Gold or Silver

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

ADK

Predaceous Stink Bug
Reaction score
Personally, I'm a silver bug. I know it has been touched on in other forums, but I would like to have a thread dedicated to the topic... I would like to know why some of you guys prefer gold over silver?

I'm a somewhat small-time investor. I'm not investing millions per year... but a few thousand, sure. So, silver is ok as far as space requirements.

When I was a kid, my grandfather started buying silver for me, and I've always gravitated towards silver because of that, I guess. I remember going to the coin shop with him when I was a little kid... looking through coins and buying silver.

It seems that the gold silver ratio is pretty slanted right now...

I don't know... any thoughts folks?

I'm interested in hearing your reasons for buying gold over silver or silver over gold or rhodium over silver or gold... etc.

Thanks!

And, as always... I love this forum. I am always learning.

ADK

Personally, I'm a silver bug. I know it has been touched on in other forums, but I would like to have a thread dedicated to the topic... I would like to know why some of you guys prefer gold over silver?

I'm a somewhat small-time investor. I'm not investing millions per year... but a few thousand, sure. So, silver is ok as far as space requirements.

When I was a kid, my grandfather started buying silver for me, and I've always gravitated towards silver because of that, I guess. I remember going to the coin shop with him when I was a little kid... looking through coins and buying silver.

It seems that the gold silver ratio is pretty slanted right now...

I don't know... any thoughts folks?

I'm interested in hearing your reasons for buying gold over silver or silver over gold or rhodium over silver or gold... etc.

Thanks!

And, as always... I love this forum. I am always learning.

ADK

I personally track the ratios between the various metals to watch for short term and/or long term deviations from the norm. For example, under short term ratios, silver is currently under priced. However, looking at longer term ratios, platinum is highly under priced.

I try to diversify my holdings among all of the PM, but typically I try to only buy once a month. I base what I buy on the following:
1) ratios as talked about above
2) Current trends in prices; what is currently in a price dip
3) What deals can I find to reduce the premiums I pay

As far as silver versus other metals, eventually you become to appreciate the value of "concentration of wealth". Even at a few thousand a year invested in silver, eventually you end up with thousands of ounces. Eventually you end up with enough ounces that it would be hard to quickly relocate them. Unless you are quite well off, this is much harder to do with gold or platinum.

Concerning palladium and rhodium, I do not buy much of these as a personal preference for liquidity.

Thanks benjamen --- I appreciate the response.

I like the long term / short term ratio approach. I am probably going to need to start changing my investment strategy as I am beginning to understand the "concentration of wealth" idea. It does add up!

ADK

I believe both are cheap at this time with silver being the better buy.I don't think you could go wrong with either.
I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night so what do I know???

GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS!!!

ADK, I too am diversified re PMs, in declining order $ value:

Au (way the majority in $ value)
Pt
Ag
Pd <--- just a token amount

I am considering purchasing a tiny amount of Rh or even Os... Souvenirs! There are "Element Collectors", Os (Osmium) is the densest metal and the rarest non-radioactive element.

Back
Top Bottom