Precious Metals Forum

Go Back   Precious Metals Forum > Bunker Talk > STS

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2013, 02:41 PM   #1
Golden Cockroach

Liked: 2449 times
Egypt in disarray; oil up

Looks like things are devolving over there.

Important stuff: PMBug 101 * Forum Guidelines * Support PMBug
PMBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 03:07 PM   #2
Yellow Jacket

Liked: 2046 times
Earlier the Saudi Government voiced their support for the military in Egypt, just as I do. Allowing the MB to run the country would kill off the remaining Christians and put the women back in to total subjugation.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:45 PM   #3
Yellow Jacket

Liked: 1233 times
Someone posted this link on my G+ feed. Scary.
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2013/08...mty_plus_fn
dontdeBasemebro likes this.
DCFusor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 01:03 PM   #4
Jay
Yellow Jacket

Liked: 671 times
Originally Posted by DCFusor View Post:
Someone posted this link on my G+ feed. Scary.
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2013/08...mty_plus_fn
delete

Last edited by Jay; 08-17-2013 at 03:33 PM. Reason: written in anger
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 05:41 PM   #5
PM Bug Supporter

Liked: 691 times

Aww, too bad I missed your post, Jay...

But, I don't like thinking about what is happening in the Middle East either, nor the hypocrisy shown by our Administration.

Egypt has how many people, 80 million?, and few resources. They will be a permanent basket-case as the years go by it looks to me.
dontdeBasemebro and Jay like this.
DoChenRollingBearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 06:11 PM   #6
Jay
Yellow Jacket

Liked: 671 times
Originally Posted by DoChenRollingBearing View Post:

Aww, too bad I missed your post, Jay...

But, I don't like thinking about what is happening in the Middle East either, nor the hypocrisy shown by our Administration.

Egypt has how many people, 80 million?, and few resources. They will be a permanent basket-case as the years go by it looks to me.
Robert, I deleted my post because it was more of a rant against a family member who is a journalist/reporter and it was off-topic. Drama drama Drama.
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 06:21 PM   #7
Golden Cockroach

I remember meeting a young Egyptian engineer over seas (not in Egypt) back during the first uprising and he was so full of hope and pride for his home country.

Old 08-17-2013, 08:44 PM   #8

Liked: 280 times
Originally Posted by PMBug View Post:
I remember meeting a young Egyptian engineer over seas (not in Egypt) back during the first uprising and he was so full of hope and pride for his home country.
I remember millions of Americans expressing the same sentiments during the latest coup as well.
dontdeBasemebro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 06:14 AM   #9
Big-eyed bug

Liked: 249 times
Egypt's security forces firing into a mosque seemed like an unnecessary escalation of the conflict..

As ZH says...

Quote :
It goes without saying that firing on religious protesters inside a sanctum of a mosque will hardly derail the country's flaming train ride straight into civil war, but it also begs the question: why is Egypt so intent on culminating with a civil war, split along religious lines, that will be the bloodiest in decades, involve over 80 million people and is sure to lead to unprecedented death and destruction. Cui bono, aside from the Fed's balance sheet, of course?
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-0...sque-end-siege
Unbeatable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 07:21 AM   #10
n00b

Liked: 9 times
Nights Over Eygpt

Somewhat disconcerting to have made the journey over to here in search of an oasis of calm and non-ideology-driven pm debate...

only to find on the very first thread I encounter, a reference to the premier frenzied & fallaciously (Austro)ideologically-driven site, ZH...as if some kind of source of balanced and relevant information about the ME, oil, commodities, or any other topic under the sun. Not.

But hey! It's all good. Let's work with what there is.

Egypt is the perfect topic compliment to precious metals discussions. Because, nothing, absolutely nothing there, is what it seems. So, opinions abound, and disinfo rules. Indeed, the whole Muslim Brotherhood\AlCIAda thing is the "tungsten standard" of media distortion and hyberbole, of the kind that KWN can only dream of some day reaching.

As little as I like to plug an obviously 'made' disinfo site like VT, their access to the occasional nugget of truth in a riverbed of fools' gold is quite amazing.
http://www.veteranstoday.com/2013/08...reported-story

Pls try to ignore the incoherent intro by the drug-addled editor Jimmy Dean, and proceed to the core of the text by Ashraf Ezzat - now that is truly an oasis of sane reportage in a desert of lying distortion.

Hopefully I'll find the same quality of oasis-like grove of groovy non-groupies here, with whom to share stories of precious metal mystery! I see "el Peruviano" is already here! Mix n match what,Sir Robert!>???
benjamen likes this.

Last edited by roguefaction; 08-18-2013 at 07:29 AM.
roguefaction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 07:38 AM   #11
Golden Cockroach

Hi RF, welcome the the forum.

Originally Posted by roguefaction View Post:
... made the journey over to here in search of an oasis of calm and non-ideology-driven pm debate...
I don't know about an oasis of calm, but we've got a pretty solid mix of analytical minds and diverse viewpoints here. We welcome folks with an interest in the PM markets whether they are stackers, traders or both.

... only to find on the very first thread I encounter, a reference to ... ZH....
We try to "shoot the message", not the messenger here. Lot's of people don't like ZH's slant or style and that's fine, but ad hominems don't illuminate truth any more than snark does.

... Egypt is the perfect topic compliment to precious metals discussions. Because, ...
Well, there is also, because it affects the oil trade which affects everything (including the PM markets).

... I see "el Peruviano" is already here! Mix n match what,Sir Robert!>???
DCRB holla!

Old 08-18-2013, 10:27 AM   #12
n00b

Liked: 9 times
Quote :
We try to "shoot the message", not the messenger here.

That would be a most agreeable way to proceed.

I have, however, been seeking refuge from the overwhelming slant of the libertarian\austrian group on the pm sites where I used to spend time. Having only recently deconstructed that baggage in my own mind, acquired automatically, it seems, in the course of getting into the metals, perhaps I'm still a little sensitive to even a whiff of the tyler's influence over the pmbug world[western section]. I got here via Bron's interchange with unbeatable, and very happily noted a different level of conversation and analysis than that which had started boring me to tears.

I gladly note your clarification and take it to mean that by digging into the archives here I'll find further indication of like-minded individuals who value critical thinking over group hysteria.
roguefaction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 11:20 AM   #13
Big-eyed bug

Liked: 249 times

I also see on ZH...

Quote :
Internet Traffic Plunges By 40% As Google Goes Dark For Five Minutes
Quote :
When contacted by Sky News, a spokesman for Google directed us to the dashboard message.

"We have no comment beyond this," he added.
I wonder if China will be blamed for this in 3,2,1...
Unbeatable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 11:38 AM   #14
Golden Cockroach

I have, however, been seeking refuge from the overwhelming slant of the libertarian\austrian group ...
I'm sure you will find a good share of it here too (I'm in that corner myself), but you are welcome to add in a contrarian view where merited. Last I checked, no one has a monopoly on truth and a good discussion can open doors to broader horizons.

Old 08-18-2013, 12:05 PM   #15
Yellow Jacket

Welcome to the conversation RF.
Old 08-18-2013, 12:17 PM   #16
PM Bug Supporter

Liked: 691 times

All I want to do is sell lots of bearings and buy lots of gold. Oh, and maybe enjoy life some too.

But, as our Congenial Host (PMBug) notes in this thread, what happens in Egypt will not likely just stay in Egypt. Culturally Egypt is the center of the Arab world. And like it or not, the Arabs have both the bulk of the oil and the bulk of a group of expansionist religious fanatics... We will be dealing with Islamic extremism, like it or not, for a long time.

Oil affects the entire world economy. I have to pay attention to the world economy as our Peruvian business is linked to a variety of countries. We are "linked in" (sorry) to a lot of places and people.

And, for us, freedom to operate as we choose (and need to) is vital to the success of our business, we too have mouths to feed... Not to mention otherwise hard-to-find spare parts to keep cars running in Peru...
DoChenRollingBearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 12:41 PM   #17
Ground Beetle

Liked: 388 times
Originally Posted by DoChenRollingBearing View Post:
...But, I don't like thinking about what is happening in the Middle East either, nor the hypocrisy shown by our Administration.
With the mix of religious extremism within the most populous Arab country, things will only get worse and worse for Egypt, much of it courtesy of our current President and his administration.

Credit: Twitter - Maher Hamoud

http://mmerlinn.com

GOLD is the money of KINGS.
SILVER is the money of GENTLEMEN.
BARTER is the money of PEASANTS.
DEBT is the money of SLAVES.
- Norm Franz
mmerlinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:36 PM   #18
Yellow Jacket

Liked: 872 times
Originally Posted by dontdeBasemebro View Post:
I remember millions of Americans expressing the same sentiments during the latest coup as well.
eerrr

did I miss this ?

who won ?

Ron Paul ?
bushi likes this.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:57 PM   #19
Yellow Jacket

The MENA appears to be dialing it up to stupid level. All of the posturing and political statements have all the hallmarks of picking sides in a dodge-ball game, only in lieu of dodge-balls, they will use 7.62 X 39 and SAM rockets. We just need to stay the hell out of things in the first place.

Islam and democracy are quite simply put, incompatible with one another.
mmerlinn and bushi like this.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:54 AM   #20
n00b

Liked: 0 times
It's really sad how bad things have gotten there - after so much optimism when Mubarak was removed.
Billy_White is offline   Reply With Quote