Powerful storms

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

ancona

Praying Mantis
Reaction score
Wow!! We're getting pretty powerful storms right now. Heinous downpours and lightning. I'll keep you posted on htis one. We probably are getting 2 inch an hour downpours, which means Lake Ancona will grow in size.:judge:

NOT good for the septic tank.......:flail:

the arctic is being hit by a HUGE cyclone which will exacerbate global warming (that doesn't exist of course) to the nth degree....

sorry for the length of this post...

Cyclone warning!

I have postponed this post until I was sure that what follows is going to happen.

Remember the term 'flash melting'? That's when from one day to the next large swathes of ice disappear on the University of Bremen sea ice concentration maps. We witnessed one such instance last year when a relatively large and intense low-pressure area moved in from Alaska over the ice in the Beaufort and Chukchi Sea regions (see blog post). It lasted about a day or two and then quickly faded, but the effects were spectacular.

http://neven1.typepad.com/blog/2012/08/ ... .html#more

The following is excerpted from the comments section:

More on gathering storm impact:

The IJIS extent shows two century breaks for the last two days of reliable data, August 3 and August 4 (ignoring the prelim for August 5).

What is in store for next week w.r.t. ice extent?

Currently there is 700k in the Beaufort region, 700k in the Chukchi region, and 800k in the E. Siberian region, for a total of 2.2 M sq km at risk. The storm could easily take out one third of this extent this week, and scatter the rest.

But more importantly, the storm should strip the protective boundaries from the Central Arctic Basin and expose the 3.1 M sq km in the CAB to pack edge/ shattered pack melting.

One of my problems with the IPCC sea ice projections is that I expect just such a cyclone event to abruptly tip us to a seasonally Arctic sea ice free regime.

That is, I expect to go from a sea ice area of 2 or 3 million km^2 to almost nothing in one melt season as a result of a storm driven by the temperature differential between the sea ice and the surrounding environment.

one last post. I don't know how many people on this site are following the methane hydrate releases at the pole. The last NOAA ship to investigate a few months ago found the ocean to be boiling "like a teakettle". It seems a great many scientists (not all, obviously) believe the earth will be uninhabitable in a number of years. Thus the record number of high temp records set this year.
https://www2.ucar.edu/atmosnews/news/1036/record-high-temperatures-far-outpace-record-lows-across-us

http://thinkprogress.org/climate/20...c-heat-wave-and-drought-fuels-oklahoma-fires/

The ratio of hot to cold records historically was, of course 1 to 1. Since the middle of the last century it has averaged above that. During the first decade of this century it averaged 2 to 1. Last year it averaged 3 to one.

So far this year it is averaging 12 to 1.

now mainstream media is starting to pick it up:
Study predicts imminent, irreversible planetary collapse

Using scientific theories, toy ecosystem modeling and paleontological evidence as a crystal ball, 21 scientists, including one from Simon Fraser University, predict we’re on a much worse collision course with Mother Nature than currently thought.

In Approaching a state-shift in Earth’s biosphere, a paper just published in Nature, the authors, whose expertise spans a multitude of disciplines, suggest our planet’s ecosystems are careering towards an imminent, irreversible collapse.

Earth’s accelerating loss of biodiversity, its climate's increasingly extreme fluctuations, its ecosystems’ growing connectedness and its radically changing total energy budget are precursors to reaching a planetary state threshold or tipping point.

anthropocene era:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthropocene

one last post. I don't know how many people on this site are following the methane hydrate releases at the pole. The last NOAA ship to investigate a few months ago found the ocean to be boiling "like a teakettle". It seems a great many scientists (not all, obviously) believe the earth will be uninhabitable in a number of years. Thus the record number of high temp records set this year.
https://www2.ucar.edu/atmosnews/news/1036/record-high-temperatures-far-outpace-record-lows-across-us

http://thinkprogress.org/climate/20...c-heat-wave-and-drought-fuels-oklahoma-fires/

The ratio of hot to cold records historically was, of course 1 to 1. Since the middle of the last century it has averaged above that. During the first decade of this century it averaged 2 to 1. Last year it averaged 3 to one.

So far this year it is averaging 12 to 1.

now mainstream media is starting to pick it up:
Study predicts imminent, irreversible planetary collapse

Using scientific theories, toy ecosystem modeling and paleontological evidence as a crystal ball, 21 scientists, including one from Simon Fraser University, predict we’re on a much worse collision course with Mother Nature than currently thought.

In Approaching a state-shift in Earth’s biosphere, a paper just published in Nature, the authors, whose expertise spans a multitude of disciplines, suggest our planet’s ecosystems are careering towards an imminent, irreversible collapse.

Earth’s accelerating loss of biodiversity, its climate's increasingly extreme fluctuations, its ecosystems’ growing connectedness and its radically changing total energy budget are precursors to reaching a planetary state threshold or tipping point.

anthropocene era:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthropocene
Jay - I recommend some different reading for the summer.
Evolutionary scientists love to constantly fill our minds with how 'fragile' our ecosystem is, when the plain facts of history is to show the opposite.

God created this world with a very robust and hearty ecosystem that enables the planet to withstand very dramatic changes. Change is not bad. Change is simply change. At one time, there were tropical-type plants growing in the Arctic, vast vineyards grew in central and northern England, etc.

Some of the greatest changes to climate in earth's history have occurred prior to the industrial revolution, so man had quite a minimal impact.

In Genesis 8:22 God promised...
"While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease."

I'll take the Creator's word over man's any day.

Jetstream, all is right in Gods world (always).

as George Carlin says, "the planet will be fine, we are the ones that are f&cked".

the climate change happening is not hypothesis, conjecture, supposition, or whatever else the MSM wants us to believe. But as I said before, the mainstream cannot believe it because it threatens the status quot, so as my wife says, Americans don't believe anything, they will believe it when it happens to them.

one of my favorite quotes is "It really doesn't matter whether you believe in reality or not, it will flatten you irregardless." \

hold on, cause its gonna be a heck of a ride! :)

quote:
Some of the greatest changes to climate in earth's history have occurred prior to the industrial revolution, so man had quite a minimal impact.

exactly. The methane hydrate release occurring right now has been postulated to have cause the prior five extinction level events. If you asked one hundred people walking through the grocery store what methane hydrate was, I doubt ONE could tell you.

I rest my case. :)

having said that, there is NOTHING we can do. With the expected 6 degree C. planetary increase in temps in the next decade, NO human life will survive.

here's a good article on methane:
http://www.envisionation.co.uk/index.php/blogs/14-the-methane-bomb

quote:
Methane is a far more potent gas than CO ² it breaks down over time to CO ² and its action in the atmosphere gradually reduces.

early corn harvest:

http://af.reuters.com/article/commo...08?pageNumber=2&virtualBrandChannel=0&sp=true

In case folks didn't quite catch this... These are the same people who will BABBLE climate change denial; but when dollars hit the dirt, what do they do? Adapt to climate change all the while saying its not happening.
:lol:

This is never an easy argument to get into but fwiw, heres what i get -

The sun is moving into a very active phase and earth, along with every other body in our solar system with any kind of atmos, is responding accordingly.
NASA obs confirm this.

The sun is not on a runaway mission, it just happens to be going through a very active point in one of its many cycles, it may even be responding to bigger alignments, such as the 2012 doomers moment of passing through the central axis of our galaxy.
So a 26000 year cycle peaks, along with other shorter cycles.

Then it will all quieten down and our weather patterns will revert to more familiar patterns.

Could be an interesting year or three though ............

And here in blighty our miserable summer continues with everything growing like mad but a lot of fields still too wet to get onto. Shoulda planted rice i reckon (-:

We've been getting slammed up here in NY with really strong pop-up storms today... looks like it's going to go through the weekend.

We need the rain, but not in such intensity!

ADK

Back
Top Bottom