ECJ ruling on joint data slurpers

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

pmbug

Your Host
Administrator
Benefactor
Reaction score
United-States
hahaha... F you Facebook:

Organisations that deploy Facebook's ubiquitous "Like" button on their websites risk falling foul of the General Data Protection Regulation following a landmark ruling by the European Court of Justice.

The EU's highest court has decided that website owners can be held liable for data collection when using the so-called "social sharing" widgets.

The ruling (PDF) states that employing such widgets would make the organisation a joint data controller, along with Facebook – and judging by its recent record, you don't want to be anywhere near Zuckerberg's antisocial network when privacy regulators come a-calling.

According to the court, website owners "must provide, at the time of their collection, certain information to those visitors such as, for example, its identity and the purposes of the [data] processing".

By extension, the ECJ's decision also applies to services like Twitter and LinkedIn.

More: https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/07/29/eu_gdpr_facebook_like_button/

Maybe this will wake up some webmasters. Maybe.

Not too often I'm excited by anything the EU does, but I guess this is one exception to the rule. Although TPTB in the EU may not actually like it, in which case they'll have to appoint themselves new judges to reverse it. I'd like to see our govt. cracking down on all this data mining/sharing as well as imposing HARSH penalties for all these data breaches that seem to happen faster than I can keep up with.

Back
Top Bottom