Barclays fined for manipulating LIBOR rates

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

This is regulatory theater at best.

Anyone who thinks this was rogue traders is a fuckig idiot at best and a <redacted - see forum guidelines on epithets> at worst. These guys were under orders, and if any them has a set of fucking balls, they will throw management under the bus as htey should do. The obfuscating begins. We'll see.

Anyone who thinks this was rogue traders is a fuckig idiot at best and a <redacted - see forum guidelines on epithets> at worst. These guys were under orders, and if any them has a set of fucking balls, they will throw management under the bus as htey should do. The obfuscating begins. We'll see.

Umm.. I don't think anyone is going to whistleblow. You might remember the article i posted about the bank of england official that committed suicide by stabbing himself in the back numerous times..

These are the fall guys. They get paid to keep their mouths shut.

I will be very surprised should anything come of it.

is anyone else here following the story that the Aurora shooters daddy was the one who wrote the LIBOR computer algorithm?

His daddy designed the algo that calculates FICO (credit) scores. I had not heard about him having any direct involvment in LIBOR computer systems (but I'm not paying that much attention to the story admittedly).

His daddy designed the algo that calculates FICO (credit) scores. I had not heard about him having any direct involvment in LIBOR computer systems (but I'm not paying that much attention to the story admittedly).

I was following it briefly on Malthusia. They said that he designed the LIBOR algo (some link made to Reagans shooter and his daddy also) BUT one of the forum members said that when trying to research the story, every link he came up with on the internet was exactly the same story, word for word. Thats a red flag right there...

(old joke, you know how to start a fight on the internet? Type something....)

I got the same thing when the story broke. For a few hours, there were several different stories out htere, but by the next day, they were all the same story and the links to others no longer existed.

Ahhhhh.....the Google memory hole. You've gotta love it.

Barclays receives award for LIBOR manipulation:

A senior yen trader at Royal Bank of Scotland made a revealing observation in mid-2007 about the bank panel that sets the borrowing rate in Japanese yen.

"The jpy libor is a cartel now. It's just amazing how libor fixing can make you that much money," the senior trader wrote in an instant message to traders at two other banks, according to a filing by the US Commodity Futures Trading Commission.

On Wednesday RBS admitted to manipulating the London Interbank Offered Rate in yen and Swiss francs between 2006 to 2010 and agreed to pay L390 million to the CFTC, US Department of Justice, and the UK's Financial Services Authority. Its Japan subsidiary pleaded guilty to wire fraud.
The attempts at manipulation within RBS were so casual that one trader joked that he moved his fixes day to day as much as a prostitute draws up and down her underwear, while a broker at another firm offered a RBS rate submitter a steak dinner in exchange for a favourable fix, according to the CFTC order.
Before the STM desk was physically separated in late 2008, there were relatively few written exchanges, but they included one conversation in which a trader asked for a low submission on Swiss francs. "What's it worth?" the submitter asked. "I've got some sushi rolls from yesterday," the trader responded.

After the separation, the electronic conversations became more frequent. However, the nature did not change. "Libors as requested," a submitter wrote in 2009. "You a top dog." The messages and emails laid an evidence trail that authorities would eventually follow.
Traders' requests were frequent and often changed direction. In September 2009 a RBS submitter moved the submission high one day for a yen trader and then lower the next day. "... Make your mind up haha," the submitter said.

"I'm like a whore's drawers," the yen trader replied.

More: http://gata.org/node/12212

Deutsche Bank has suspended more traders as part of an inquiry into whether staff attempted to manipulate inter-bank interest rates.

The BBC understands that five traders, based in Frankfurt, were suspended on Tuesday.

Deutsche has been looking into alleged manipulation of the Libor and Euribor benchmark lending rates.
Deutsche said in a statement: "Upon discovering that certain employees acted inappropriately, we have suspended or dismissed employees, clawed back unvested compensation, and will continue to do so as we complete our investigation."

The bank declined to confirm how many staff were suspended on Tuesday, nor how many had previously been dismissed or suspended.

The BBC understands, however, that Deutsche dismissed at least two traders last month in connection with its internal inquiries over whether Libor was manipulated.

The traders in Frankfurt were suspended over Euribor - a benchmark rate based on the rate at which banks based in in the eurozone can borrow, in contrast to Libor which is based on the borrowing cost of London-based banks.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21357172

Back
Top Bottom