I applied for a job at.......

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

ancona

Praying Mantis
Reaction score
..........Space-X today.

Just for the hell of it, I went out to LC-40 and talked to a friend about their program for a bit. I invited him over to "the dark side" [NASA] to have lunch at Headquarters and he accepted. We had a very animated conversation about their rocket program which ended up with him asking me if I was interested in applying for an engineering job at Space-X. Naturally, I said I would. We went back to their office and I filled out five pages of paperwork, gave them my OPM security background investigation stuff and made copies of all of my clearance badges and so forth. Now, I guess it's wait and see.

These guys have their pick of the litter when it comes to new hires, so I don't hold out a lot of hope that this goes anywhere, but it's worth a shot. If hired, I would probably be the oldest guy there.

Well, we all wish you the very best!

Space-X, IIRC, is that private space venture, no? That would be a really great employer (as long as they stay solvent...).

Good luck!

They have almost two billion dollars in new grants and funding, so I think they will be solvent for some time to come. Actually, I just did it on a lark, since I doubt they will hire someone so close to being put out to pasture. Their demographic is 25 - 35, which makes me fifteen years to the outside.

If they have a need for your skill set, experience and security clearance(s), age isn't going to stop them from bringing you on board IMO. They are looking for people who can produce results.

Sounds great, here's some advance congratulations going out to you.

Hey Ancona --- I hope it goes well for you! Be sure to still take some time off before starting your new job @ Space-X!

ADK

For someone who was going to "recover" for six months or so after the current job runs out, you sure are not wasting time throwing monkey wrenches into your "vacation time".

For someone who was going to "recover" for six months or so after the current job runs out, you sure are not wasting time throwing monkey wrenches into your "vacation time".

Must mean he's not a democrat.

good luck with that, Ancona, that would be awesome job to land at!! I think you'd owe your "old man" a little thankful something, if that comes to fruition - for him closing the shop!

MMerlin, Actually, I applied as a sort of "what the hell" kind of thi9ng, because the offer was made and because I am not one to wallow in self pity nor doubt my experience. I could sincerely blow some folks out of the water over there as I have over two decades in aerospace and military experience. That said, they really are looking for a younger, fresh faced crowd, not some grizzled old guy such as myself. Either way, I will still have many contracting opportunities with them irrespective of where I hang my hat. I am one of only a few folks around that have any experience with hypergolic fuels, which while they do not utilize them in their primary vehicle, they will use them when loading satellites for space flight, so the need exists. In addition, I have myriad other shingles I can hang along with that.

... I have myriad other shingles I can hang along with that.

20 years of building experience and contacts gives you a HUGE edge against the not-yet-dry-behind-the-ears crowd. You definitely will not have a problem landing a decent job. It is just a question of which one.

Regardless, you have time, so weigh your options well. It would be disastrous to you, your family, and your self-esteem if you jumped into the wrong job.,

I agree. While i am always on the prowl, I really don't care if it takes one year, two years or five years, because when I do accept a position, it will be my last position.........forever. At fifty, I do not want to play fucking employment hop-scotch like some of the folks I know, I simply want to enjoy what I do and continue to stack and store.

From here in the cheap seats, I have finallyt convinced Mrs. Ancona that all will be well and we are all set for a long duration with me not working if that is how it needs to be to maintain family harmony. I refuse to take a job just for the sake of having one. I did not work this hard, for this long, to be a fucking worker bee. In fact, i will have enough analytical equipment to go rogue and just pimp myself out to some folks I know in the industry and be a consultant. I would have the same freeedom I have now but only a small fraction of the responsibility and liability. We'll see.

I agree. While i am always on the prowl, I really don't care if it takes one year, two years or five years, because when I do accept a position, it will be my last position.........forever. At fifty, I do not want to play fucking employment hop-scotch like some of the folks I know, I simply want to enjoy what I do and continue to stack and store.

From here in the cheap seats, I have finallyt convinced Mrs. Ancona that all will be well and we are all set for a long duration with me not working if that is how it needs to be to maintain family harmony. I refuse to take a job just for the sake of having one. I did not work this hard, for this long, to be a fucking worker bee. In fact, i will have enough analytical equipment to go rogue and just pimp myself out to some folks I know in the industry and be a consultant. I would have the same freeedom I have now but only a small fraction of the responsibility and liability. We'll see.
Do that. Consulting means you don't have to put up with company BS, you just show up, do your job, take your pay, and leave. If going months and months, year+ even, without knowing where the next paycheck will come from, or if there will even be one, is okay with you, then being a consultant is the way to go. And while you are working you'll probably command a higher rate. That is at least what I have observed with people I know well who consult.

Yes, consulting = much greater flexibility and freedom with your time.

That's not to say that you won't end up working more hours/day than you would working for someone else, but somehow longer hours are less painful when you own them.

Back
Top Bottom