everything is a charade -rant

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Penn

Yellow Jacket
Reaction score
yo
road taxes bill failed
but dont thank rep culver
she voted for higher car fees

=============

It is all decided. I contacted my rep many times over this. She voted ofr higher car fees. The bill failed. But this bill boomerangs- it keeps coming back till they pass it.

PA would then have about the highest car fees in the nation- AND lic plate cost will be tied to miles you drive.
========================

In other news someone stole a wrought iron railing I had in my yard. Luckily there is no damage to my car.

They are looking for more revenue because people are driving less, and the gas tax isn't covering the unionized road repair guys as well. I've heard some of the discussion, and adding to the gas tax is considered politically impossible, so here come the back-door approaches.

Also, there are a small but growing number of guys like me who have electric cars and pay little to no gas tax. Not really enough numbers to matter much yet...but schemes to tax guys like me are being discussed all over. There's an online community, at least one per electric car type, and they track all this loudly and often. They are working from miles, electricity use, you name it, in various proposals. Now, since I'm solar, they'll have a little more trouble with that, and since I'm also an embedded programmer, I can probably make my odometer say whatever I want it to as well (but that's not legal).

Most know that most of the road damage isn't done by autos, it's done by trucks with big loads, in fact, the road damage is non-linear with weight - goes up faster than weight with big trucks, which is one reason why diesel already costs a lot more than gasoline, even though it's (usually) easier to refine from crude - simple distillation - road tax is higher for it - enough higher that the extra mileage a passenger vehicle gets on diesel doesn't make up for it, hence the low adoption rate in this country for diesel (among other things, like we don't get that nice low sulfur crude like Libya generates for Europe, and sulfur is hard to get out of heavy crude and keep only the heavy diesel fraction pure of it.) Which in turn was why NATO countries were all for getting into Libya...

In a way, you're right - it IS all a charade, and that is mostly about energy, and most of that has to do with oil. It's not about spreading democracy, it's about retaining petro-dollar status for the US.
Has been for awhile. Every one of these MENA wars we do is about that alone, and is a hidden subsidy to keep gasoline "cheap" - you pay the rest via other taxes. Now with so many not paying or not paying much due to other government regulatory failures making us all poor, the government feels entitled to the same money no matter how they screw it up - so here we are - they find another way to get it. And they have guns and stuff, so they can take it by force.

Not sure when they run out of other people's money...but they must think it's close, or wouldn't be printing so much new stuff to spend before it creates inflation.

And they know the banks still are insolvent, or FASB 157 would change back real quick, at the bank's insistence - by the first big bank that looked solvent under non mark-to-unicorn rules. Since there's no noise about that one from anywhere - that's the tell. They're all hosed, and the QE is just another back-door bailout for them.

For those not in the know (and I hope I got the number right) that FASB ruling means banks don't have to mark to market...was supposed to be really temporary...but we still have it. If we're really coming out of the woods, that ruling should go away, and the fact it hasn't and isn't even under discussion tells us the real driver is the banks and that they don't want the ruling set back.

Imagine how loud the clamor would be if one of the big banks looked good under the old rules - they'd want that rolled back quick for the competitive advantage vs the ones not looking so good.
So unless you think there's a conspiracy that some of the members are willing to lose money with - it tells me they're *all* insolvent when the papers are honestly marked.

Thank you for this reply.

The thing is- I been able to identify waste- roads ripped up that did not need it. poorly timed project. Dont forget 7 of PA turnpike commissioners faced jail time for fraud- and mass transit in philly is corrupt as it gets. (plug in your local info - same deal my bet)

People seem to think we need a bypass here. The simple fact is we can not afford it and only marginally need it.

People seem to think we need a bypass here. The simple fact is we can not afford it and only marginally need it.

Check out California High Speed Rail. They are building tracks in the middle of no-where. Billions and billions of dollars for union jobs between two small cities that are irrelevant to the state. Nothing there except brand new shinny tracks. It's one of the greatest cons in history. :mrt:

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101175149

http://www.railway-technology.com/n...st-section-california-high-speed-rail-project
snip:
The California High-Speed Rail Authority (CHSRA) has awarded a design- build contract worth over $985m to a Tutor Perini, Zachry and Parsons joint venture (JV) for the first section of Calfornia's high-speed rail project.
The first section of the California high-speed rail project will span 29 miles between Madera and Fresno.

Last edited:
if digits in computers can be used to pursuade material suppliers and people ( unionised or not ) to create a bit of infrastructure that has some use, then it has to be better than a lot of things this strange belief in digits is used for.

The Channel Tunnel builders went bust but the tunnel remains and is a seriously useful piece of infrastructure for the UK.

It's an easy drive between Fresno and Madera. Not a drop of water between them, although I am sure they considered digging a tunnel. I think infrastructure projects can be very worthwhile. Just not this one. The money would be far better spent on the existing freeway system.

The PA house just passed the bill tonightm emergency session. fkkk

Back
Top Bottom