Good book recommendations?

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

.snap

Fly on the Wall
Reaction score
I'm looking for a good book to read and was curious what recommendations you guys may have. I'm thinking about Mark Levin's The Liberty Amendments, just because I'm interested in his book that comes out tomorrow, Plunder and Deceit. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated!

If you want a few laughs along with a bit of crazy "Meow Man: Suk Ma Bag" is worth a read. (When I say a bit crazy I'm not shitting you.)

Sail into your day laughing with these true tugboat tales by a true tugboat captain. Meow Man Suk Ma Bag brings humor and support for U.S. working men with true, easy-to-read short stories from the sea!

Along the same lines I'll recommend:

-"Steaming To Bamboola by Christopher Buckley (Had me laughing hysterically at times)

STEAMING TO BAMBOOLA is a story of the author's time at sea. He tells first-hand about typhoons, cargoes, smuggling, mid-ocean burials, rescues, stowaways, hard places, hard drinking and hard romance. It is the tale of a ship and her crew, men fated to wander for a living--always steaming to, but never quite reaching, Bamboola.

This one may be considered a bit on the political side and if you are a hard core Trump fan you probably want to steer clear of it. I didn't look at it as political just something I wanted to read. Didn't disappoint me.

American Kompromat: How the KGB Cultivated Donald Trump, and Related Tales of Sex, Greed, Power, and Treachery

Craig Unger

Kompromat n.--Russian for compromising information

This is a story about the dirty secrets of the most powerful people in the world--including Donald Trump.

It is based on exclusive interviews with dozens of high-level sources--intelligence officers in the CIA, FBI, and the KGB, thousands of pages of FBI investigations, police investigations, and news articles in English, Russian, and Ukrainian. American Kompromat shows that from Trump to Jeffrey Epstein, kompromat was used in operations far more sinister than the public could ever imagine.

If post-apocalyptic fiction is your bag Jerry D Young wrote some good stuff. Jerry was a long time GIM member and published a lot of his books on the forum (for those who may remember.) I read everything he put out on the forum. Good stuff and easy reading.

You can find his work here.

Fading Away: My Wife’s Fight With Fourth Stage Esophageal Cancer Paperback – Sept. 15 2022​

by Richard J. Cronborg (Author), Alien Buddha (Contributor)

In Fading Away; My Wife’s Fight With Fourth Stage Esophageal Cancer (A Care Givers Guide), Richard Cronborg lights a path. One he hopes you won’t need to walk. He has painstakingly documented this unprecedented and visceral journey with his beloved wife of 42 years. They shine a light on all the travails of the diagnoses, treatment, and finally, the understanding that she was going to FADE AWAY. He documented every nuance and allowed you to glimpse at all that happened. From the day they first heard about Esophageal Cancer in his car, over a phone due to COVID restrictions, to his worst fears. You will understand the importance of final preparations and how that can make a loved one passing less painful and confusing.

Cronborg shares information on treatments, medications, and side effects. This guide can help anyone dealing with cancer, or a cancer patient, to have a better insight and understanding of what lies ahead. Knowledge can help you plan and illuminate some of the darkness ahead.

Richard gave his wife dignity and allowed her to do it her way. You will understand their tremendous love and how to be the best caregiver you have inside—what a remarkable love story.

-Thasia Anne, author of A Subtle Shade of Bruise

This is one of the most beautiful love manifestos I have ever read

- Joseph Cassis, author of RELAX/RELAPSE

Cronborg's story hits hard, giving us an unflinching look at the fragility of life and the power of love. I’ve had to break the news to countless patients of life changing diagnoses and this inside look into what happens afterwards is breathtaking.

-NJ Gallegos, author of Only You Can Prevent Forest Fires

This post may contain affiliate links for which PM Bug gold and silver discussion forum may be compensated.
Recent thread reminded me of this old book that is really thought provoking and fascinating:

This post may contain affiliate links for which PM Bug gold and silver discussion forum may be compensated.
I just read:

Shadows on the Koyukuk: An Alaskan Native's Life Along the River

"This is more than one mans incredible tale of hardship and success in Alaska. It is also a tribute to the Athapaskan traditions and spiritual beliefs that enabled him and his ancestors to survive. His story, simply told, is a testament to the durability of Alaska s wildlands and to the strength of the people who inhabit them."​

I highly recommend it. Imagine living, trapping, surviving in -80° weather and what that entails.

I got the idea from Duwane at Dry Creek Wrangler's School on YT.

I remember that one from back in the 90's. Oddly, what I remember most about it was that apparently Turtledove cheaped on the cost of editing... and I darn near sent him my rates. The whole book was riddled with typos and misspelled words. Oh. And homophones like bear/bare heel/heal.

Stuff like that sticks with me. He had written some stuff previously that was really good. The one I remember was "The Misplaced Legion".

Bump...................

12 Books That Changed My Life​

May 22, 2023

15:18

Timecodes:
0:00 - Intro
0:42 - Oh, The Places You'll Go
1:57 - How To Win Friends & Influence People
3:10 - Boundaries
4:25 - Burn The Fat, Feed The Muscle
5:46 - Deep Work
7:00 - The One Thing
8:21 - Getting Things Done
9:38 - The Ride of a Lifetime
10:50 - Creativity, Inc.
12:10 - Into Thin Air
13:07 - When Breath Becomes Air
14:09 - Man’s Search For Meaning

Channel:

Carnegie's book is excellent:

Suess' book (Oh, The Places You'll Go) was something I read to our kids while they were still in utero. It does not, IMO, offer anything insightful to adults.

Krakauer's book (Into Thin Air) was something I read years ago and I don't remember much about it - certainly nothing that I thought was worthy of recommending as a life changing book.

I read this book decades ago and can recommend it:

Check out the Bible. I've always enjoyed that One and gotten a lot of life changing inspiration.

For humor, anything by the late Patrick McManus. For some dystopian fiction, try the Eden Chronicles by S.M.Anderson and the Kelly Turnbull books. For time travel humor, Jodi Taylor. For alternate military history, there's William Peter Grasso, The late Robert Conroy and some old guy named Unca Walt. For weird, there's Road To Babylon series by Sam Sisavath and The Laundry Files by Charles Stross. Let me know when you run out.

Just ordered

A review of a book I'm considering.

Here's one: "The Cadet -- The Adventures of a New World Pioneer in the 17th Century"

Some scribbler's mess.

Here's one: "The Cadet -- The Adventures of a New World Pioneer in the 17th Century"

Some scribbler's mess.

Making up an order list now for winter reading. Going to get that and the Bat and Balloon War. Are you selling them yourself or should I do online book store?

Making up an order list now for winter reading. Going to get that and the Bat and Balloon War. Are you selling them yourself or should I do online book store?
(*snork*) I do not sell them. Hellfar, as the author, I haveta buy them just like anybody else. <-- TINS

The only way to get The Bat and Balloon War now is by e-books. The publishing company died from COVID.

No more hardcopies available for that novel (*sob*). I will say that the Deputy Director for Counterintelligence and Security Countermeasures at the Pentagon wrote that he loved the battle scenes under, on, and above the Pacific's surface.

Not quite the publicity that The Hunt For Red October got (eg: President liked it -- and said so to the Press) but it was gratifying to hear anyway.

Oh, jeez. I tested that link and saw the "Read Sample" click thingy. Wound up reading the whole sample.

Last edited:
(*snork*) I do not sell them. Hellfar, as the author, I haveta buy them just like anybody else. <-- TINS

The only way to get The Bat and Balloon War now is by e-books. The publishing company died from COVID.

No more hardcopies available for that novel (*sob*). I will say that the Deputy Director for Counterintelligence and Security Countermeasures at the Pentagon wrote that he loved the battle scenes under, on, and above the Pacific's surface.

Not quite the publicity that The Hunt For Red October got (eg: President liked it -- and said so to the Press) but it was gratifying to hear anyway.

Oh, jeez. I tested that link and saw the "Read Sample" click thingy. Wound up reading the whole sample.

Thanks. Will buy The Cadet this week and let you know what I think after reading it.

Edit to add: Just ordered The Cadet (and one other book) from Amazon.

Last edited:
Thanks. Will buy The Cadet this week and let you know what I think after reading it.

Edit to add: Just ordered The Cadet (and one other book) from Amazon.
Ready for a cherry-breaking? If you look at the novels I have out there, you will see they are unique from all others: When the books end, they end. I have never requested a reader response. Yeah, dumb, hunh.

Clearly, I could not sell pardons in a womens' prison. Sucky marketing, that's yer Unca.

So feel free to grade what you read... if you will.

So far, the harshest review from those who read it and felt moved to respond complained it was too short at 462 pages.

Now that I am on a roll... Some trivia: Every character is real. All events happened as depicted. There is a boilerplate "this is fiction" inside. <-- The publisher insisted, since names are named -- even though the events and people named are real and historically did as described. The book is used as a reference book at Rennsalaer U.

The book is historically accurate to this point: My brutal mentor nailed me on the opening scene. I had the young title character as a kid being sent in to get ale for a guy standing guard** in a street outside in the Duchy of Oldenburg.
**The name of the guard is correct. The name of the tavern owner is correct. It is that closely edited by my evil taskmaster.

He said: "They did not serve ale in Oldenburg in 1615. Find out what they had, and what it cost."

So when you read about Cider and Sunshine (page fargin ONE) know that the three munchen coppers really would get you two wooden tankards (used only outdoors) of cider. <-- It is that accurate throughout.

I think I receive about $1.18 per copy sold (TINS!) so I certainly am not in it for the money. I just want folks to know the REAL history of their country. I guarantee you will learn a lot you did not know. And be entertained while learning it.

Oh. One last thing: Of the respondents who have contacted me... I am running 87% got chokey or teary at least once while reading it. For both happy and sad. The record is five times.

One of the best stories came from a lady reader. She was on a flight across country and she was reading and crying. A flight attendant came by to ask what was wrong.

"It's this damn' book!"

Another guy wrote in toto this response: "You sonuvabitch! You got me on the last page!"

And that, Pilgrim is why I write novels. Just for sentences like those from people I have never met. Certainly not for less than two quarts of gasoline.

I hope you like it.

Recently finished "The Wager". From the #1 New York Times bestselling author of Killers of the Flower Moon, a page-turning story of shipwreck, survival, and savagery, culminating in a court martial that reveals a shocking truth. The powerful narrative reveals the deeper meaning of the events on The Wager, showing that it was not only the captain and crew who ended up on trial, but the very idea of empire.

I recommend it.

wager.jpg

Cormac McCarthy recently died...and about the same time his "Border Trilogy" has found its way into my bookshelf. I stress, I didn't buy it - either it was in a Free Library (there are dozens of little book kiosks all over town, run by some Marxist; you can take one or leave one) or else left by a previous resident here. Don't remember.

It's dark reading, but I'm working on it. It speaks of a simpler time...when men were men, America was America, warts and all; and Mexico as proud if far more backwards.

I read his "No Country for Old Men" many years ago. A busy, harrowing tale.

Cormac McCarthy recently died...and about the same time his "Border Trilogy" has found its way into my bookshelf. I stress, I didn't buy it - either it was in a Free Library (there are dozens of little book kiosks all over town, run by some Marxist; you can take one or leave one) or else left by a previous resident here. Don't remember.

It's dark reading, but I'm working on it. It speaks of a simpler time...when men were men, America was America, warts and all; and Mexico as proud if far more backwards.

I read his "No Country for Old Men" many years ago. A busy, harrowing tale.
😎By the gods man!
Your blurb game is on point!

I was unaware there was a book.
(*re: No Country for Old Men)
Guessing the book may be better than the movie too?

I read the book a LONG time ago, and my life was in turmoil. It was a many-tentacled tale, of crime, blackmail, desperation, set in the Southwest. Wish I remembered more, but in those days, newly-laid off from the railroad, far too young to retire, I was doing the adult thing and getting drunk while reading it.

I never saw the movie, but I've yet to find a movie that was better than the book it's based on.

The Kiwi's Who Ignored Daedalus'

Eight months ago, December 2022.

Two random ςυητs going by Booksurfer and, ahhh, obviously me, began our NZ shitposting forum administration world tour.

A few weeks into our adventures he politely requested 1 thread so only he can post while authoring a 12 chapter live online novella.

😄 My stoned ass reply was something along the lines of - "Oh yeah fυςκΐη σατн! Have a whole forum mate! Go hard!"

About four weeks later he had completed his first Author Original, an exciting action adventure: Gravel Rash.

Within the following weeks we experienced a fυςκΐη massive increase in user activity,...😅sнΐτ I actually got all paranoid at first - thinking we might be in trouble with the ADL or some other swinish corporate encorcer ςυητs....

...Fortunately the attention was primarily focused upon Booksurfer's Gravel Rash,....rather than my,...ahhh, ya know, my fυςκΐη posts.😂

But shortly after this we almost lost the site,... twice, and ultimately we did.

Prior to losing nzfsf I got busy screenshotting + copy/pasting every single word of Gravel Rash @nzfsf—transferring them to occ.x.

😄Of course I'm a cheeky bugger so I didn't say anything to Booksurfer at first.

Eventually surprising him with the dedicated foundations of a community library–which has now developed to become a core foundation of occ.x.

The very first contents: Gravel Rash

😂I also had to increase the standard meagre 10,000 character post limit to 100,000 to better accommodate and more effectively enhance XF's bland ass shitshow.

Anyways, now the library has/& is continuing to be expanded with features enhancing user experience for those inclinded toward long-form creative literary expression.

As well as other public materials, so far the library hosts two complete-and one near complete Author Original works.

*Gravel Rash & Red, by Booksurfer1

*The Assignment, by N.O.R.

The End....

PS: The following ×2 posts host a very brief intro sample-(shamelessly stolen by me without the author's awareness–yet)- from his latest live online novel currently in progress:

IMG_20230810_154023.jpgIMG_20230810_154032.jpgIMG_20230810_154041.jpgIMG_20230810_154050.jpg
IMG_20230810_154102.jpgIMG_20230810_154113.jpg
IMG_20230810_154123.jpgIMG_20230810_154132.jpg

I read the book a LONG time ago, and my life was in turmoil. It was a many-tentacled tale, of crime, blackmail, desperation, set in the Southwest. Wish I remembered more, but in those days, newly-laid off from the railroad, far too young to retire, I was doing the adult thing and getting drunk while reading it.

I never saw the movie, but I've yet to find a movie that was better than the book it's based on.

Sahara, by Clive Cussler, comes close. They did a really good job on the movie and it sticks with the book fairly accurately.

This is one of the best books I have ever read. It's a biography, but reads like an action/adventure novel. This is the true story of the first man to ever circumnavigate the globe three times.

"Darwin took his books aboard the Beagle. Swift and Defoe used his experiences as inspiration in writing Gulliver's Travels and Robinson Crusoe. Captain Cook relied on his observations while voyaging around the world. Coleridge called him a genius and "a man of exquisite mind." In the history of exploration, nobody has ventured further than Englishman William Dampier. Yet while the exploits of Cook, Shackleton, and a host of legendary explorers have been widely chronicled, those of perhaps the greatest are virtually invisible today—an omission that Diana and Michael Preston have redressed in this vivid, compelling biography.

As a young man Dampier spent several years in the swashbuckling company of buccaneers in the Caribbean. At a time when surviving one voyage across the Pacific was cause for celebration, Dampier ultimately journeyed three times around the world; his bestselling books about his experiences were a sensation, influencing generations of scientists, explorers, and writers. He was the first to deduce that winds cause currents and the first to produce wind maps across the world, surpassing even the work of Edmund Halley. He introduced the concept of the "sub-species" that Darwin later built into his theory of evolution, and his description of the breadfruit was the impetus for Captain Bligh's voyage on the Bounty. Dampier reached Australia 80 years before Cook, and he later led the first formal expedition of science and discovery there."

dampier.jpg

... I've yet to find a movie that was better than the book it's based on.

I recently read Robert Ludlum's The Bourne Identity and realized as I read it that the movie was much better. The movie did not follow the book's plot - at all - but used mostly the same characters with a story that was very loosely based upon the framework of the book, but updated for the modern era (technology has changed a lot since the time frame of the book).

Well, I guess there's exceptions. I hadn't found them or noted them.

There's kinda like a reason why the books are better. Long time ago, when I really thought I could write for a living...this was before the InterWebZ and streaming movies on a pocket computer...

...I found a book by William Goldman (dead, now, died 2016) called Telling Lies for Fun and Profit. He was the author of a few novels, and wrote the screenplay for Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.

It was interesting, how he stumbled into it; but as he got into the weeds, he explained why so few novelists could cross over. Of the different skills for a screenplay, versus a novel.

Some are obvious. But one that hit me, was TIME. Of course, it's limited. HOW limited? Each PAGE of a screenplay, takes about a MINUTE to get through, in a movie.

That means, essentially, a screenplay is limited to 90-120 pages at most. Longer, and it becomes a two-parter; and at that point, you need to have separate plot devices, crescendos, climaxes, etc.

So, a 600-page novel is going to shed a LOT of material going into a screenplay.

ADD to that, the formulaic structure of a movie. The protagonist/hero/leading-man. The love interest. The Bad Guys.

A good novel is going to have flawed characters, and often the bad guys become the good guys, the hero fallen, the love-interest turning into Jezebel. Or even, no plot - if the literature is to paint a portrait of a time, or a people, or to make another point. There are many such - from Huckleberry Finn, to Jame's Kunstler's World Made By Hand.

So...a good story often becomes a poorly-planned screenplay.

EDIT: It was Adventures in the Screen Trade.

Lawrence Block wrote Telling Lies for Fun and Profit.

I was reading a lot of those, in those years, when I was unemployed.

(*sob*) I came so close with The Cadet. Was going to be a miniseries.

The Fauci Plague hit.

(*sob*) I came so close with The Cadet. Was going to be a miniseries.

The Fauci Plague hit.
You'd have been Cancelled, anyway.

This was not a sudden thing - the key players and critical mass, were in place for years. They were waiting for a TIME to force Woke on everyone.

The Plague simply unhinged the masses, so that - the Queer Mafia hoped - the masses would accept the chaos of being force-fed sexual insanity along with obliteration of the national borders, destruction of money, and socially-destroying rational prominent people.

Carlson got sacked; you'd probably have been castigated as well All that White propaganda...everyone knows, all whites were slavemasters and got rich off the noble hyphenated-Americans.

Back
Top Bottom