Yard work- how is yours going?

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Penn

Yellow Jacket
Reaction score
I pulled weeds, and did some pruning today of my blue spruces. My yard looks good. I fed the trees fertilizer=-I had gotten a bag of 3.5 lbs on clearance for 10 cents. - so I bought all 5.

I figure it costs a penny a gallon to use my water.. I fed the plants then watered- which ran maybe $1.

No vegas planted yet... sadly.

My apples and cherries are coming along nicely, or so I understand. Mrs. Lambone keeps up with that business when I'm overseas.

My landscaping beds need some serious weeding, but the plants have mostly woken up for Spring and our mild winter was kind to the tropicals. By mid-summer, you wouldn't even know the place was ravaged by a recent hurricane and hard winter (for our area) a year ago.

The small veggie garden is still producing chard and collard greens. I've got herbs growing everywhere. Basil is sprouting up here and there like a weed.

Fresh basil and oregano rock. I'll be planting the first as soon as I can, and hoping the second will come back on its own. My dill usually does that even though it's not a perennial, since it self seeds so well. I am eating asparagus already, but we're a little behind TX in our season as usual.

I'll have to ask the kid who does my lawn. So far, it looks pretty good. Since we never reeally had any cold weather in Florida this winter, I had to cut twice a month between November and February, so I spent a little bit more than an average year, where I usually stop between those months.

i put a foot of clean imported soil in a small area between some birch trees ( the only tree that can cope with heavy metal contamination ) and planted some gone over snowdrops.
This is going to be something of a tree propagating area / testbed for plant tolerance and a little green oasis for quiet contemplation when the sun is shining through the birch tree leaves ........ mmmmmmmm

not too much diesel was burnt in the making of this area

I did some more yard work today. Called the city for a brush pick up.

Easter Sunday -

lifted a couple hundred small birch whips that were trying to establish themselves on top of contaminated ground. The roots were spread into the leaf litter that had formed over the contamination, so they were really easy to lift and have good horizontal root structure.

Transplanted em into the freshly placed soil and watered em in using stream water.

Then from the uncontaminated ground beside the stream, I lifted a wheelbarrow of wildflower clumps and 'gone over' snowdrop and daffodil bulbs. All replanted around my little green oasis and yeehaa! some rain at last, with more forecast.
Its been ever so dry here in Blighty. Almost no rain for a couple of months .......

Good for digger work though and bugout 3 is slowly emerging from derelict mine workings Now ive got to create another green screen so it cant be spotted by the enemy (-;

Here's hoping the snow will all be gone in another week to 10 days. Then I can start some yard work.

Snow!?!?!?!?!

Where are you, Anchorage?

Holy cow man, I do not understand how folks can live in a place that still has snow into late April. The coldest day we had in Central Florida all winter was a freezing cold 39 degrees for a few hours. We had exactly one cold week, then back to the seventies and eighties. Today is sunny and breezy with a projected high of 82.

Snow!?!?!?!?!

Holy cow man, I do not understand how folks can live in a place that still has snow into late April. The coldest day we had in Central Florida all winter was a freezing cold 39 degrees for a few hours. We had exactly one cold week, then back to the seventies and eighties. Today is sunny and breezy with a projected high of 82.

When I was living in Oregon, we had snow 3 days before my wedding.. In June! Then warmed up to mid 70s by the weekend.

A lot of places are like that if winter starts a little later than normal.

Yeah DA, we had a very warm winter all over the US, but across Europe, it has been bitter, cold to the bone freezing, with just as many records for cold temps as we had for warm.

Snow!?!?!?!?!

Not quite that far! I'm a Canuck. But I did just come in from chipping away some ice and getting rid of a snow bank in my second driveway so I can use both of them to park now.
You guys have snakes and alligators. We get snow. My choice will always be for the snow.:rotflmbo:

Back
Top Bottom