Hardware tips & tricks for computers.

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

gringott

"Internet Moofluencer"
Reaction score
Everybody has one someone showed them or they learned themselves that works out well.
Lot of stuff on the video places, some good, some bad, mostly Enrish as a Second Language.

Everyone please feel free to add something, if you add video links please let us know the basics about the video.
I'll start off.

If you have a desktop or tower PC of the "norm" you may not have enough slots to hold a expansion SSD 2.5 SATA drive, even though you do have the port unused on the motherboard or you are planning on adding a cheap PCI slot controller. Here is a easy fix that is costless.

Almost all ship in a cardboard box with a plastic insert (tray) holding the SSD tightly.
Look at the tray, The plan is to cut a slot in the insert where you want the power and SATA cable to connect.
Some are clear and easy to mark the screw holes in the bottom of the drive. Mark those with a sharpie and remove drive.
Punch a hole in each of the marked points, and use the mounting screws to secure SSD to tray.
Personally, I just leave the drive in the tray, I am not driving around the house with my PC.

Find a spot such as the "floor" of a tower type PC and hot glue the tray there.
Make sure you are positioned where your cables will reach or purchase extensions or longer cables if needed. Note (and test) accessibility of the connection orientation in case you might have to disconnect or change cables later.

A good idea is to have power splitters and adapters, SATA cable expansions on hand.
I have an old roll around metal framed set of plastic drawers, made for stationary etc, I stock this with adapters of all types etc.

I have done this "hack" many times without issue.

Last edited:
Maybe this video above, which is nice, should be in a "software" tips & tricks, IDK.

Thoughts? Or who cares?

Hardware tips? Here's one (sort of). If you want to drink a beer while using your PC or laptop, DO NOT SPILL THE BEER ON THE KEYBOARD. This includes spewing beer from your mouth as you laugh at something hilarious on the internet. Spilling beer on the keyboard - especially on a laptop - will lead to very unpleasant sticky keys.

Here's another: Clean the dust from your PC case (fan/motor especially) at least once a year or two.

Last edited:
Didn’t know there was one.
I was going to make one but I don't know shit from shinola so I thought maybe you would. Don't want the lead.
Tips like your post are great because they combine multiple technologies and save some hassle.
Thank you for posting.

Hardware tips? Here's one (sort of). If you want to drink a beer while using your PC or laptop, DO NOT SPILL THE BEER ON THE KEYBOARD. This includes spewing beer from your mouth as you laugh at something hilarious on the internet. Spilling beer on the keyboard - especially on a laptop - will lead to very unpleasant sticky keys.

Here's another: Clean the dust from your PC case (fan/motor especially) at least once a year or two.
We laugh about the keyboard spill thing, but when my bro was day trading he spilled wine first, followed up by a soda spill.
Both times he overnight shipped his laptop to me and I had to save it. He gave me a big tip each time.
He missed work because he had to stay at home on his desktop.

The dust issue is big. Every single time I "help" somebody it is amazing the device even works. Like the back of the fridge, they don't clean a thing that is literally filtering the air.

I purchased an electric can of air, plug it in and blow away. Worth it. I take the item outside and all nice. This isn't mine, I have a metal one heavy duty made in USA. But you can get the idea. Before I had electric air, I used my wife unit's old hair dryer on high speed, heat off.

1668262527531.png

Last edited:
Oh... my post was the voice of experience. I still have a laptop that is barely useable until you "warm up the keyboard". Very aggravating to use.

Spare keyboard, always.

And it might make sense to rotate keyboards...when you're surfing while eating or drinking, use the old one.

I have two - an old Bondi Blue iMac and a nearly-new Microsquish keyboard I found at a secondhand store.

The iMac has sticky keys (yeah, I know I could clean them) and two USB ports that are only USB1 supported. Useless.

Both are plugged in, at all times. I go bring over a cold diet soda, I just push the "good" keyboard and mouse aside, and use the others.

This is all I'm good for re the OP:

Hit Control Z iffins ya accidentally hit a button and erase what yer writing. It ought to come back like magic.

Back
Top Bottom