• 1 Post By PMBug
  • 1 Post By 11C1P
  • 1 Post By PMBug

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2018, 08:37 AM   #1
Golden Cockroach

Liked: 2379 times
Google "do no evil" meta thread

I remember when the internet was nascent and navigating it was an adventure. Google was born and quickly killed off it's competitors in the space like Alta Vista, Netscape and Ask Jeeves. The made a big deal about their corporate motto being "do no evil" which, back in the day, seemed really odd. Doesn't seem so odd today - especially since they dropped that motto some time ago.

Anyway, I could probably write a small book on the various evils that I perceive with Google, but it seems like Julian Assange has already written a book and an excerpt from the book (it's fairly long) is posted here:

https://wikileaks.org/google-is-not-what-it-seems/

For the record, I try not to support Google whenever possible. I changed the default search engine in my web browser to https://duckduckgo.com/ . Google lives off of the ad revenue from it's search engine. If you don't want to support them, stop using their search engine.

Quote :
DuckDuckGo (DDG) is an Internet search engine that emphasizes protecting searchers' privacy and avoiding the filter bubble of personalized search results.[3] DuckDuckGo distinguishes itself from other search engines by not profiling its users and by deliberately showing all users the same search results for a given search term,[5] and emphasizes returning the best results, rather than the most results, generating those results from over 400 individual sources, including crowdsourced sites such as Wikipedia, and other search engines like Bing, Yahoo!, and Yandex.[6][7]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DuckDuckGo
11C1P likes this.

Important stuff: PMBug 101 * Forum Guidelines * Support PMBug
PMBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 04:09 PM   #2
Ground Beetle

Liked: 485 times
I've been using duckduckgo.com for years as well. Sometimes I will have to use either bing or google, cause I don't like their map feature & they don't seem to have as good a choice in images as the other 2.
PMBug likes this.
Old 12-05-2018, 09:56 AM   #3
Golden Cockroach

Also: https://townhall.com/columnists/john...-line-n2536980
11C1P likes this.

Old 12-05-2018, 01:24 PM   #4
Ground Beetle

Big brother is watching & taking notes. Between Google, Facebook, Twitter & Amazon, the amount of data they could mine on people who don't want to be data mined & have done nothing wrong is absolutely insane. I use Firefox & Duckduckgo & don't use FB that much. We do order quite a bit from Amazon, especially in the last year & a half to send stuff to our son in the army. I try to turn off history & clear it out when I forget, but do they really stop collecting your history or delete it, just cause we ask? I'm very dubious.

PMBug likes this.
Old 12-05-2018, 03:38 PM   #5
Golden Cockroach

I use Firefox (FF) too. By the way, two excellent extensions for FF are NoScript and PrivacyBadger. NoScript give you granular control over what javascript has permission to run. It's great for security (blocks malicious javascript), privacy (blocks javascript that collects info on you for 3rd parties) and faster browsing (less overhead). PrivacyBadger supposedly blocks web beacons and such that also track your movement from site to site, but I'm not well versed in exactly how it works (but I trust the author/EFF).
11C1P likes this.

Old 12-05-2018, 07:15 PM   #6
Ground Beetle

Originally Posted by PMBug View Post:
I use Firefox (FF) too. By the way, two excellent extensions for FF are NoScript and PrivacyBadger. NoScript give you granular control over what javascript has permission to run. It's great for security (blocks malicious javascript), privacy (blocks javascript that collects info on you for 3rd parties) and faster browsing (less overhead). PrivacyBadger supposedly blocks web beacons and such that also track your movement from site to site, but I'm not well versed in exactly how it works (but I trust the author/EFF).
I'll have to check them out, I have all 3rd party cookies blocked & have to grant permission to run flash, but I don't think so for java. I wonder if that extension is similar to selecting "no page style"? I also have it set to block all trackers.
Old 12-05-2018, 07:17 PM   #7
Ground Beetle

I wonder if he said it with a straight face?

Zuckerberg denies Facebook ever 'sold anyone's data'

"Facebook's Mark Zuckerberg on Wednesday said the company has never sold user data after a member of the British Parliament released a trove of documents that he claimed shows the company gave special access to third parties without user consent.

In 2014, "we decided on a model where we continued to provide the developer platform for free and developers could choose to buy ads if they wanted," Zuckerberg wrote in a post on Facebook directly addressing the U.K. lawmaker Damian Collins and the mass of internal documents he released.

"Other ideas we considered but decided against included charging developers for usage of our platform, similar to how developers pay to use Amazon AWS or Google Cloud," he said. "To be clear, that's different from selling people's data. We've never sold anyone's data."

Collins, who heads a U.K. Parliament committee on social media, released a trove of documents he had seized from a firm suing Facebook, which Collins said seems to show that Facebook entered into "whitelisting agreements" with companies without its users' consent.

"Facebook have clearly entered into whitelisting agreements with certain companies, which meant that after the platform changes in 2014/15 they maintained full access to friends data," Collins wrote in a note attached to the document dump. "It is not clear that there was any user consent for this, nor how Facebook decided which companies should be whitelisted or not."

Zuckerberg said Wednesday that certain developers were purged from the platform in 2014 because they were "sketchy." He noted that Facebook does not "let everyone develop on our platform" for a number of reasons.

"Some of the developers whose sketchy apps were kicked off our platform sued us to reverse the change and give them more access to people's data," he wrote. "We're confident this change was the right thing to do and that we'll win these lawsuits."

Facebook has been under intense scrutiny over its privacy policies and how it handles user data.

Lawmakers in Britain tore into Zuckerberg for failing to appear personally before a parliamentary panel last month and some American lawmakers have urged increase regulatory oversight over the company."