A Great Wedding

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

ancona

Praying Mantis
Reaction score
I received an invitation two months ago to attend the wedding of a young lady who is the daughter of a business associate. I have known the father and the bride for a very long time now. in fact, I remember being at a company picnic with my friend Dave and his daughter over eighteen years ago, and she was diligently working with a soccer ball trying to keep it in the air with just her feet and knees. She was six.

Saturday night she got married to her very long time boyfriend. They agreed that they would hold off getting married until they had both finished college, had good jobs and paid back their student loans. They're both doctors now, and having waited for both children and marriage, they are uniquely positioned to begin living as a married couple completely unencumbered with debts usually associated with being freshly married.:gold:

Anyhow, the ceremony was short and sweet, done in southern Presbyterian style by an uncle of the groom. After the short ceremony, there was an hour of socializing with lots of old associates in my industry as well as medical professionals that were invited by the young doctor couple. All in all, it was a great time for both myself and Little Ancona, who has never been to a formal occasion with all of the bells and whistles.

I haven't put on a three piece and a bow-tie in years, so it was kind of fun to play dress-up with the kid and hang out with a lot of folks familiar with my arena of work. We got there a day early to take in some of the area attractions and run around with my friend Dave. Friday was great fun all the way around and we had a lot of magnificent food and beer. :beer:

Saturday was a nice, lazy day which had Little Ancona and myself driving around the area sampling all the food and fun we could find. At 5:30 we went to the wedding and reception, after which we went back to our 4 star hotel and collapsed in to bed. The mother of the bride arranged for a really nice tour bus to drive back and forth between the venue and the hotel so that no one would have to drive after drinking, which made for a great night, since no one wants to have to throttle back to two or three beers at a four hour reception. Sunday was a little more lounging around, breakfast in bed and a final swim/jacuzzi before doing a late check-out and driving home.

The great thing about Central Florida is the proximity of so many things to do and see all in a very small relative area. After eight straight weeks of frenetic bidding, I needed a three day weekend in the worst way, and this turned out to be a perfect distraction. Little Ancona got to do a formal dress-up occasion and her old dad got to get away for a few days, eat some agreeable food and drink all the beer I wanted.

The newlyweds were showered with some mighty fine gifts, which included some very nice scientific gear for the bride, who moonlights with her pop as an environmental engineer. She got a beautiful Olympus phase contrast microscope and an acetone vaporizer [for doing acetate based stuff] and several very nice meters. One was just like one that I have and is called a GE Protimeter, which will make some of the tasks associated with moisture and environmental testing substantially easier. She used to have an old Delmhorst analog WME meter, so it was a nice up-grade.

The brides very generous uncle paid for a fantastic 14 day honeymoon in the Mediterranean, with stops in six cities.

All in all it was a very nice occasion and Ancona, and Little Ancona had a great time with some great friends.:cheers:

Last edited:
They agreed that they would hold off getting married until they had both finished college, had good jobs and paid back their student loans. They're both doctors now, and having waited for both children and marriage, they are uniquely positioned to begin living as a married couple completely unencumbered with debts usually associated with being freshly married.:gold:

That is one of the smartest things they will ever do. They prepared for marriage, and now they will get to reap the benefits for the rest of their lives.

If everyone did the same thing, the whole world would be better off. Lack of sufficient money coupled with lack of preparedness is the single biggest factor in most marital problems, including divorces.

I hope Little Ancona takes a lesson away from this marriage ceremony and prepares for life just as that couple has.

And, yes, talk about a weak rant. Are we going to need to find someone to replace you?:cheers:

I am glad you had a nice time.

I ponder tho- anyone who gets married- it sure seems like a gamble.

The newlyweds were showered with some mighty fine gifts, which included some very nice scientific gear for the bride, who moonlights with her pop as an environmental engineer. She got a beautiful Olympus phase contrast microscope and an acetone vaporizer [for doing acetate based stuff] and several very nice meters. One was just like one that I have and is called a GE Protimeter, which will make some of the tasks associated with moisture and environmental testing substantially easier. She used to have an old Delmhorst analog WME meter, so it was a nice up-grade.

Did anybody consider just giving them a blender? :rimshot:

I .

I haven't put on a three piece and a bow-tie in years, so it was kind of fun to play dress-up with the kid and hang out with a lot of folks familiar with my arena of work. .

:

Where's that "This thread is usless without pictures"icon???

I haven't had time to download the pics yet. I'll post one or two when I do.

Back
Top Bottom