I am back from Chicago.

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Penn

Yellow Jacket
Reaction score
I left Saturday night- 8:30 pm ET, got there 9:30 am CT.

I loved that there was no one on the road. I stopped and slept on some chairs in the driver den of the Ohio turnpike. Maybe about an hour- I also got lost which added an extra hour.

What a night mare.

There was no sign to continue i80 via the Indiana turnpike- so the only choice is to end up on the Chicago sky way. There is no sign saying how much the toll cost- no change is dispensed- cameras everywhere. No way to call for help. You either pay the unknown amount into a half functioning coin machine- after about 7 minutes of not being able to operate it- I was forced to back up about 3/4 a mile- to find another exit. Same deal there- no clerk- no posted sign as to how much coins you put in- and the prior machine ate $1 of mine. Somehow $1.80 made the gate open. So I got off- in the ghetto. Drove in circles for close to an hour. Once I got situated headed to my brothers- I needed explicit directions- I was there once- but it is all foreign to me.

Somehow tho there was a communication gap.

My brother flying me to Florida, as he said many times- and he said he would re-imburse me- to drive to Chicago- but apparently "for Thanksgiving" does not mean the week end that just passed- when I asked him for cash- he said "that was not part of the deal". So there I am 680 miles from home- I have $1.40 in my checking, $22 available on my credit card- I had $80 cash- which later I re-figured it to be $94. Tolls one way are about $26.

My brother is also mad that I paid the tolls- which my license plate is on his transponder ez pass. So he think his account will be changed AND I paid.

I did not know if I would have enough to get home.

I pondered that if I hit the right day- I might be able to afford gas-if I use the debit card before the car ins went thru.

How did I mis understand that the gas would be re-imbursed?

So now I feel like a beggar. People ask how I am- and I have to start lying.

Taking a trip is no big deal.... there are not too many instances where I have an extra $300 in any given month.

So now my sister has an attitude- and I just blocked her on facebook.

We tried to have a pizza dinner but the ball game was too loud.

I just drove 12 hours in sleet- snow- poor roads- and my sister just told me that I should have more patience.

Seeing mom was worth it- and she gets all upset- what about her and the others. She has 3 screaming kids-

No- everything is not ok. My 2013 life is- eating sandwhiches for days on end. Scraping coins together to come up with rx co pay.

I cant pretend everything is ok.

Visiting them- made things worse. Christmas was supposed to be festive- and my attempt at celebrating did not work out.

One good thing- is- I knew the area some. Had I been in FL with low resources...that would have been worse.

So we had the pizza- my brothers talked like I wasnt even there. This happened the last time- and I figured- they had not talked in a while.
But it happened again.

I am going to have to cash in some gold to get thru the month.

My stack is supposed to be for a rainy day.

Its been raining.

glad you made it back, Penn. Next time maybe you need a trunk monkey...

I just got back from the coin store. No deal.

He would not go anywhere neat APMEX buy price.

I had a 1/10 oz eagle, 1/10 maple. .18 gold coin. oh well.

You are going to the wrong person Penn. My guy will buy gold at 3% below spot and silver at 4% below for sovereign stuff.

I did not even try to silver stuff. He never came out and said exactly what he would pay.

Those 3 pieces are common too. It angers me in that physical inventory is hard to come by. We all know that. So why do we pretend it is junk!??

Maybe I dont have to sell. I will just eat cheap lunch meat sandwhiches the rest of the month.

This is not how I pictured retirement- and not how I pictured a PM safety net working.

...mom mentioned she dropped $20 in the mail. So- it could stretch- I suppose.

Penn

I dont really know what to say .........

You have my sympathy ........ but what use is that ?

When you need money, the world seems to contrive to steal what you do have.

I dont have the answers and simply recognise how fortunate I am by comparison.

Be well.

Rbl

Thanks for your reply. I just wanted to vent. It will all work out.

deep down I really dont want to sell any. I certainly am not going to give it away.

The holidays are stressful for everyone. My way of dealing with it- produced less then ideal results.

It it possible I misunderstood.

The big thing is I am home safely and getting back to my usual routine. I also am not behind on the bills- I have a $6.20 to mail out yet.

I find in life- my biggest regrets are when I went against my own rules.

I let this happen. So this is on me.

What is one persons comfort zone is not anothers. I left an apology message for my sister- and can unblock her tomorrow. When you block someone on bf- you cant change it for 48 hours.

The fkker at the coin store knew those coins were highly traded - but acted like they were toxic. he said he cant make a profit on them. Well then- WHERE IS HIS INVENTORY?????????????????????? WHERE!?

Studying PMS for 5 years- I know what I had was not junk. I could always post a for sale on a message board. I dont want to do that for now.

I think the coin guy is full of BS. He was not willing to offer any price- did not state so.
so I guess I was supposed to say I was deparate and sell him each for $100 each. Well that aint happening.

It will all work out. In fact his attitude makes me want to hold on to it even tighter. Dealers cant get physical and his shop hardly ever has gold or silver coins in it.

Dont try to BS me. And on that much I know the 1/10 eagle was worth up to $133. As that was the APMEX buy price.
He would not verbalize any dollar amount offer.

Next month- I want to go in there and buy junk silver from him. Just to prove I did not misunderstand the precious metals market!!

Penn, I didn't mean to be flippant posting the trunk monkey thing. I don't have any family, so I don't have the holiday family stress thing, I'm used to doing whatever I want without caring what someone else thinks. Bing does the filipina army thing here, with the large filipina community we have. I like the food! The rest of the family is 13,000 miles away, and we don't see them that often.

Penn, I didn't mean to be flippant posting the trunk monkey thing. I don't have any family, so I don't have the holiday family stress thing, I'm used to doing whatever I want without caring what someone else thinks. Bing does the filipina army thing here, with the large filipina community we have. I like the food! The rest of the family is 13,000 miles away, and we don't see them that often.

Oh Jay- you are completely fine with the trunk monkey post. I smiled at it.

:)

Most of my posts are on this board. The regulars here are a nice crowd. I never worry about a rude reply to things I post here.

I like too that there are replies. :)
http://www.pmbug.com/forum/images/smilies/pffftt.gif
and BTW- I really could have used a trunk money. Hahaha

My experience (only) is that fractional gold Eagles are hard to get now.

Don't let them go, Penn!

It's a shame that ingrates in the family can spoil a festive time of year. That will not happen to Mr and Mrs Bearing this year.

We are staying here, and our daughter will go to her b/f's parents. First time ever for us, I think, without our only kid. But, we're not "social butterflies" either...

update:

I bartered the 1/10 maple today. A mom and pops place I buy from. It was a decent deal for her, but also for me. In the past they extended credit to me.

Today was an exercise in why we stack. Bypassed the dollar thing.

Funny thing- I never knew she was interested in coins. She heard coin, gold- 1/10 and was interested- so I figured the maple would be best.

Back
Top Bottom