Fukushima continues

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Its all very well the controllers deeming all info to be classified 'in case it panics the sheep' but the end result is that it gets blown out of all proportion on the internet.

Oh wait, they like it when we are fearful ............

This sounds like something to question though -

Important to note, this report continues, was that the architect of Fukushima Daiichi Reactor 3, Uehara Haruo, warned on 17 November 2011 that a “China Syndrome” (aka: Hydrovolcanic Explosion) was “inevitable” due to the melted atomic fuel that had escaped the container vessel and was now burning through the earth.

Well, depends on what you mean there. Some things really should be classified. For example, that book of nuke spectra, if revealed, would result in the more or less immediate deaths of the agents who provided some of the info on adversary ones. They'd know right away who leaked the info. Not many have access, here or elsewhere.

This is NOT to say I have any sympathy with the current intelligence community. They are clearly out of control. But even they aren't killing those who aid us, at least not deliberately.

The real issue with the Japanese seems to be the sort of pride they call "face". It's more like hubris than the sort of pride that makes you want to excel in whatever you do, in "face" more important to look good than be good.

I know it's a fine distinction for some - not those here - but really, it's not bragging, if as Cassius Clay said, you really and reliably can knock the guy out in the predicted round. That's just an honest assessment - it would be hubris-pride if you or I said that.

The Japanese version (face) is what's causing the ongoing problems here, IMO. They clearly know more than they're telling, and also don't know it all - count on it. If they were more forthcoming about what they know - and the gaps in that - they could get more help from others. But they are too proud to really ask, or to turn it over to people who don't care where the cards fall and would just fix things (which might be contractors who aren't Japanese). Fix the problem, not the blame! They don't seem to be cool with that idea, at least the government or TEPCO...another result of their culture, as their normal (not state) businesses have that as their motto - Just fix it.

I kind of doubt the China syndrome is going to happen, which is not to say there's not still enough decay heat in the junk to make a steam explosion. Fission requires a moderator to go critical (other than in very carefully refined bomb-grade stuff that fissions well with fast neutrons). You just can't do it with reactor fuel. People should read up on why and how Fermi has so much respect for figuring out you had to "lump" fuel and moderator to get the reaction to "go". It's not simple at all, even with the somewhat-enriched fuel they were using.

I'm not sure, having kept and bred fish myself, that a pic of one sick fish means too much. Some of mine got pretty ill with no rads at all...you'd need enough fish to get a statistically significant sample there. And I've not yet managed to get to the sushi place with a geiger counter, so I don't know if there's risk (even on the east coast). It's a long drive to a very expensive place - something I only treat myself to now and then. I'd not try that at a place where I'm not pretty good friends with the owner anyway, as I am in that case. I do know they get their fish flown in from wherever, which could well include the pacific, so it's worth doing, but I have a long TODO list.

FWIW, I logged in from my raspberry pi for this post. Dunno if the reduced-feature browser it runs slowly will remember my login, we'll see next time if it did. Nice not to need much power at all for this...

Once again you are the voice of reason Fusor.

I agree its Jap pride that gets in the way of developing the best fix.
What will it take for them to swallow their pride and effectively surrender ?

its ironic that it was a couple of nuclear blasts last time .........

Good to learn that the melting fuel rods, that have apparently escaped the container vessel, cannot really do much beyond polluting the ground water.

Even WWII nuke didn't stick. Abe just caused a major fluffle at the WWII memorial, remember.

A culture takes a long time to change. The Japs are more xenophobic than we ever were racist - and it took us quite awhile - if you can say we're there even now, some would say otherwise, though now, in the US, there's more anti-white racism than the other way around as a %. Don't hold your breath on the japs. Not this lifetime.

They are not even having sex with each other these days, and losing population...they're goin' down, like Kyle Bass says. Just a matter of time.

That mess won't end the world, but it's going to take a long time to stop stinking. It could well be the signal for the end of their world, though.

They need more bushido, and less face. They won't see that. You can't help, they won't accept it.

hey there , I was wondering if anyone has any recent news about our favorite nuclear disaster , credible news that is

I cannot find any News that is recent , it’s all like 2-3 years old News , what the feck?

Last edited:
hey there , I was wondering if anyone has any recent news about our favorite nuclear disaster that is credible?

I cannot find anything in the last 2-3 years , what the feck?
well, we've not seen either a Godzilla or any of his enemies come out of the sea yet, so, that's a good thing

and besides, if we don't know about it, it must be o.k., o.k.?

sarc

hey there , I was wondering if anyone has any recent news about our favorite nuclear disaster , credible news that is

I cannot find any News that is recent , it’s all like 2-3 years old News , what the feck?
Because it would be really nice for those in charge if we the little people would just forget about it.
....but had it happened in a nation they want us to see as the enemy, we'd never stop hearing about it.

it's Hot!

last i read, they had determined to release some of that water they had in some of those tanks, idk if they ever did or not

Ten years later, here's what Fukushima's damaged reactors look like today​

Cleanup is in its early days, and some communities near the disaster are still unable to return​

from 2021

watched it...kinda says 'nothing new'

I remember a recent report which said they were going to start releasing the water into the ocean.

I remember a recent report which said they were going to start releasing the water into the ocean.

maybe the start of the Third Plague mentioned in Revelations

Then the third angel poured out his bowl on the rivers and springs of water, and they became blood.

important news is being buried and kept out of view globally , maybe just the locals know what is going on

another important news story that has been buried for over 5 years is the Insurance File on Anthony Weiners laptop

i have been trolling Mayor Guilianni on FB and ask him every chance i get what is he going to do with the evidence on Weiners laptop

so if i come up missing , blame Rudy

a lot of older important news is being purged from the records

Oct 19, 2022:
The Japanese Government has provided the IAEA with a report that summarizes the events and highlights the progress related to recovery operations at the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station. The IAEA provided its assessments, which are contained in full at the end of the report.

This assessment has been performed on aspects presented in the August 2022 report 'Events and highlights on the progress related to recovery operations at Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station'. It does not include recent developments that will be taken into consideration in a next report.

Improvements to the equipment for trial retrieval of fuel debris from Unit 2

The IAEA acknowledges the progress made and considers that this may enable future activities towards the trial retrieval of fuel debris from Unit 2.

Measurement of deposit thickness in the PCV of Unit 1

The IAEA acknowledges the progress made on the visual investigation of the in-vessel conditions in Unit 1 and considers it may contribute to the planning and implementation of a concrete decommissioning work plan in the future.

Management of ALPS treated water

The IAEA acknowledges that TEPCO has revised the assessment of radiological impacts on humans and the environment taking into account IAEA comments1/. The review of this revised impact assessment by the IAEA task force is ongoing.

Sea area monitoring results

Based on the information provided by Japan, the IAEA acknowledges that no significant changes were observed in the monitoring results for seawater, sediment and marine biota, including fishery products, during the period covered by this report. The levels measured by Japan in the marine environment are low and relatively stable. For the purpose of public reassurance, the IAEA encourages the continuation of sea area monitoring. Furthermore, the IAEA considers that the ongoing data quality assurance programme that is in place is key for ensuring the accuracy and the quality of the results of the monitoring programme. It also enhances transparency and contributes to building stakeholders’ confidence.

Food products

Based on the information provided by Japan, the situation regarding the safety of the food supply, fishery and agricultural production continues to remain stable. Food restrictions continue to be revised and updated as necessary in line with food monitoring results. Many thousands of food and fishery samples were collected and analyzed over the reporting period and this indicates the continued vigilance of the authorities in Japan and their commitment to protecting consumers and trade. Food monitoring, dietary surveys, appropriate regulatory action and public communication are helping to maintain confidence in the safety of the food supply.

Based on the information that has been made available from Japan, the Joint FAO/IAEA Centre understands that measures to monitor and respond to issues regarding radionuclide contamination of food are appropriate, and that the food supply chain is controlled effectively by the relevant authorities and that the public food supply is safe.

... Media attention has focused on the tritium (radioactive hydrogen) in the wastewater which cannot be removed by Tepco’s (failed) filtering system and has generally ignored mention of the long-lived carbon-14 in the water, which likewise cannot be removed.

Often unreported about the plan is the failure of Tepco’s wastewater filer system, dubbed the “Advanced Liquid Processing System,” which has not removed the dozens of long-lived radioactive substances — including ruthenium, cobalt-60, strontium-90, cesium-137, and even plutonium – that the company said it would filter. ...

... Treated nuclear wastewater from Japan’s damaged Fukushima power plant, which, if released into the Pacific Ocean as planned will ultimately reach the High Seas, is “capable of producing cancers”, New Zealand scientists said on Friday. ...

SEOUL, May 26 (Yonhap) -- A team of South Korean experts returned home Friday after completing their six-day trip to Japan to conduct an on-site inspection of the crippled Fukushima nuclear power plant ahead of its controversial release of contaminated water.

The 21-member team, headed by Nuclear Safety and Security Commission Chairperson Yoo Guk-hee, assessed whether the tons of contaminated water can be treated so as to be safe enough to be discharged into the ocean this summer.

"One of the key points we have looked into was whether the process of suspending a discharge will be carried out properly in the situation of an anomaly," Yoo told reporters at Incheon International Airport, west of Seoul.

The trip included a two-day inspection of the plant's facilities to examine its custom purification system, known as ALPS, and facilities related to the K4 tanks, which are designed to store and measure radioactive substances.

Yoo said the team closely examined the details at the site and requested additional data.

"We plan to explain the contents of the inspection as soon as possible," he said.

Critics have raised questions about the limited role of the visit, downplaying it as a mere formality and insufficient for verifying the safety of the discharge process.
Currently, the plant stores over 1.3 million tons of water treated by ALPS. The water discharge is set to begin this summer and will take decades to complete, which Japanese officials view as an unavoidable step in the decommissioning process.

"Currently, the plant stores over 1.3 million tons of water treated by ALPS. The water discharge is set to begin this summer and will take decades to complete, which Japanese officials view as an unavoidable step in the decommissioning process."

anyone know why they can't let the water evaporate thus reducing the amount of contaminated water?

"Currently, the plant stores over 1.3 million tons of water treated by ALPS. The water discharge is set to begin this summer and will take decades to complete, which Japanese officials view as an unavoidable step in the decommissioning process."
Because there is a limit as to how much water can be stored.

anyone know why they can't let the water evaporate thus reducing the amount of contaminated water?
Because it is the water itself that is contaminated. This is not a situation similar to water with salt in it, where the water is evaped off while leaving the salt behind.

If it were that simple, you don't think they'd already be doing that?

Because there is a limit as to how much water can be stored.

Because it is the water itself that is contaminated. This is not a situation similar to water with salt in it, where the water is evaped off while leaving the salt behind.

If it were that simple, you don't think they'd already be doing that?
After "Trust the science!" I'm not sure they would....

After "Trust the science!" I'm not sure they would....
But Fukashima happened before "trust the science".

Per my understanding, the problem with evaping the water, if that it has tritium in it. Tritium is an isotope of hydrogen and with oxygen, forms HTO.

HTO is like water, but contains one atom each of hydrogen tritium and oxygen and is radioactive.
....and it will evaporate along with the H2O water.

I have read that evaporating the water will leave behind most of the fission products, just not the tritium.

The USA should purchase Fukushima and move Congress to it.

SEOUL, June 29 (Reuters) - South Korean shoppers are snapping up sea salt and other items as worry grows about their safety with Japan due to dump more than 1 million metric tons of treated radioactive water from a wrecked nuclear power plant into the sea.

South Korean shoppers hoard salt and seafood ahead of Japan’s release of treated radioactive water​

Yesterday 11:59 PM

In many supermarkets across South Korea, one item has conspicuously vanished from shelves: salt.

For the past month, the country has struggled with severe sea salt shortages as shoppers snap it up in bulk, reflecting heightened public anxiety ahead of the planned release of treated radioactive water from Fukushima, Japan.

Japanese authorities and the United Nations’ nuclear watchdog agency have insisted that the plan is safe, meets international standards and matches what nuclear plants do around the world, including those in the United States. The treated contaminated water will be highly diluted and released gradually into the Pacific Ocean over many years.

More:

Which will lead to a worse ecosystem disruption, releasing radioactive waste into the seas or deep sea mining (dredging of the sea floor)?

TOKYO, Aug 20 (Reuters) – Japanese Prime Minister Fumio Kishida said he will meet fishermen as soon as Monday to seek their understanding of the government’s plan to release radioactive water from the wrecked Fukushima nuclear plant into the Pacific.

Getting the tacit approval of organizations representing the fisherman is considered the final hurdle for the plan to release the treated waste water, a move the government says it wants to begin this summer.

Which will lead to a worse ecosystem disruption, releasing radioactive waste into the seas or deep sea mining (dredging of the sea floor)?

I can't see either one of them being good for the environment.

I'd have to go with dredging if the relative levels are basically normal background levels as implied.

They love to seed fear with nuclear anything, now that is a genuine phobia in many peoples minds as apposed to the much touted sexual 'phobias' of identity politics. Nuke inspire genuine irrational fear. Nukeaphobia!

Japan has urged its citizens in China to avoid using their native tongue in loud voices, while its companies have received a wave of abusive calls amid a rise in anti-Japanese sentiment sparked by the controversial discharge of wastewater from the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant.

While Japan insists the treated water is safe – a view backed by the UN’s nuclear watchdog – China has staunchly opposed the discharge, which began last week, and banned all Japanese seafood imports. Beijing has called the decision to release the water “selfish” and harmful to the environment and human health.

The Japanese government on Sunday published new data showing radioactivity levels in waters off Fukushima continued to be well within safe limits. Scientists have pointed out that China’s own nuclear power plants release wastewater with higher levels of tritium than that found in Fukushima’s discharge, and that the levels are all within boundaries not considered to be harmful to human health.

Calls from China began flooding Japanese businesses from Thursday, when the plant’s operator, Tokyo Electric Power (Tepco), started releasing water used to cool the stricken nuclear reactors at Fukushima Daiichi.

The release started at the daily pace of 460 tons and moves slowly. TEPCO plans to release 31,200 tons of treated water by the end of March 2024, which would empty only 10 tanks because the site will continue to produce radioactive water.

The pace will quicken later and about 1/3 of the tanks will be removed over the next 10 years, freeing up space for the plant's decommissioning, said TEPCO executive Junichi Matsumoto, who is in charge of the treated water release. The water will be released over 30 years, but as long as melted fuel stays in the reactors, it requires cooling water under the current prospect.

About 880 tons of radioactive melted nuclear fuel remain inside the reactors. Robotic probes have provided some information but the status of the melted debris remains largely unknown, and the amount could be even larger, says Takahara, the TEPCO spokesman.

A trial removal of melted debris using a giant remote-controlled robotic arm is set to begin in Unit 2 later this year, though it will be a very small amount, Takahara said.

Spent fuel removal from the Unit 1 reactor's cooling pool is set to start in 2027. The reactor top is still covered with debris from the explosion 12 years ago and needs to be cleaned up after putting a protective cover to contain radioactive dust.

Inside the worst-hit Unit 1, most of its reactor core melted and fell to the bottom of the primary containment chamber and possibly farther into the concrete basement. A robotic probe sent inside the Unit 1 primary containment chamber has found that its pedestal — the main supporting structure directly under its core — was extensively damaged.

Back
Top Bottom