Finally bought a Linux system/ CMD line terminal

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

ErrosionOfAccord

Fly on the Wall
Reaction score
My Win7 laptop finally fried it's graphic card. I got a lot of miles out of that MSI gaming system but it's dead.

Bought a System 76 which, is a freedom to repair company. I chose to have them load their POP! OS installed over straight Ubuntu. POP! is just a more user (idiot) friendly version of Ubuntu.

I get around in the environment OK and, can use the the system in and elementary kind of way but I would like to get better with the terminal. I'm starting to look at videos and sites in an effort to better understand what I am playing with. If anyone has some good elementary info please post it here and, I will be doing the same.

At this point, I'm locked in to learning to the tune of $1600

I get around in the environment OK and, can use the the system in and elementary kind of way but I would like to get better with the terminal. I'm starting to look at videos and sites in an effort to better understand what I am playing with. If anyone has some good elementary info please post it here and, I will be doing the same.

Sounds fun. I've been using linux since 1998 and I do a lot of scripting in the terminal both personally and professionally.

Do you have any specific goals in mind? Do you already know some of the useful commands such as grep, cut, tail for example? I could get you some examples.

Sounds fun. I've been using linux since 1998 and I do a lot of scripting in the terminal both personally and professionally.

Do you have any specific goals in mind? Do you already know some of the useful commands such as grep, cut, tail for example? I could get you some examples.
I barely know what sudo does. I'll never write script but, would like to know the basic functions. Probably already would but, I got invited to lunch. Diving into man man right now.

Gazelle 17". I like my laptops big and ugly. It's much lighter than the old MSI but feels a bit flimsy to me. I was pretty proud of that old machine but, MSI doesn't make them like that anymore either.
In for a penny....

Just curious if you got the rocket?

Limited time only, through Cyber Monday all laptops ship with a model rocket!

A list of basic commands. I appreciate the acronym descriptions as it aids in my understanding.

I've admittedly not watched all of this yet. It's five hours. In the introductory stage he goes over the benefits of terminal vs. GUI and, some computer history before moving on to command line stuff. The video is time stamped so you can easily jump around. It makes DOS look like a solution searching for a problem.

Back
Top Bottom