EON Coin Cradle - Gold and Silver Coin Testing (update)

For the Final Model, which would you prefer?.

• 1. A Model for 500 dollars made from brass and wood, looking like the one in the video?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4. I find the concept interesting but would not buy it.

• 5. I would favour style over price for this device

• 6. I would favour price over style for this device

• 7. I think it would make a good gift

• 8. I do see a market for something like this

• 9. None of the above your device is ridiculous. go back to your day job ;)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

EON Bullion

Fly on the Wall
Reaction score
Hi,
I am working on a project to build the following gold and silver tester. having gone out into the market and seen the prices of testers. I figure that there most be a market for something that is a couple of hundred bucks. It works by measuring the conductivity and hence the composition of the coin.
I'd love to get your feedback!
Thanks a Bunch
Rory

Hi EONB, welcome to the forum.

That's an interesting testing device. How sensitive is it to the composition of the coin's outer surface? Ie. would a thick outer layer of gold/silver fool the tester? What if the coin is dirty?

Your video shows you testing gold coins. Does it also test ingots? Does it test silver too? Some silver products have odd shapes.

If I had surety that the device worked well, I would consider one of the lower cost options. I don't handle enough volume of metal to justify a larger price tag even though it does look cool and would be a neat conversation piece except for the fact that I don't want to advertise that I own shiny.

Hi
The Fake coin in the video has 60 microns of gold coating around a tungsten core, and the device easily distinguishes it from the real coin. Dirt will make no difference, it even can test through slabs and blister packs. The device can test gold and silver, it will test any conductive metal (non ferromagnetic) such that it can be compared with the genuine article. We are working on an entirely mechanical version of the same device that has a clock face that will point to whether the coin is real or not. We expect to have a version in August/September, Sign up at www.eonbullion.com and I will place you on the short list to be contacted, with some early signup benefits. And I will contact you with a video of the final product and price and you can decide if you want one then. I'm glad you like it, I think the mechanical one will be even more fun!
Best Wishes
Rory

Hello Everyone,

It's been a while since my last update in May 2022. We've been hard at work engineering the EON Coin Cradle, focusing on its mechanical aspects to offer a tactile experience in a digital age. For those who appreciate the tangible feel of gold and silver, this is for you.

First 100 Sign-ups​

If you were among the first 100 people to sign up for our product, rest assured that I have your contact information and will be reaching out to you first upon launch. Your initial feedback has been invaluable, and I want you to know that you haven't been forgotten.

Product Update​

As you'll see from the attached video, the product is nearly complete. While we're keen to launch as soon as possible, we're currently building a database for precious metal coins, which has caused some delays. However, the rollout will happen shortly.

Beta Testers​

Please note that the video is exclusive to our beta customer community, and the product will continue to be refined in the coming weeks.

Get Involved​

If you're interested in becoming part of this journey, please sign up at www.onetroyounce.com. I'll email you with further details as we approach the launch.

Thank you for your patience and continued support. We're a small operation, but we're making big strides, thanks to you.

Best Wishes,

Rory

Last edited by a moderator:
**HEADS UP - REVIVING AN OLD THREAD**

I reached out to Rory asking for an update and here's what he replied:

I will be following up with all those who showed an interest in the coming weeks. Apologies for the delay I getting back to you, thank you for your interest. Make sure you signed up at www.onetroyounce.com and I will email you with the launch date.
Best wishes
Rory

Great, I'm glad you like it. I figured since it was a mechanical mechanism measuring it, we could invent a mechanical mechinism to calibrate it aswell. It took some time to get it right, but i think it was worth it!

Got on your list at onetroyounce.com

Looking forward to getting one of these. They look great.

I keep putting off buying a Sigma, especially since this is a much less expensive option, but I really need to get something sooner rather than later. I hope this comes to market very soon.
@EON Bullion Please give us another update when you can.

@EON Bullion, any update regarding a release date you can share with us?
Would like to make this a Christmas gift if at all possible.

I didn't even get an email response. Maybe none of it is going to happen or he put it on the back burner.

Hi Guys, I’m doing my best to get this out. I will send a group email to all those who have signed up. I don’t want to make promises for Christmas I can’t keep. It will be out shortly though we are at the final stages.
Expect a communication before the end of November.
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.
Best Wishes
Rory

**Important Update: EON Coin Cradle Launch Postponed**

Dear Valued Customers and Stakeholders,

We regret to inform you that the launch of our eagerly anticipated product, the EON Coin Cradle, has been postponed. Despite our best efforts, unforeseen challenges have necessitated a delay in the release schedule.

**New Launch Date:**
The new expected launch date for the EON Coin Cradle is now set for the end of Q1, 2024. We are committed to ensuring that the product meets our high standards of quality and innovation, and this additional time will allow us to achieve these goals.

**Our Commitment:**
We understand the excitement and expectation surrounding the launch, and we apologize for any inconvenience this delay may cause. Our team is working diligently to bring you a product that not only meets but exceeds your expectations.

**Staying Informed:**
We will continue to provide updates as we progress towards the launch. For the latest information, please follow our official channels.

We appreciate your understanding and support, and we look forward to introducing you to the EON Coin Cradle in 2024.

Thank you for your patience and trust in us.

Sincerely,
The EON Coin Cradle Team

"The best-laid plans of mice and men"
That's disappointing but completely understandable.
Hope the project progresses smoothly and with no additional unforeseen issues

@EON Bullion
The website shows these as available for purchase at 2031 Euros, is that correct?
That's more than the entire product line of Sigma models.
Could you please provide us with an update? Sure would appreciate it - thanks!

Last edited:
Approximately $3347 Aussie pesos!

Have to wait for the special discounted price!!!

@EON Bullion
In the past, you were very good about quickly responding to this forum.
Could you please respond to the above and give us an update?

I just kinda saw this late. Neat idea and well designed.

However, I have one engineering / performance concern. This seems like the geometry is going to play a big factor. So it make work well for 1 oz coins but then not a 1 oz bar or certainly not a 10 oz bar.

I'm guessing you can switch the magnet head and adjust/calibrate the gauge for different tests.

I just sent an email to Rory - hopefully he give us an update soon

At this point it's probably not even worth considering anymore. Especially if the new price point is true. At $500 it would be an interesting thing to have for discussion purposes and a fun toy. Any more and you might as well get jacked for a Sigma.

Hi Everyone,
Thanks for reaching out to me, sorry I wasn’t following the blog over the last month. Firstly I apologise for the confusion, There was a mistake on my website. The device will be 600 Euro. (Final Price). We will do a kickstarter launch of the first 100 in March.
Just make sure you signed up as a customer on the website and I will email you before launch.
There are a few good questions raised above.
The device has an adjustable pendulum length, this is done by placing spacers underneath the magnet to adjust the space. There are three spacers, which can be stacked for larger coins.
Bars and coins in the range 100g - 3g can be tested, gold and silver. The device is specifically designed for coins.

The device comes with a mini weighing scale, and the specially designed coin slider.

Below is a more detailed video on the device.

Any other questions I will keep an eye out for and try to answer as best I can.
Thanks for your interest
Rory

Thanks @EON Bullion - the cradle looks great.

How sensitive is the cradle to having the coin (or bar) centered properly under the pendulum for an accurate reading?

Do you think the cradle can handle measurement of larger items like 5oz or 10oz silver coins/bars?

Hi,
The clamp holds the coin in place, and centres it under the magnet. This is spring loaded from both sides to centre the coin.

I will try out a 10oz bar, and post the results. I think it is too big.
I’ll try to post tomorrow.

Best
Rory

i can see my heirs ....scratching their heads wondering what this machine is LOL

I was pretty excited about this before but I think it's a pass now. I think it's a bit pricey for what it is and not very practical. I was more interested from a novelty point of view. I may change my mind again.

A new Sigma is $950 plus a good caliper will run another $50.

I checked on this yesterday. Sigma Metalytics makes several different models of their metal testers. $1K is for their simplest machine. Their fancier machines run up to almost $2K.

@EON Bullion - If I have the cradle and want to test a few different items, how do I find out the proper setting/calibration for the cradle's gauge? Does the cradle come with a cheat sheet or booklet or would I need to look up values on the internet or do some math to figure it out?

@EON Bullion - If I have the cradle and want to test a few different items, how do I find out the proper setting/calibration for the cradle's gauge? Does the cradle come with a cheat sheet or booklet or would I need to look up values on the internet or do some math to figure it out?
The Cradle will come with a cheat sheet, telling you the expected ranges for different purities and sizes of bullion.

I enjoyed the video. The raised straight edges you mentioned for the spring guide sound like a great idea for setting bars properly. I also appreciated you explaining how the cheat sheet data will be published on the back of the sizing tester.

Watching the pendulum come to a dead stop on the 10oz bar was actually kind of funny to watch. It makes sense now that I see it, but I had not really thought it through when I asked the question. Even so, that's how we (I at least) learn.

Another question - can the cradle test coins/bars that are enclosed in protective sleeves/capsules? A lot of silver items get stored in protective containers to prevent direct handling via skin (to hopefully diminish/prevent tarnish). I realize that one would need to remove the items in order to test dimensions and weight, but I'm wondering strictly about the conductivity test. Further point to this question - what about testing coins that were graded and are encased those plastic casings?

Hello All,
One of the issues that is delaying the release of the coin cradle is testing the array of coins. If any of you have the range of common one ounce, 1/2 ounce, 1/4 ounce, 1/10th of an ounce gold coins. This would be some .999, American eagles, krugerrand and sovereign. And then some range of silver coins to test email me. I will give you a coin cradle for free to test them all.

Thanks
Rory

@pmbug edit: Please send Rory a PM (which will send him an email). Email removed from the post to prevent Rory from getting mountains of spam.

Thanks for the video Rory!

You mention one of the things that makes your unit more convenient than others is that everything is in one place.

Is it possible you could include one more thing? Could you please include a list (simply a printout) of most popular coins diameters and thickness so one can compare to their findings using the scale you provide?

I enjoyed the video. The raised straight edges you mentioned for the spring guide sound like a great idea for setting bars properly. I also appreciated you explaining how the cheat sheet data will be published on the back of the sizing tester.

Watching the pendulum come to a dead stop on the 10oz bar was actually kind of funny to watch. It makes sense now that I see it, but I had not really thought it through when I asked the question. Even so, that's how we (I at least) learn.

Another question - can the cradle test coins/bars that are enclosed in protective sleeves/capsules? A lot of silver items get stored in protective containers to prevent direct handling via skin (to hopefully diminish/prevent tarnish). I realize that one would need to remove the items in order to test dimensions and weight, but I'm wondering strictly about the conductivity test. Further point to this question - what about testing coins that were graded and are encased those plastic casings?
Hi, Good question, if the coin is in a box then it can be tested in the box using the ridges. As most bars come in a packet the ridges will catch the package. It works fine through the packages.

Back
Top Bottom