How do I compare?

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

ancona

Praying Mantis
Reaction score
I came across a neat little chart showing average wages in a bunch of developed countries. You plug in your country of origin, as it is spelled in the list of countries, then your monthly salary before tax, and a red line moves across the bar chart to show you where you stand in relation to the rest of the planet. Pretty eyebrow raising.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17543356

I knew there was a lot of poverty in India, but seeing them near the bottom of that graph and thinking about how huge their population is - it really drives home the point.

PMBug,
When I hear the "OWS'ers" bitch about the "one percent", i wonder if they know that we are ALL the one percent here in USA?

The national debt is now $44,900 per person. If everybody got $4000 a month for a year they would be near the top of the graph. I want my money back! :mad:

PMBug,
When I hear the "OWS'ers" bitch about the "one percent", i wonder if they know that we are ALL the one percent here in USA?

went into a Jollibbes one day (Jollibees is the equivelant of McDonalds in the Philippines). Sign on the door: dishwasher wanted. Must have masters degree, must measure (gave measurements) must be attractive, 24 years old. It occurred to me when you have ten thousand people applying for a dishwashing job you can be choosey.

I came across a neat little chart showing average wages in a bunch of developed countries. You plug in your country of origin, as it is spelled in the list of countries, then your monthly salary before tax, and a red line moves across the bar chart to show you where you stand in relation to the rest of the planet. Pretty eyebrow raising.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17543356

Bing was horrified to see how low the Philippines wage is when compared globally

Kind of meaningless since it's a pre-tax calculation and no correlation to cost-of-living. According to the chart, my wage is 108% of the Sweden average, and yet I'm so poor I share a 1-room apartment with 2 kids.

There's a blurb about the chart being built around Purchasing Parity Dollars, which i believe takes in to account the relative value of foreign currencies.

It's really not going to be that accurate since taxes and cost of living varies wildly from state to state, and even city to city. Different countries is a whole different animal again. Also if you have kids, it means you aren't going to be able to afford the same kind of luxuries a person with the same salary who doesn't have kids.

It's really not going to be that accurate since taxes and cost of living varies wildly from state to state, and even city to city. Different countries is a whole different animal again. Also if you have kids, it means you aren't going to be able to afford the same kind of luxuries a person with the same salary who doesn't have kids.

point. My wife worked for six years on three two year DH contracts at 100 US dollars a month (first years pay kept by your employer to pay for plane ticket). Since they hold your passport, you are subject to beatings and rape with no recourse. I don't know how you translate that.

edited to add that is the norm for literally hundreds of millions of foreign workers.

I can kind of 'stand still' on $10 a day

How so many can live on so much less ...............

Something is wrong. When I plug in these salaries they go off the chart. Must be a mistake.

The compensation for most Senators, Congressional Representatives, Delegates, and the Resident Commissioner from Puerto Rico is $174,000.20

The only exceptions include the Speaker of the House ($223,500) and the President pro tempore of the Senate and the majority and minority leaders in the House and Senate ($193,400).

Those figures are only a fraction of the benefits they receive. They don't have to pay to mail anything (supposed to only be directly related to their work but they don't bother with rules) Free checking accounts with no overdraft charges. Those infamous free haircuts, they get lifetime medical coverage, the good stuff, not barrycare. They get housing & clothing, travel allowances, the get luxurious vacations referred to as "fact finding missions" or junkets or whatever the term de jour is at the time. Becoming a senator or representative is basically a card saying your set for life. It's a damn disgrace. I would be willing to eat the bill if the current congress would exempt themselves and all prior congress, but put term limits & perk limits on all future elected scumbags.

Back
Top Bottom