Freedom Chart

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

If you click on the state, it brings up a detail page explaining the ranking. Texas ranks very high for economic freedom, but the overall ranking is brought down mostly because of the war on drugs (incarcerations for marijuana possession).

It's a nice exercise and I encourage people to think in these terms. Freedom!

There is no way those figures can be correct.

The list view shows that Washington State (-16) is the worst in the nation, while Montana (+12) is ranked as the best with Oregon (+-0) and California (+-0) ranked in the middle. Montana might be correct, but I know that Washington is not the worst. California in almost any category is far worse than Washington. The list ranks Oregon and California as equal, but my experience shows that the ranking for these states should be Washington, then Oregon, then California as the worst of the three. Oregon is definitely below average, but California is far worse.

There is no way those figures can be correct.

The list view shows that Washington State (-16) is the worst in the nation, while Montana (+12) is ranked as the best with Oregon (+-0) and California (+-0) ranked in the middle. Montana might be correct, but I know that Washington is not the worst. California in almost any category is far worse than Washington. The list ranks Oregon and California as equal, but my experience shows that the ranking for these states should be Washington, then Oregon, then California as the worst of the three. Oregon is definitely below average, but California is far worse.

Odd, when I look at the list view, I get totally different results:
http://freedominthe50states.org/#list

Perhaps you had one of the subcategories open?

They show fusor's state as #8.
But that's as misleading as burning one foot and freezing the other one and claiming you're comfortable on average.

I used to live in northern VA, about the least free place on earth unless you're an empowered bureaucrat, and not so nice even then to tell the truth. Being rich there wasn't as nice as being poor here was (and now I'm no longer poor anyway ;~)

Now I live in the lower left corner where it took the government 6 *years* to even discover I was homesteading here....that's freedom that counts!

And it makes a little sense. Hey, where the population is dense, there have to be more rules about how you swing your arms - you're gonna hit someone. Where there are very few people, you don't need as restrictive a set of rules, and you don't have the money as a government to enforce them anyway - tax base for local government sucks when there are only a few to tax...

While it could be considered a cop-out vs "fighting for your rights", I say it's practical to just GTFO of any dense area - now, don't wait for some cataclysm. Because it's better now and will be much better if things "go south". Why wait?

You might think well, there's no high paying jobs in the boonies. That's almost true (I made mine telecommuting at silicon valley prices, while living dirt cheap). But it isn't the entire story. As you might guess, everything from food to medical care to housing is also much cheaper in the sticks...it works out.

Odd, when I look at the list view, I get totally different results:
http://freedominthe50states.org/#list

Perhaps you had one of the subcategories open?

I went to your link, clicked "List View," and saw the exact same page I saw before.

You might think well, there's no high paying jobs in the boonies. That's almost true (I made mine telecommuting at silicon valley prices, while living dirt cheap). But it isn't the entire story. As you might guess, everything from food to medical care to housing is also much cheaper in the sticks...it works out.

High paying jobs = larger percentage goes to the money grubbers.

All that matters is whether your labor will pay your bills. In the sticks, bills, taxes, labor, etc all seem to be cheaper. With a lower percentage being confiscated it means one may be better off in the boonies.

And, nowadays, being in the boonies has many pluses even if it were harder to pay the bills. And, as noted, some jobs can be done anywhere.

While it could be considered a cop-out vs "fighting for your rights", I say it's practical to just GTFO of any dense area - now, don't wait for some cataclysm. Because it's better now and will be much better if things "go south". Why wait?

I am not waiting. I just hope I can get out before the SHTF.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom