• 1 Post By Penn
  • 1 Post By ADK

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2012, 03:20 PM   #1
Yellow Jacket

Liked: 2046 times
Writing specs is a pain in....

my ass.

I picked up a little side job from an old friend of mine earlier this week to write several specifications for a project out at the Space Center. It's a pretty straightforward job for Lockheed Martin but the specs they want are insane. I will spend all evening tomorrow, all day Saturday and all day Sunday to trim them up and ship them out. The whole gig pays two and a half grand, which is pretty good jack, but I will spend the first dry weekend in three months stuck inside. Oh well, sometimes we just have to do what we have to do. I downloaded a pretty cool database called SpecsIntact, which is pretty easy to find and hijack, and learned how to use it last year. All of the specs are for removal of paints with hazardous constituents [RCRA metals and PCB's], Asbestos and universal waste removal, storage and disposal requirements. Pretty easy stuff but boring as hell. I have to go through this thing line by line, selectively editing them to tailor the spec to the job at hand and include all State and municip[al requirements that may blend with Federal requirements. Those citations I have to look up myself and insert.

Wish me luck.
Old 09-20-2012, 03:33 PM   #2
Golden Cockroach

Liked: 2449 times
Sounds a lot like writing tech support manuals for our software products. It's a mind numbing experience.

Important stuff: PMBug 101 * Forum Guidelines * Support PMBug
PMBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:49 PM   #3
Yellow Jacket

Liked: 249 times
This sounds like something I would post.
oppie2005 likes this.
Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:31 AM   #4
ADK
Predaceous stink bug

Liked: 123 times
I write specs and entire spec books, including front end boilerplate / contracts.

It is mind-numbing after about the first hour. 80 hours later and it makes one reconsider their career.

As long as I have enough of a break between projects requiring specs, I regain some sanity.

I feel your pain.

ADK
ancona likes this.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:30 AM   #5
Yellow Jacket

True that ADK, my brain hurts and I have only just started. Luckily SpecsIntact is a full boilerplate and only needs editing.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:35 PM   #6
Yellow Jacket

Liked: 872 times
good luck Ancona
The only boilerplate that would get me excited, would also have a steam whistle somewhere (-:

you never did confirm if your recently won work was for Ancona Inc or your old firm as you worked your notice ............
Old 09-21-2012, 02:42 PM   #7
Yellow Jacket

No.......it was for my current firm. I do the spec writing and project design as a sideline for a few guys. Actually, it's my sole source of mad money at this time with the exception of some estate sale stuff I do and building rifles. The gun thing works out to only be a few grand a year of profit, and if I look at actual hours spent doing it I'm only gertting paid about fifteen bucks an hour, but it's a lot of fum.