local fight about homeless shelter

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Penn

Yellow Jacket
Reaction score
Not too far from here- they want to turn an old state facility into a homeless shelter.

The issue is- it would house THOUSANDS of people. The workers would be "volunteers"

What could go wrong?

Sounds like a FEMA camp!! The place can hold up to 5000 residents. It used to be a mental facility so the structure is already there.

NIMBY

Thousands... I noted your wording there Penn.

I have not seen a local report along these lines (S FL). Anyone else hear of a similar kind of story?

Down here in Florida the homeless population swells dramatically in winter. There are three fairly organized areas where dozens and dozens of people camp. The local cops leave them alone for the most part, but we occasionally hear of a fight being broken up or petty crime occurring. I would guess that the crime rate at these camps is actually a bit lower than the rest of the demographic in those areas simply because there is nothing to steal and no money for booze and dope.

Well even with all the trash drifting into our state now thanks to the oilboom, the homeless population tends to nosedive when the mercury hits -20 with a -40 windchill. Not to mention the population gets less when it gets really cold.

The town I live in has a good amount of empty houses. Squatters could easily do some damage. We are the go to town for the Union County area where the old Mental Retardation center.

Some towns ran into problems when the prison came in. So they changed how visits are done- that stopped some but not all of the trash from migrating.

The trash comes from NJ/NYC/Philly.

Back
Top Bottom