for my next trip down that path.

Sure, just give me a heads-up in a PM so we can set it up (and I can point you to good directions to here).

Yup, kitties all fine - everything fine except I haven't yet stacked enough wood for the winter heating. Gotta fix that one. Even the outdoor cats suddenly get good house manners when the punishment for being bad is having to go out and get wet and cold again.

Funny, when I was a kid and I was bad, the punishment was often "go to your room" which of course where all my fun toys were anyway. When it's nice out....same deal with the outside cats. When it's nasty - they listen up.

our power is back up now. my youngest son (he's 3) didnt understand why he couldnt have hot chocolate, a toaster strudel, or why the tv doesnt work. my oldest son (5) was fine with everything, power being off didnt bother him a bit. i wish our power would have stayed out a few more days though lol.

Funny, when I was a kid and I was bad, the punishment was often "go to your room" which of course where all my fun toys were anyway. When it's nice out....same deal with the outside cats. When it's nasty - they listen up.

Funny. My family is asian, the WORST punishment you could have (we never used) would be to "go to your room". (separation from the herd.) No one I know can figure out why Amerikans throw their kids out when they are 18. (My personal feeling is that this is going to come back and bite them in the ass later when they are old). Yesterday at work, a lady was ridiculing me about our 28 year old still living at home (he got two degrees and was self supporting, including paying off the student loans during that time. living four hours away). I was speechless, how venomous she was.

Here are some good pictures:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...Sandy-2012-pictures-FIFTY-DEAD--NOT-over.html

That's a cultural issue. There are good and bad aspects to both approaches. The American culture fosters a spirit of independence and individualism and, more subtley, a necessity to develop a network of peer support (social skills). "Throw kids out" is also an extreme characterization. Most every kid I knew in high school was ready and eager to take on the world on their own terms by their senior year in high school.

our power is back up now. my youngest son (he's 3) didnt understand why he couldnt have hot chocolate, a toaster strudel, or why the tv doesnt work. my oldest son (5) was fine with everything, power being off didnt bother him a bit. i wish our power would have stayed out a few more days though lol.

This reminds me of a time when my family lost power as a kid. It took my youngest brother a while to grasp the concept. When he couldn't watch television due to lack of electricity, he suggested playing on the computer. When we told him we couldn't because of the power outage, he suggested we play on the nintendo in other room. Fast forward through him suggesting we cook popcorn in the microwave, listen to the radio, and couple others and the whole family is laughing at my confused brother.
:rotflmbo:

That's a cultural issue. There are good and bad aspects to both approaches. The American culture fosters a spirit of independence and individualism and, more subtley, a necessity to develop a network of peer support (social skills). "Throw kids out" is also an extreme characterization. Most every kid I knew in high school was ready and eager to take on the world on their own terms by their senior year in high school.

I think this is probably a very brief privilege of a first world, oil rich country. I doubt the history of mankind supports this. We are, like it or not, about to revert to extended families.

This reminds me of a time when my family lost power as a kid. It took my youngest brother a while to grasp the concept. When he couldn't watch television due to lack of electricity, he suggested playing on the computer. When we told him we couldn't because of the power outage, he suggested we play on the nintendo in other room. Fast forward through him suggesting we cook popcorn in the microwave, listen to the radio, and couple others and the whole family is laughing at my confused brother.

I remember when my now 17 year old was perhaps 2. He kept trying to use toys that had dead batteries, when we explained to him that the toy wouldn't work because the battery was dead, he promptly went looking for new batteries. I remember being amazed that he made the connection that fast, that young.

But of course, he told me he had figured out how grocery stores worked. You get your groceries, and the cashier pays for them. :)

I think this is probably a very brief privilege of a first world, oil rich country. I doubt the history of mankind supports this. We are, like it or not, about to revert to extended families.

That sounds about right to me. I'm guessing that families and the age of striking out on your own had a different flavor (in the USA) prior to the industrial revolution.

That sounds about right to me. I'm guessing that families and the age of striking out on your own had a different flavor (in the USA) prior to the industrial revolution.

It would be hard to compare present day to that era. In that time it was common to finish formal schooling and start a trade apprenticeship around the age of 13 and by 18 be fully trained in your choosen career (with little to no debt). Now it is common to not be fully trained until your mid-twenties with a mountain of debt to get there.

my youngest was opening up the refrigerator door when the electricity came back on.....he thinks he fixed the power. lol

I went back but couldn't find the post, it might have been DCFusor, saying that he would sell batteries. Whoever posted it, this ones for you:

A pair of D-batteries for $6.99.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/49622944

Anyone care to comment on the effects of storm sandy ?

Simply not able to gauge the real effect of this one, but it doesnt somehow seem like its as bad as the msm would have us think ......

And for anyone who did get negatively effected, i hope you recover quickly.

Oh and we usually get a spell of rotten weather a week or so after a big storm has finished doing its worst for the US, as it continues to track across the atlantic, weakening but still pretty energetic when it gets here ( UK)

Relative to all of the hurricanes I have ridden out, this was little more than a stiff breeze. The damages that occurred were largely a direct resulf of building too close to known flood zones, nothing more. Now, all of those idiots will re-build their houses in the exact same low lying area and expect me to insure them through the national flood insurance program, which is a federally funded operation. A surcharge is paid by all purchasers of home insurance to subsidize these people, many of whom have been paid from this fund to re-build their homes multiple times after multiple storms, often directly on the fucking beach.

National flood insurance subsidies are one of those programs that simply needs to go away.

You know what, I posted this in 'another forum' but it is just as appropriate here so...

You know what?? Fuck 'em all and feed 'em all fish heads.

Why??

Because where I live, it is simply irresponsible to not be prepared. We lose power when we have our garden variety, afternoon [every single one by the way] summer torrential rainstorms. We can get three inch an hour downpours here and folks just deal with it. Do you know how to identify a northerner on the road? I do, he's the jackass in the right lane doing thirty five mph with his fucking hazard lights on during a normal afternoon downpour, that's how.

Anyone in Central Florida who does not have a generator of some sort is a complete idiot, pure and simple. In addition, anyone without hurricane food preps and weather preps deserves what they get. Where I live, that usually means the entitled class are the ones screaming for FEMA to "come and rescue us" after every single weather event, irrespective of severity.

In Anconaland, the rule is that we NEVER give away fuel, vital preps such as batteries, medicines [unless in a life threatening situation of course] or booze. Liquor is the last thing I want folks to consume in a balloon up situation, so I reserve that guilty pleasure for myself. Anyhow, without regard to your location, if you are out of food and water after three days, then this is a very powerful life-lesson for you and you should embrace it and learn from it. Prepare or die my friends, prepare or die. Those nice neighbors of yours will not be so nice next time, and when they prompt you to buy some back-up preps instead of hitting happy hour during the coming slow months, take their fucking advice. I will help you once my friend, and if you cannot learn from your mistakes, you will not be someone I am willing to subsidize with my own preparedness next time.

Get ready folks, because the glue is starting to release on the seams of this monster, and when it peels apart, the chaos will be biblical.

it sucks that people died from the storm...but...the storm was a good thing for my household. I have been trying for a while to get the wife on board with preps, and it has been a fight for every piece of silver, every extra bag of beans or can of whatever, and for any item that would be useful in scenarios like this and worse. our power was out for just under 24 hrs, not a big deal. i felt like we were prepared and would have been fine without power for a few weeks at least.

anyways, what im getting to is: after the power came back on, the wife said to me, "i dont feel like we were prepared enough for this storm".

HAHAHAHAHAHA, if she would have only let it be and not started an argument when i have made preparedness purchases, and instead taken the time to understand what i was doing and why, then maybe, JUST MAYBE, we would have been prepared at a level where she thought we were prepared for it.

anyways(again), she is now on board with making preparations, and i dont think i will be having any more problems out of her over it.

I feel like we were prepared enough, but if i didnt know the outcome, and would change one thing i would have done to be ready for the storm, i would have brought more of my wood stack into the basement. i didnt run out of wood while power was out, however, it wouldnt have lasted nearly as long as i had thought it would have.

A few on my block panic- they get shirley all upset. I tell her my assessment- and I usually am right. I appreciate that she gets things ready just in case- this has happened at least 3 times so far.

I think she will go bonkers when there is a storm and I say YUP_ you better panic over this one.

We are far enough inland that the mountains shield the wind- we are in a valley and the river was low- so a few feet rise can be handled.

my wife grew up in abject poverty in a third world country so there has never been any question whatsoever about my preps. Today she asked me when I bought some hams (they are still 1.99 for a one pound canned ham at the grocery I work at, so every time I buy something I buy five canned hams) so she could write the date on the cans. Its already stamped on the can best by 2017 but I just tell her the date, I guess she sees labeling them as her part...

the good news is my wife is the county "house-mother" for what I call the filipina army; they all have to clear decisions with her since she is the "elder" and pretty much everyone is on the same page, really really tight so I think that will be a plus in a crisis....

ive not had canned ham since i was a child. i hadnt thought about looking at those for preps.

I wish our society was like that. I grew up in Tennessee, and have a very large extended family. always having get togethers on weekends and whatnot. i really miss the close-knit family thing. i dont currently have that option, but i hope to return to it one day.

For those who have wives / friends / family that aren't sure about being prepared, they only need to be reminded that as recently as ONE GENERATION ago that was the norm!

When my parents were young, everyone grew a garden, canned vegetables and fruit and had a basic food supply that would last until the next harvest season.

Historically speaking, the kind of lifestyle being lived by so many now is not normal. I know people who would starve if the grocery stores shut down tomorrow and didn't open up again for a week!

One other point: when a person buys their groceries on a longer-term outlook, they save a lot of money. That is the biggest argument that convinces folks to change their habits. When something is on sale, buy 4 or 5 or more of them. At first it may seem like more cost, but you will quickly find out that your overall grocery budget is lower.

Our friends simply are aghast at how low our food budget is, and I have to say all the credit goes to my wife who treats grocery shopping like a career - which it is.

Heh, saturdays do seem to bring out the best in Ancona (-;

and Jay ........ i have no way of deciphering your comment.
Total wipeout or just more tv drama ?
Because i do not have any reliable, unbiased sorce, i hoped people here could offer some observations.

My initial hunch is that Sandy was no Katrina ...........

Your initial hunch would be correct Rblong. With one caveat however, that the evvects of this storm were the most widespread in living memory and the destruction at the shore as a result of storm surge was so epic. Remember, wind is but one component controlling tidal surge in a storm, the other is pressure. This storm had incredibly low central pressure compared to her wind speed, which really inhibited rapid growth in wind speed.

Heh, saturdays do seem to bring out the best in Ancona (-;

and Jay ........ i have no way of deciphering your comment.
Total wipeout or just more tv drama ?
Because i do not have any reliable, unbiased source, i hoped people here could offer some observations.

My initial hunch is that Sandy was no Katrina ...........

I don't think Sandy was a Katrina either, in deaths (no 1500 + deaths) but I'm reading it may be the financial death for NYC yet.

If you were referring to my Jersey Shore comment, I was being facetious. I don't watch tv, but they had a show called Jersey Shore that I understand was about the rich people on Jersey Shore and another show called Survivor where they put overprivileged Americans in unfamiliar environments and try to see if they can survive an environment where normal people spend their entire lives....

my wife grew up in abject poverty in a third world country so there has never been any question whatsoever about my preps. Today she asked me when I bought some hams (they are still 1.99 for a one pound canned ham at the grocery I work at, so every time I buy something I buy five canned hams) so she could write the date on the cans. Its already stamped on the can best by 2017 but I just tell her the date, I guess she sees labeling them as her part...

the good news is my wife is the county "house-mother" for what I call the filipina army; they all have to clear decisions with her since she is the "elder" and pretty much everyone is on the same page, really really tight so I think that will be a plus in a crisis....

I love that! At least 3 on this block are horse traders.

For those who have wives / friends / family that aren't sure about being prepared, they only need to be reminded that as recently as ONE GENERATION ago that was the norm!

When my parents were young, everyone grew a garden, canned vegetables and fruit and had a basic food supply that would last until the next harvest season.

Historically speaking, the kind of lifestyle being lived by so many now is not normal. I know people who would starve if the grocery stores shut down tomorrow and didn't open up again for a week!

One other point: when a person buys their groceries on a longer-term outlook, they save a lot of money. That is the biggest argument that convinces folks to change their habits. When something is on sale, buy 4 or 5 or more of them. At first it may seem like more cost, but you will quickly find out that your overall grocery budget is lower.

Our friends simply are aghast at how low our food budget is, and I have to say all the credit goes to my wife who treats grocery shopping like a career - which it is.

Jetstream, my wifes family (in the Philippines) still does all that, with the exception of the canning part). Bing can still iron with wood coals, wash clothes on rocks (for real) etc. Of course, we don't live like that, and she has a masters, etc. But still. I liked it so much I bought land there about fifteen years ago. The tight family thing appealed to me so much; my mother was a doctor of Radiology and shot herself when I was six and my dad was instrumental in developing ENIAC and drank himself to death shortly thereafter, so I missed the family thing. Thus hers fascinated me (although her not so much).

her family doesn't fascinate her so much. SHE does fascinate ME. I phrased that poorly.

Last edited:
I am spooked by what is going on in NY. Wow.

Oppi- was it hard for you to adjust moving to PA?

Your initial hunch would be correct Rblong. With one caveat however, that the evvects of this storm were the most widespread in living memory and the destruction at the shore as a result of storm surge was so epic. Remember, wind is but one component controlling tidal surge in a storm, the other is pressure. This storm had incredibly low central pressure compared to her wind speed, which really inhibited rapid growth in wind speed.

so less wind speed but for a longer duration
and a storm surge that caused a lot of costal damage over a greater length / area than katrina ?

I am spooked by what is going on in NY. Wow.

Oppi- was it hard for you to adjust moving to PA?

Not really. We moved here from Hawaii. We have moved quite a bit in the past 6 years, starting in Connecticut, to Maine, to Hawaii, and then here to Pennsylvania. Im in the Navy currently, so that is why we have moved around so much. I like living here because it reminds me alot of home, the only thing is we dont have family near by. her family is 6 hours north, and mine is 10 hours south. I dont know if we will stay here after i finish this tour of duty or not. Im getting out at the end of this contract. I want to move back to TN, but there just doesnt seem to be the jobs there where i can use the experience and credentials ive gotten from my service. all those jobs are right around this area.

^ I complain alot- but I think PA is a good state to live in. Tho I can only compare it to IL- and what I hear about other states- (NY/CA)

and I just found out who Tyler Durden is, oh I'm so behind the curve.... :(

The movie character or the real identity(ies) of the peep(s) posting as such on ZH?

LOL- that went right past me.... fight club.//

//

I liked the smokies- was in Gatlinburg for a vacation- tho I thought the sun was brutal- maybe it was just that week we were there. At that time seveirville was nothing- I hear it has picked up tho now.
I knew a gal who moved from NJ to PA- for lower taxes- and then she plotted to move to TN- she had it all planned out on a spread sheet.

The movie character or the real identity(ies) of the peep(s) posting as such on ZH?

both.

never saw the movie, never made the connection to the analogy of everyone using the name as author of articles on ZH

LOL- that went right past me.... fight club.//

//

I liked the smokies- was in Gatlinburg for a vacation- tho I thought the sun was brutal- maybe it was just that week we were there. At that time seveirville was nothing- I hear it has picked up tho now.
I knew a gal who moved from NJ to PA- for lower taxes- and then she plotted to move to TN- she had it all planned out on a spread sheet.

For a lifechanging experience, climb Mount Le Conte in January in the snow. (take plenty of chocolate).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Le_Conte_(Tennessee)

Gatlinburg is real nice...especially in winter. ive not been up there in the summer before.

Back
Top Bottom