Precious Metals Forum

Go Back   Precious Metals Forum > Bunker Talk > STS

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2019, 06:17 AM   #21
Golden Cockroach

Liked: 2443 times
Originally Posted by rblong2us View Post:
Hopefully it will shut down discussion about having another referendum but I am beginning to wonder if we shouldnt all demand one (-;
I was really wondering about that. I haven't really been following news media as much on this story as I should. Chatter from the (American) peanut galleries that I frequent are strongly biased against Brexit so they tend to discuss news through that filter and I really don't have a good sense of where the British people stand on the issue. If these reports of support for Farage's brand new party are correct, it would appear that "Leave" is still too significant to ignore.

Important stuff: PMBug 101 * Forum Guidelines * Support PMBug
PMBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 06:24 AM   #22
Golden Cockroach

Is Ann Widdecombe anyone of significance in UK politics?
Quote :
Tory stalwart Ann Widdecombe hopes to give 'cloth ear' MPs a bloody nose after she sensationally defected to Nigel Farage's Brexit Party today and said her new leader should be on a pedestal with Margaret Thatcher.

The former minister, who was a Tory member for 55 years and appeared on Strictly in 2010, has put retirement on hold because she believes Theresa May and Parliament have betrayed the 17.4million who voted to leave the EU.

Paying tribute to the former UKIP leader's political record she said: 'Nigel Farage has been more successful than any politician other than Margaret Thatcher in my lifetime in getting his agenda through, and he's done this from outside Westminster'.

She has pledged to 'campaign vigorously' for the Brexit Party in the upcoming European elections in May and will stand against Boris Johnson's sister Rachel and Jacob Rees-Mogg's sister Annunziata in the South West.

She told Good Morning Britain: 'I'm on a mission. We need to send a seismic shock to both parties that the electorate have had enough. Just get it done. The cloth ears in Parliament are not hearing us. If we win an overwhelming majority this will send a shock wave and MPs will have to listen. This is not a protest vote, far from it. It is a means of trying to galvanise Westminster into getting this issue dealt with'.

The 71-year-old has joined Mr Farage's new party to try to get Britain out of the EU - and hopes that more big names will defect from the Tories and Labour.
More: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...xit-Party.html
rblong2us likes this.

Old 04-24-2019, 06:59 AM   #23
Yellow Jacket

Liked: 870 times
Anne Widdecombe was a big name in a previous Tory parliament. She 'tells it like it is' and I believe this was why she didnt get further up the food chain at that time.
I think she was still a minister when she went on a TV programme called 'Srictly Come Dancing' where she was able to project her true personality more openly and everybody loved her ( apparently ..... I have not had a TV for 10 years )

Her speaking out like this will really hurt the incumbent minority Tory Party and adds energy to my speculation regarding a seismic shock at the next general election.
PMBug likes this.
Old 04-29-2019, 09:22 AM   #24
Golden Cockroach

Quote :
BREXIT SHOCK: Farage party SOARS in EU Election vote with FIVE POINT boost - latest polls

NIGEL FARAGE'S Brexit Party has soared into a six point lead over nearest rivals the Labour Party, according to the latest polls.

By Thomas Mackie
PUBLISHED: 11:47, Sun, Apr 28, 2019 | UPDATED: 13:11, Sun, Apr 28, 2019

In a major blow to Theresa May's faltering party, the Tories are now down to 13 percent - 15 points behind the Brexit Party. Labour is currently on 22 percent while Remainers Change UK are tied with the Green Party on 10 points. The Lib Dems have seven percent while Ukip is on five percent.
The pollster asked 5,412 people of their European Parliament Voting Intention.

Research was carried out between April 23 and April 26.
https://www.express.co.uk/news/polit...y-Yougov-polls
rblong2us likes this.

Old 05-02-2019, 04:17 AM   #25
Yellow Jacket

Liked: 870 times
Londoners and 'foreigners' would seem to be the populations in favour of being told what to do by unaccountable Brussels bureaucrats.
I would be happy for Scotland and Wales to take themselves off and pay their own way and London is not really representative of a stable English community. Its full of foreigners and young people chasing the elusive fast buck. Good luck to em all but they can just as easily chase the dollar in a European capital.

But what will happen to property prices they all ask in horror ? ............
Heh, perhaps they would become affordable to regular folk who want to work and live in London. They might even have children and populate the schools (-:
Old 05-03-2019, 06:32 AM   #26
Golden Cockroach

Quote :
According to YouGov, Mr Farage’s party are now polling on 30% - an increase of 2% from the previous poll.
https://moneymaven.io/mishtalk/econo...Uq84iYxIXde3g/
rblong2us likes this.

Old 05-26-2019, 10:18 AM   #27
Golden Cockroach

I was out of town for a business conference last week. There was a lot of news related to May, Farage, Brexit and such. Events were happening fast. Unfortunately I wasn't able to keep up with it here.

As it stands now, May is stepping down and Farage's Brexit party looks to win big in the EU election. An effort to put a second referendum forward appears to have been killed.

Quote :
The Tories will choose a new Prime Minister by July.

Boris Johnson is the front runner, far and away.
An EU official said the “almost consensus analysis” was that May would be replaced by a hard Brexiter. “Mentally we have to prepare for a different breed on the other side of the table,” one senior official said. “The Tory party will be in survival mode and in order to survive it will have to regain credibility as the party of Brexit.”
https://moneymaven.io/mishtalk/econo...0mznNCrbWindQ/
rblong2us likes this.

Old 05-27-2019, 09:13 AM   #28
Golden Cockroach

Scotland and North Ireland have yet to publish election results, but the rest of the UK is in and the Brexit Party has won close to 50% of the available MEP positions. There is a lot of election result analysis out there, but the bottom line:

https://twitter.com/tomhfh/status/1132795039799795712