Anyone besides me getting nervous?

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

ancona

Praying Mantis
Reaction score
With all of the Middle East saber rattling, and tough talk from Bejing nad Moscow, I am getting a little bit nervous about the S hitting the F. When wyou couple this with on-going wars and the European debacle, it looks like we may be facing a perfect storm. Are you prepared?

I don't think you can ever be fully prepared - mentally, spiritually, physically, financially - for what is likely coming down the pike.

As long as you´re doing the best you can to prepare yourself, your family, and your friends, you souldn´t be too nervous. Those of us who are awake will survive this hole shit even if we´ll have extremely tough times.
My great grandpa went through the Weimar hyperinflation, my grandfather survived WWII after fleeing from Germany to Switzerland. I will survive, you will survive. That´s how life is. Once it´s all over, we will be the ones to rebuild our societies.

I am not a good model to look at! I´ve been nervous since Jimmy Carter! You could even say that a broken mind can be right twice a lifetime...

Still, I cannot say that hardly anyone (in the USA anyway) that I know is really better off than before 2008 (only one exception I can think of off-hand).

Good comment, PMBug about it being very hard to be ready for what comes down the pike. I am not even close to being prepared, but at least I am edging my way there. Now, if I could convince my opera fan wife to go and live in Llano County, Texas... Well, then all would be good! Would she consider that? Not a chance...

So, if we get one of the BIG BAD TEOTWAWKIs, it will just be:

:flushed:

for me!

Last edited:
Looks like a typical breakout formation :cheers:
Given all the political (both fiscal and monetary) chaos, I wouldn´t give to much consideration to technicals, though.

The direction we break out of it will be determined by politics.

I don't think you can ever be fully prepared - mentally, spiritually, physically, financially - for what is likely coming down the pike.

Agreed. But we can all enjoy the adventure of getting ready - no matter where you're at, it can get a little better every day. If you think of it like that, it can even be fun! Might as well have any fun you can have.

No point in being nervous, what will happen will happen, and a clear calm mind will serve better then. The only point of fear now is to get you off your butt and doing something positive, once that starts, might as well ditch the fear, it's worse than useless. I know I get real calm in emergencies, knowing I can always go to pieces later (and do). There's a time for everything.

... get you off your butt and doing something positive, once that starts, might as well ditch the fear, it's worse than useless. ...

Yep. See my signature. :D

The world is always one argument away from a conflict. Just be happy, work hard and be a good person. There are things beyond our control, so why worry about what you cannot change?

sb3115.gif

... There are things beyond our control, so why worry about what you cannot change?

There was a rich oil man who ran for governor of Texas back in 1990. Clayton Wheat "Claytie" Williams, Jr. (R) looked like he was poised to win the election against Ann Richards (D). He was up in the polls by 20 points. However, he made an off the cuff joke that, unfortunately for him, wasn't off the record and widely reported:
... He compared the cold, foggy weather spoiling the event to a rape, telling ranch hands, campaign workers and reporters around a campfire, ''If it's inevitable, just relax and enjoy it.''

http://www.nytimes.com/1990/03/26/us/texas-candidate-s-comment-about-rape-causes-a-furor.html

He lost the election.

I think there is a fine line between "Don't worry, be happy" and not concerning yourself with tides that move our ships into dangerous waters.

Well.. All it took was losing our power for 7 hours on Saturday to remind me how ill prepared I am.

When I was first homesteading - water, no matter how much effort, was first. Then power. Water, well I have some springs and some jugs - long walk, but you learn to get by on what you can easily carry. Funny how little you use when it doesn't just fly out of a tap at a twist and you know you gotta go get it.

It's good habits too. I use a 1 gal jug in the kitchen, lasts about a week making tea and cooking. Takes 1.6 gal to flush the john once a day - that can be anything wet, doesn't have to be drinking grade - I get more than enough collecting rain for that, and for my weekly bath which takes another ~4 gal. Sounds pretty primitive, but seems perfectly normal after awhile, and now I'm free of that ridiculous "need" most have for 30-40 gal a day per person, even though I now have that most of the time.
20 gal a week can handle most truly important things.

If I were the type that sweats a lot (I'm not) well, there's always the river.

Power worked out similarly. At first, a couple big car batteries (charged off the car, nasty-inefficient) and some mods on the really crucial stuff - a couple lights, and a boom box to run right off the batteries. And then onward and upward with the solar, a real generator,, inverters, and very efficient appliances, to the point that the other day, the car charged up quick - then I had a ton of spare power to run A/C all afternoon. Looks like happening today, too. Pretty cool to have your own "gas pump" that says "$0/45 miles" on it.

Once you get up to "I can charge a car" levels - the home is an afterthought. Even my milling machines or welders pale by comparison - they're not taking a 2 ton brick and throwing it up a hill for miles on end, after all. And you kind of turn them off a lot to set up the next job anyway.

I've noticed something about the universe here, Derek brings it up nicely.

If there's a problem with you = you're heading toward a cliff - the universe will somehow start telling you about it - gently at first, like his power outage, which was probably more annoying than a true emergency. Then harder and harder - sometimes painful warnings, before you go over the cliff.

It's seemed to me that a large part of the "trick" is seeing the early, less painful warnings for what they are, and taking action before the universe smacks you upside the head hard to get your attention, since you weren't paying any until it got "loud".

There's going to be waves, the trick is learning how to surf, rather than getting pounded into the beach - you can warn and whine about the waves all you want - they don't care.

I have been doing so much reading recently. Sometimes I find myself getting a little depressed. I never understood the deep macro economic forces that effect everyone. Also how unfair the system is. Does not help that I live most of the year in a third world country and see very poor people struggling and can't help to think that the policies of the US and petro dollar system really hurt these people. There is 10% inflation on every thing here. I am not kidding come Jan 1st everything just goes up 10% at least. Everyone expects it. But the minimum wage only increases like 5%.

I dont think the inflation is what increased demand as Bernanke likes to say. I really have gained a new appreciation for how lucky we have been. When you experience the hard ships of others first hand it can take it out of you.

Guess I just need to stay positive.

I struggle with the same internal conflict from time to time.

"Serenity now!" /Seinfeld

Unless Ron Paul becomes president, Obama will attack Iran, using a false flag to kick it off. It's seeming more likely that it might happen before the next election.

Well, I for one am not nervous. Sometimes a bit excitable, but not nervous.

I am at peace with God and therefore have the peace of God.

I have a wife whom I love and who loves me.

I have (adult) children who are a joy to visit.

I was blessed with a friend who a long time ago pointed out to me the sham of the banking system and took time to patiently teach me the value of not trusting in fiat money for financial security.

I know the value of gold, but have not made gold my god.

So no, I am not nervous. But that doesn't mean I am complacent about life nor disengaged from the very real and extremely serious national and international situations that are bubbling up all around.

I was listening to the Peter Schiff show on podcast yesterday. He obviously is a Ron Paul fan and always talking libertarian issues which I agree with. He even mentioned he is about to start a Super PAC to help get like minded people elected in govt.

I would like to ask him: If these people get elected in enough numbers wont this radically change his investments? One of the reasons we do what we do is because govt consistently does horrible things. Perhaps a few people here or there will not make a difference. I am just curious what his response would be.

I imagine that he'd gladly accept needing to change the make up of his investment portfolio in exchange for rationality and freedom. That's a no brainer.

Not going to happen.

oh c'mon. You cant just say something isnt going to happen without giving some sort of reasoning behind your belief. :)

[edit] to go along with the Iran thing, I thank God for Senator Rand Paul

Last edited:
"They" are trying very, very hard to avoid open hostilities in Iran before the election. With Obama getting his nuts crushed by the entire congress, which unilaterally rejected his ridiculous budget, he can ill afford another war in his name. The Nobel Peace Prize winner is looking more and more like a lame duck than he is an electable incumbent. I think the Democrats have nearly zero chance of re-electing this Manchurian candidate again. If he is defeated, dozens of books will be written by sour insiders, detailing his insanity and the dictatorial and arrogant style of Mooch.

Wait for it man, 'cause it's coming.

the sabre rattling quotient seems to have dropped away somewhat

i would say that something has shifted behind the scenes .....
and the re election argument seems illogical because nothing has changed on the need to get re elected ......

or will war with Iran suddenly become necessary in the final run up to the election ?

Pretty f**king cynical way to run a planet then.

I think the only way for Obumster to retain power is through the use of the military and a declaration of Martial Law. If he does that, all bets are off. It would take an enormous false-flag event to get away with it, but he has enough sycophants to pull it off.

God help us if he does.

It will happen 2013 at the latest. They've been planning it for over 30 years.

I have a video on my hard drive of a retired General from the Pentagon, though I don't recall his name at the moment, giving an interview in 2007. In the interview, he states how our military is exceptionally good at toppling governments, and that the plans were in place to take down 7 countries in 5 years. Starting with Iraq, then Libya, Egypt, Sudan, Syria, Lebanon and then finishing with Iran. This was in 2007!!!!!! They have missed their timeline, and Lebanon is still intact, but nonetheless, my jaw hit the floor when I saw this. The events in the middle east have WITHOUT A DOUBT been planned. If there was a way I could upload the video to share, I would.

Back
Top Bottom