one reason why things are stupid

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Penn

Yellow Jacket
Reaction score
the scouts helped clean up the flood here.

now one is suing for dental work that he had his teeth damaged.

so from now- on- worker comp insurance will in the future be required... you watch

we ended up with a situation in the UK where no one could take scouts or youth groups anywhere because if they got hurt, the parents would sue.
Teachers were covered by the school insurance as long as it was an agreed school activity but volunteer assistants had no protection.

Eventually the law got modified but i cant remember the details.
Occasionally common sense creeps in but only when the nanny state approach can be seen to be totally counter productive.

Who you callin we, bro? When I was a scout it was "on you". Got hurt, got fixed (family bucks), that's it. I've always been against this sort of thing. Even when I ran medium sized businesses, I hired "contractors", not employees, to not have to pay insurance on them - their nickel. I just passed their money straight through and let them take care of that kind of thing - all by agreement. I offered them "jobs' under either plan - here, there's this much dough coming in on you - you can either have it all, or a lot less - same amount minus all that insurance crap - your choice. Must have only hired smart guys, not one went for the "state approved" method. Ever.

Edit: I should add, we didn't do anything particularly dangerous, except when we decided to do something odd/exciting for fun. So there was really no point in that - if you got hurt, it was because you chose to do something dumb.

Last edited:
But this was flood clean up from a once in a 40 year intense flood. There was no time for paperwork. Literally.

I always thought that it was stupid that we can't use prison labor to do menial tasks around the community... shit that no one wants to pay for and contractors don't really do.

For example, clean the park, shovel sidewalks, etc., We have some old WPA structures in town: walls and small buildings. The town is never going to fix them... let prison labor re-point the masonry and clean up the places... clean up graveyards, etc. But the State won't let them because the Unions complained that they were taking jobs and also, that the State liability doesn't want to put them at risk --- it gives inmates a reason to make up some BS story to cash out on.

Inmates aren't even allowed to grow their own veggies and compete with the veggie sellers. Oy.

FWIW, that's always bugged me.

ADK

There is ALWAYS work to be done. There will always a need for grave diggers and diaper changers.

I always thought that it was stupid that we can't use prison labor to do menial tasks around the community... shit that no one wants to pay for and contractors don't really do.

ADK

:agree:Amen, brother!

On a similar note....IMO, no one in this country should get a check for doing nothing. Okay, maybe in extreme cases such as quadriplegia, terrible birth defects, etc. But the vast majority of people in this country who receive money from the Social Security Administration in the form of SSI disability payments should have to work for the good of the public. Have them pick up litter, sweep streets, assist at day-care facilities, etc., etc. This shit makes me see red!

Lets suppose you achieve these 2 goals.

How would you measure it- and WHO would measure it?? Wouldnt the organization of it all mute any cost savings?

HCA1961 - Sounds like you and I are right on track! Lol...

I wouldn't think the organization of it would mute all costs. Even if you had one more gov't employee for each ten people you get to work, that's a plus. And, either way --- you pay these people to do nothing all day, true scammers, and there are a lot of them.

Look at the old CCC Camps --- they took 200 people per camp and assigned four of them to be leaders. Each camp only had a handful of gov't-direct employees. They did a hell of a lot of work around my neck of the woods. Good things, too. Reforestation, trail building, road work, etc.

At least you would get some community benefit from their labor.

I'd feel much better having the gov't cut them a check if I knew that they were at least working to better the community. Pick up trash, re-point the WPA walls, etc... Shit, have them tend to a community farm and the $$ from the sales go to the community and their paychecks. I could think of a million things for them to do in the community.

FWIW.

ADK

Here are my crazy views:
1) Stop giving free money to people in this country. Charities can handle the few that are truely in need. Having friends that work with the poor, the vast majority are poor/needy because of their own actions; drugs, alcohol, bad decisions, ect.

2) Only put people in jail for things that actually affect other people. Take a look at what people in this country are in jail for:
http://www.bop.gov/news/quick.jsp
Just looking at the top three:
"Drug Offenses: 93,876 (48.2 %)
Weapons, Explosives, Arson: 30,930 (15.9 %)
Immigration: 23,407 (12.0 %)"
You could get rid of over 3/4 of all prisoners if we stopped worrying about others using drugs, carrying firearms(2nd amendment anyone?), or immigration(If you don't give them free stuff, who cares if they immigrate?)

Back
Top Bottom