Book suggestions for my Granddaughter

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Libertas

Elefthería
Reaction score
She just turned 12 and still likes to read. I'm trying to find some fun and wholesome books for her age group. Any suggestions?

Is there any particular genre that she likes to read?

Frank Peretti, author of This Present Darkness, has a series of young-teen books you might find to your liking. Find them on the bay.

Is there any particular genre that she likes to read?
She loves mysteries. She also likes reading about hobbies. I just bought a hot tent. [ tent with a fireplace] and we are planning some cold weather camping. She loves horseback riding and cooking too. I need some books to keep her busy when we camp because there will no internet.

I used to recommend that book for my dog obedience class students.
When I was around 12, I started reading a lot of science fiction. I recommend Nebula and Hugo award winners (though some may have adult themes/content in them so maybe read a synopsis before acquiring):

Edit: Just saw your post - Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew then?
She loves Nancy Drew. She has read a few of them. I forgot about the Hardy Boys. Ill check out the suggestions. thanks

Trixie Belden <-- Series of novels for 12-year old girls. My Scottish Witch came by and suggested this just now. She says she also loved the Ginny Gordon books.
1676749241446.png 1676749323506.png

Anne McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern series.
Any book by Alan Dean Foster.
Little Fuzzy and Fuzzy Sapiens by H Beam Piper.

Why don't they rewrite the Bible? It is just full of stuff they do not like.

I was assigned Animal Farm in Catholic grade school at that age. I find so often people quote it to this day.
"Some animals are more equal than others." I think it was how it went

Style
Edit
Each book in the Encyclopedia Brown mystery series is self-contained in that the reader is not required to have read earlier books in order to understand the stories. The major characters, settings, etc. are usually introduced (or reintroduced) in each book.

Books featuring Brown are subdivided into a number—usually ten or more—of (possibly interlinked) short stories, each of which presents a mystery. The mysteries are intended to be solved by the reader, thanks to the placement of a logical or factual inconsistency somewhere within the text.[4] This is very similar to the layout of Donald Sobol's other book series, Two-Minute Mysteries. Many of the mysteries involve Brown helping his father, the local police chief, solve a crime; Brown outwitting town bully Bugs Meany, the leader of a gang known as the Tigers; or Brown being aided by Sally Kimball, his partner, close friend, and bodyguard. Brown, his father, or Sally invariably solves the case by exposing this inconsistency, detailed in the "Answers" section in the back of the book.[5]

Back
Top Bottom