Site traffic, low post counts

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

ancona

Praying Mantis
Reaction score
I find it curious that the site gets hundreds and hundreds of hits, there are a lot of members signed on but very few actual posters. I feel kind of weird posting four or five times because it looks like I've carpet bombed the site. Anyone else see these trends? There are a hell of a lot of lurkers as well.

Yes, I see the lurkers hiding as guests on the right hand column of the main page. Truth be told I'm usually that person. I just happened to get involved early in the discussions here in PM Bug.

This is pretty normal for (open registration) forums in my experience. As a general rule of thumb, there are generally 10x as many registered members as active (posting) members and 10-100x as many lurkers as registered members. The numbers skew heavier to the lurkers as the forum becomes more visible in search (Google, Yahoo, Bing) results.

This forum in particular is still very young - not even two months old now!

I have noticed it too, but the number of posters is slowly on the rise. Ancona, your posts are enjoyable to read, so no need to feel weird with the carpet bombing!:popcorn:

Last edited:
OK........so.......I'm not insane.

Hey now... Let's not be hasty here. We don't have any conclusive evidence on that issue. :pffftt:

Just kidding. Carpet bomb away if you have something to say. :)

The above numbers (about 10 x lurkers as posters) sounds about right. At my blog, maybe half the people who came via my cryptic instructions at Zero Hedge were lurkers, not frequent commentators.

YES, I think pmbug.com will attract a larger sized community. I have not done a thorough visitation of the many gold sites out there, but this one looks unique in terms of openness and friendliness to all.

Besides:

:judge: <-- where else can you put something like this an hour or two before starting in on the Havana Club?

I'll just add I see the same sorts of numbers on my site, maybe ~100x lurkers to posters. And even some of the more active posters lurk most of the time (I see them logged on a lot), then something sets them off and they post about it in a flurry, then they go silent for awhile again until something else sets them off.

This site has a lot of really good content already. The posters are smart, articulate, polite, and thinkers with practical knowledge - not a common combination out there in the world. You could guess that it intimidates some people who know they are relative noobs (I get emails to that effect about my own site). Let them lurk till they learn more and gain some confidence - bodes well for later.

Having a lot of lurkers means it's reaching people. That's as good as it gets for anyone who writes!

Quality over quantity...good mantra.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom