Aurora tonight! Geomagnetic storm in progress

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

EricTheCat

Big Eyed Bug
Benefactor
GIM2 Refugee
Reaction score
Just a heads up, there is a moderate geomagnetic storm in progress. I can confirm aurora is visible right now from Southern Minnesota.

From https://spaceweather.com/

HIGH LATITUDE AURORA WATCH: Today's surprise geomagnetic storm, described below, is subsiding a little, but it is far from over. Solar wind conditions favor continued storminess; currently, indices are fluctuating between category G1 (Minor) and G2 (Moderate). These storm levels could produce auroras in northern-tier US states after nightfall especially during the hours around local midnight.

Unfortunately, I can affirm that if you look at the northern sky from southeast Texas, you can't see shit. :(

Unfortunately, I can affirm that if you look at the northern sky from southeast Texas, you can't see shit. :(
It would take a pretty strong display to make it down there.

From what I can see here it is fairly bright but not all that dynamic. Hopefully it starts dancing a bit more. Maybe I should play some good tunes.

Right after I posted that it got way better. I just came in to warm up. Right before that I could see aurora all the way to the South.

It turns out I picked the right couple days to take off to burn vacation time in order not to lose it at the end of the month.

Funny thing, I monitor the airplane "guard" frequency (121.5 Mhz AM) and once in a while I hear pilots mentioning it. Normally they use that frequency for issues.

not gona be visible here in middle merica we are getting the firehose rain from the gulf

Back
Top Bottom