Gold and Silver Tester

For the Final Model, which would you prefer?.

• 1. A Model for 500 dollars made from brass and wood, looking like the one in the video?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4. I find the concept interesting but would not buy it.

• 5. I would favour style over price for this device

• 6. I would favour price over style for this device

• 7. I think it would make a good gift

• 8. I do see a market for something like this

• 9. None of the above your device is ridiculous. go back to your day job ;)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

EON Bullion

Fly on the Wall
Reaction score
Hi,
I am working on a project to build the following gold and silver tester. having gone out into the market and seen the prices of testers. I figure that there most be a market for something that is a couple of hundred bucks. It works by measuring the conductivity and hence the composition of the coin.
I'd love to get your feedback!
Thanks a Bunch
Rory

pmbug

Your Host
Administrator
Reaction score
Hi EONB, welcome to the forum.

That's an interesting testing device. How sensitive is it to the composition of the coin's outer surface? Ie. would a thick outer layer of gold/silver fool the tester? What if the coin is dirty?

Your video shows you testing gold coins. Does it also test ingots? Does it test silver too? Some silver products have odd shapes.

If I had surety that the device worked well, I would consider one of the lower cost options. I don't handle enough volume of metal to justify a larger price tag even though it does look cool and would be a neat conversation piece except for the fact that I don't want to advertise that I own shiny.

EON Bullion

Fly on the Wall
Reaction score
Hi
The Fake coin in the video has 60 microns of gold coating around a tungsten core, and the device easily distinguishes it from the real coin. Dirt will make no difference, it even can test through slabs and blister packs. The device can test gold and silver, it will test any conductive metal (non ferromagnetic) such that it can be compared with the genuine article. We are working on an entirely mechanical version of the same device that has a clock face that will point to whether the coin is real or not. We expect to have a version in August/September, Sign up at www.eonbullion.com and I will place you on the short list to be contacted, with some early signup benefits. And I will contact you with a video of the final product and price and you can decide if you want one then. I'm glad you like it, I think the mechanical one will be even more fun!
Best Wishes
Rory