Caching Your Guns (Hide your stuff)

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

searcher

night scene
Benefactor
Reaction score

Caching your Guns for a Civil War​

Many people are talking about the possibility of a civil war. Some people are acting as if one is going to happen. The intersection between those sets is almost zero.

Nine years ago, I bought a lake home in nowhere WI. It came with a nonfunctional chest freezer in the garage. We cleaned it all up and thought about maybe fixing it. Did you know it can be buried with grass or flowers placed on top and keep firearms safe and clean? It can also be locked and buried or used for other prep type things. It can even be modified to an upright gun safe. Some ideas.

Nine years ago, I bought a lake home in nowhere WI. It came with a nonfunctional chest freezer in the garage. We cleaned it all up and thought about maybe fixing it. Did you know it can be buried with grass or flowers placed on top and keep firearms safe and clean? It can also be locked and buried or used for other prep type things. It can even be modified to an upright gun safe. Some ideas.
A buried chest freezer acts nicely as a root cellar for food storage. Just need a bit of ventilation.

Won't the neighbors wonder why yer burying a freezer in yer back yard?
Neighbors? Who gots neighbors?
Me.
Our neighbors are seldom here and we are building a garage this summer. Plenty of digging is a distraction.

Thinking outside the box, as it were...is good.

But that's not the way. You need AIR CIRCULATION.

Air that's 30-percent humid - very dry in Wisconsin, especially near a lake - 30-percent at an ambient temperature of 72, will be near 100-percent saturated when the ground freezes.

Moreover. That box isn't intended to be watertight. It may (MAY!) hold out water for a time, but when groundwater seeps in, and condensation does its work...and you dig out your cache...you'll have rusty scrap.

FWIW. DYODD.

Make sure you use a protected plant species. That way it will be illegal for anybody to dig them up. This also works for the bodies of trespassers.

Back
Top Bottom