LA sinkhole expands

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Uh... When I read the thread title, I thought it was referring to a sinkhole in Los Angeles (because, you know, California "sucks").

That looked like a run of the mill Louisiana swamp. What exactly what are we looking at there?

This is the Bayou Corne Louisiana sinkhole. It happened as a result of over-mining a salt dome. The hole is hundreds of feet deep and has been growing in size for months and months. There are regular hydrocarbon releases including oil and hydrogen sulfide.

Uh... When I read the thread title, I thought it was referring to a sinkhole in Los Angeles (because, you know, California "sucks").

That looked like a run of the mill Louisiana swamp. What exactly what are we looking at there?

I thought it was kinda amazing how FAST those trees disappeared....

OK I went back and looked at the way it posted, you have to go to the beginning of the video... sorry...

around 22 seconds....

Last edited:
I thought it was kinda amazing how FAST those trees disappeared....

OK I went back and looked at the way it posted, you have to go to the beginning of the video... sorry...

around 22 seconds....

Aha. Now I see. Fascinating.

....I must say something... guys filming that stuff from such a close distance (what looks like meters away from these sucking currents), are either very brave, or very stupid :loco:

I mean, they realize, right, that the reason that the whole fecking landscape is being sucked in, is that there are underground caverns/mine shafts there, and I presume they don't have too much chance to KNOW, how the whole thing will continue to collapse - and maybe, just MAYBE - not in the most predictable and ordered way :rotflmbo:

What a great situation we're leaving for our descendants. Glad I don't have any.

DCF, I'v been thinking on this comment since you posted it. (disclosure, I have five kids, his, hers and ours). While I feel very alarmed, Bing says nothing except "this is THEIR life". (we both started out "bad" and have a "nice" life now). Then today I ran across this comment on a gun blog:

Originally posted by Mercury

My wife and I never wanted children, and are still VERY glad we don't have any!

If you need children to "be complete" then you are doing something wrong. (Not saying you are that way, but I've heard people say that.)

Plain and simple, some people weren't meant to be children. They just don't have the temperament for it.

And not to sound negative, but the way the world is today, I think it is incredibly selfish to bring a kid into it. Things are way too screwed up to bring a child into this world right now. ]

Merc

This thought kinda cracks me up. "It would be cruel to bring a child in a world as fubar as this." You think that today human kind really faces more hardships and dangers then people did 300 years ago? How about 500 or 10 thousand years ago. We have it worse now then they did when they had 15ft tall bears wolves that weighed 250lbs plus and -40 degree temps all year long?

anyway, no point to this post, but....:flail:

Well, I'm all for kids. Just not billions of them. That's too many diapers to change.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom