Compound Interest Vs. Silver Over 2500 Years: What is The Better Investment?

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

searcher

night scene
Benefactor
Reaction score
Just an interesting / entertaining walk & talk with Nick. 14 mins.

Is compound interest or silver the better investment over a 2500 year period? I am at the Parthenon on the Acropolis in Athens Greece. I look at what the daily salary was of a worker at the Parthenon which was built about 2500 years ago. The workers were paid 1 silver Drachma coin a day. I look at what that coin could buy back then and also the current day silver value of the 1 Drachma coin. What if that ancient Greek worker was able to put the dollar value of that coin into a bank earning compound interest 2500 years ago. How much would it be worth today? So which is really the better investment, the compound interest from a bank or holding onto to a silver coin for 2500 years?

I also calculate the compound interest for a US penny over this time period and see what it would be worth today. You will be shocked how much a penny back then at 5% compound interest for 2500 years would be worth today.

Well, no one here has an account that has been collecting interest for 2500 years.
The question is, which is better insurance?

Plus due to market manipulation since 1980s the actual Physical SPOT price of silver is not a Supply v Demand result .
The guy must have watched Chuck Woolery's gold commercial doing the same thing with gold vs the usd prizes Wheel of Fortune started with.

A small quibble. A really small quibble, but... silver drachmas survived 2,500 years and still hold value today. No bank or fiat currency has ever survived 2,500 years.

Back
Top Bottom