How did the govt get shut down signs so fast?

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Penn

Yellow Jacket
Reaction score
Did anyone besides me wonder how they got all those signs printed and distributed far and wide, including to all the national parks and cemeteries overseas only eight to ten hours after the government shut down? Take a look at this from someone who wanted to remain anonymous.

I have worked in the government on and off for 40 years. During that time I became quite familiar with requisitions, bidding, awarding contracts etc. It is a time consuming process with bean-counters and pencil-necked bureaucrats every step of the way. The simplest request takes months not days or hours.

In less than 8 hours of the shutdown, miraculously, professionally printed 3X4 foot signs appeared all over the country in the tens of thousands saying-“this [park, facility, etc. with custom logos] closed due to government shutdown. There has not been a government shutdown in 17 years. These signs were designed, specifications were determined, signs were then requisitioned, bids were posted and vetted, government contracts were awarded. The materials were then ordered and the signs manufactured then distributed U.S. Mails or freight companies.

This shutdown was orchestrated and planned well in advance at least 6-8 months ago. Millions of tax dollars were appropriated and spent in this process. There is a paper trail a mile long leading directly to the White House.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...87.2044743.1284108081&type=1&relevant_count=1

yup

its all theatre

but we already knew that ..........

thats why we hardly bothered to discuss the so called debt ceiling.
It doesnt exist except as a way to scare the masses into agreeing to whatever they are told is good for them.

Perhaps more interesting are the unintended consequences, for example a subtle shift of attitude by China and Russia .........

I noticed that too, this is all a big show to pin the shutdown on the "tea party terrorists", thinking it would be a big win like it was in '95. It is hard to say what impact this will have on next years elections, but the country is quite a bit different now than it was back then.

As a result of this very expensive temper tantrum by the government, I will be purchasing several more Fontaine low-boy trailers and another Peterbilt tractor. I will not ever be held hostage again. In future evolutions of this ass-clown theater, I will have the means to remove all of my equipment from any site, anywhere, within a couple of hours. Fuck all of these assholes.

This nonsense cost me over 18 thousand dollars solely in equipment. The lost productivity is likely higher than the equipment losses. All the while, I still have more than twenty five thousand a month in overhead that flows out the door, with or without work.

Last edited:
The Republicans are almost finished as a national party unless they get better at using social media to get a more appealing message out to the zombies who were "educated" by our public school system to believe that if we can just give everybody enough free stuff (and everybody always wins a trophy) that life will be fair and all our problems will be solved and the world will like us.

As a result of this very expensive temper tantrum by the government, I will be purchasing severazl more Fontaine low-boy trailers and another Peterbilt tractor. I will not ever be held hostage again. In future evolutions of this ass-clown theater, I will have the means to remove all of my equipment from any site, anywhere, within a couple of hours. fuck all of these assholes.

This nonsense cost me over 18 thousand dollars solely in equipment. The lost productivity is likely higher than the equipment losses. all the while, I still have more than twenty five thousand a month in overhead that flows out the door, with or without work.

Anacona, you have a very unique perspective on things, but this is a public forum, and I don't mean to offend you, (and I am not trying to be a Goody Two Shoes) but you tend to use a great deal of profanity when describing your frustration, which is unnecessary unless you are trying to come across as someone who is about to blow a fuse, in which case you might want to pack a toothbrush because eventually somebody from officialdom is going to knock on your door and want to have a chat to see if you are OK? :paperbag:

Mark- it bothers me when things effect every day people.

Corporations and government I dont give a crap about- but when real people take the hit- then that is not right.

Anacona, you have a very unique perspective on things, but this is a public forum, and I don't mean to offend you, (and I am not trying to be a Goody Two Shoes) but you tend to use a great deal of profanity when describing your frustration, which is unnecessary unless you are trying to come across as someone who is about to blow a fuse, in which case you might want to pack a toothbrush because eventually somebody from officialdom is going to knock on your door and want to have a chat to see if you are OK? :paperbag:

Aubuy,
When I rage against the machine, perhaps I do use colorful adjectives a bit freely, but it is not meant to offend anyone's sensibilities, it is kind of like a hammer for me, and I use words to make the point I am driving toward. You will probably notice that the only time I direct an expletive at an individual, it is always at a politician or person holding some great amount of power or money. I never, ever use expletives when having a discourse with others on-line. Quite the opposite, I always try and use civility, reason and fact when having disagreements or when trying to explain something or the other to another poster or board member at this and any other site.

Again, it is never my intent to insult any other member, irrespective of my personal feelings toward them whether positive or negative, even when joking around, as it will always be taken wrong.

If you feel that I have insulted you, then I apologize, because it was certainly not my intent to do so.

Aubuy,
When I rage against the machine, perhaps I do use colorful adjectives a bit freely, but it is not meant to offend anyone's sensibilities, it is kind of like a hammer for me, and I use words to make the point I am driving toward. You will probably notice that the only time I direct an expletive at an individual, it is always at a politician or person holding some great amount of power or money. I never, ever use expletives when having a discourse with others on-line. Quite the opposite, I always try and use civility, reason and fact when having disagreements or when trying to explain something or the other to another poster or board member at this and any other site.

Again, it is never my intent to insult any other member, irrespective of my personal feelings toward them whether positive or negative, even when joking around, as it will always be taken wrong.

If you feel that I have insulted you, then I apologize, because it was certainly not my intent to do so.

Anacona, I am not personally offended when you use profanity (no-one forces me to read the posts), it just makes me cringe a bit because some of your writing reads like really hot tempered anger and I can't tell if you are just blowing off steam or if you are communicating some darker intent. I would imagine there are several followers and maybe even posters on this website who work for agencies looking to catch people before they do something really bad, and maybe even lure people into doing something they shouldn't. The internet is the wild west but there are Marshall's riding around (just giving a shout out to my buddies over at NSA and FBI. Keep up the good work!)

Anyway, I try to communicate humor on the internet and it is often mis-understood, and I was just trying to suggest that some of the profanity and the way you are using it might be mis-interpreted? Maybe use more happy faced icons when you drop the F bomb :pffftt:, or do a dancing banana when you make anal references about the IRS :banana:? Not sure why I am sticking my nose into your postings and I'm not trying to offend you either. Just giving you my opinion and it's worth what I charge for it. $.02 :wave:

Aubuy,
I appreciate the concern, and while I sometimes wonder who is reading my stuff, I figure I am already on "the list" because I've been ranting for a long time now. Anyhow, the anger and aggravation you see in my writing is for the most part real, and yes, this is a sort of steam valve for me. Remember, I do a lot of federal contracting so my world is chock full of things that would make a commercial contractor go insane. The rules we work under are so completely stifling that sometimes I'll simply stay home for a day because I can't stand the nonsense anymore.

There is no "dark intent", no desire to do "anything" or any other thing for anyone to worry about here. I actually do quite well in this business and have done so for years, it's just that everyone [myself included] needs an outlet, and if I came home every day with my aggravations, I would have been divorced a long time ago. As it is, I've managed to keep my marriage together going on nearly 26 years so maybe I'm on the right program.

All of that said, I quite enjoy writing and hope that at least some of it is of some small value to this community, and the other communities for which I also write. In addition, perhaps on some level, I also hope it is entertaining from time to time. When I had the Neighbors Form Hell, I wrote a number of essays about them that were quite well received, so maybe I should sprinkle in some more of the lighter stuff.

As for the use of hard adjectives, I guess that's just the sailor in me coming to the surface. ;-)

Last edited:
When I was in the army, people could not understand you unless you cursed at them. I remember one time I told this guy to go mop the latrine, he said huh? I told him again, GO MOP THE LATRINE! Once again he said - huh? I said "GO MOP THE FUCKING LATRINE!" He then said oh, ok. I'm always amazed at people who get bent out of shape by random words because they have been deemed "bad" by someone a long time ago.

I seen a clip where the other day vets called sara palin an idiot to her face.

I began to argue with the poster- I said a good idea will stand on its weight. I also explained that woman are delicate creatures.

I do tend to judge people- I dont care for shtt and gd dam. Recent buddies talk on the phone and I want to jump them about the use of those words- but dont. I dont want to pick up that habit. It shows a lack of class.

I never seen mark attack someone on a board by calling them names. I am not offended by his posts.

Try owning/running a business like he does (and I did). It'll change your outlook a great deal.
It's especially true if you're doing a good thing and producing actual value, and the only things keeping you from doing even more productive and good things are external and uncaring who and what they harm. You WILL get pissed off - and even "bad" language doesn't seem to be enough to express just how much.

I guess that's why he writes such excellent rants - most of the words of which are not that "bad language" but eloquent and expressive. The 7 words are just the punctuation.

It's funny how they even shut down NASA's website. How much did they spare in a few days? A few dozen dollars?

How much does it cost to run a site for a few days? 50 $? :)

The stupid hysteria is so transparent!

They created the signs weeks, maybe months before...

Now everyone's happy that the debt was lifted higher! From now one, people will cheer whenever the gov.debt goes higher! And will panic when it doesn't rise!

It's upside-down!

This will last until the US dollar is no longer the world's reserve currency. As long as we can borrow from ourselves (the Fed can buy keep buying Treasuries on the cheap) this craziness will continue. Nobody can stop it. China and the rest of the world now have other plans for the dollar. When we get knocked off the top of the hill the party will be over and the dollar will be virtually worthless. There really isn't any other possibility with what we just witnessed. We're a dead man walking. :sad$:

AU- this is why we have invaded so many countries with oil

The Republicans are almost finished as a national party unless they get better at using social media to get a more appealing message out to the zombies who were "educated" by our public school system to believe that if we can just give everybody enough free stuff (and everybody always wins a trophy) that life will be fair and all our problems will be solved and the world will like us.

Republican, democrat- the only difference is the color of their ties.

As for the use of hard adjectives, I guess that's just the sailor in me coming to the surface. ;-)

"There is only one bad word. Taxes. If any other word is good enough for sailors it's good enough for you."
/Ron Swanson

just wanted to post this video, it seems they had the shut down planned 1 year before :noevil:

Anyone remember the rumours circulating back in '09-'10 about banks getting some shiny new signs that said closed til further notice and the 'great bank holiday' was the hot topic ?

Then there was the strange story about the ministry of agriculture ( in the UK) suddenly deciding to buy vast quantities of railway sleepers just before an outbreak of foot and mouth that had vast numbers of healthy animals getting burnt in open fires that required , yes, railway sleepers to get the fires going.
There had been no foot and mouth recorded in the UK for about 30 years ...........

However it is just possible that someone somewhere does some research and makes a case for being prepared ...........

Back
Top Bottom