Important Important note for new members (avatars, pms, etc.)

Thread contains important information that may impact how you use the forum

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

pmbug

Your Host
Administrator
Benefactor
Reaction score
United-States
It's been mentioned in various threads, but I think it's getting lost (ie. hard to find for new members), so I wanted to mention it here for all the new members:

This forum requires new members to meet a certain threshold (it's actually fairly low) of activity before it auto-promotes them to an active users group that has expanded permissions for fully utilizing forum features including uploading avatars, sending PMs and posting images/links. This is an anti-spam and anti-troll measure to help keep the forums running smoothly and cleanly (lessening the burden on the moderating team).

You should have full access to the forum features within a day or so of having validated your account as long as you participate a bit (and don't just lurk the whole time). I know this can be aggravating when you want to hit the ground running so I thank you for your patience and understanding.

There are a decent number of members that have been manually validated because they never received their activation emails upon registering. If you don't see any email notifications coming from @pmbug.com (whether in your inbox or spam folder), your email provider might be blocking emails from the forum at the server level. It happens from time to time and is a certified PITA to get Spamhaus and other block lists that they use to recognize us as legitimate traffic. I do what I can, but sometimes there isn't much I can do.

Anyway, the important thing is that this forum does monitor bounced emails to make sure member accounts are tied to working email addresses. If your email provider starts bouncing email back to pmbug (some do, some don't) your account could get disabled. Don't panic if this happens. Send me an email using the Contact Us link at the bottom of any page here and let me know.

If this happens to you, I would suggest turning off email notifications from the Preferences page of your control panel: https://www.pmbug.com/account/preferences

That will stop most email notifications, but if you have already been participating in the forums, it won't stop email notifications for threads that you are already "watching". To fix this, click the down arrow next to Forums in the top of the page menu bar. On the drop down menu, select "Watched Threads". There should be a button top right of that page that says "Manage watched threads". Click that and then "disable email notifications".

You won't get emails anymore which means your account won't get auto-disabled, but you will still see notifications when you visit the site.

Last edited:
It's been mentioned in various threads, but I think it's getting lost (ie. hard to find for new members), so I wanted to mention it here for all the new members:

This forum requires new members to meet a certain threshold (it's actually fairly low) of activity before it auto-promotes them to an active users group that has expanded permissions for fully utilizing forum features including uploading avatars, sending PMs and posting images/links. This is an anti-spam and anti-troll measure to help keep the forums running smoothly and cleanly (lessening the burden on the moderating team).

You should have full access to the forum features within a day or so of having validated your account as long as you participate a bit (and don't just lurk the whole time). I know this can be aggravating when you want to hit the ground running so I thank you for your patience and understanding.
Well, you have managed to acquire the retard of the pack. But as a testament to this place, here I yam, despite my twisted path to get here.

good morning Unca!

did you get in any surfing with Ian last week?
All dried out. We din' have anything but enough rain for the old guy down the block to start building an ark. Witchie-poo did her spell thing, I guess. Missed Boo, too.

Wait. I am high as a giraffe's hiney right now (just got back in from chainsawing some stinking Brazilian pepper AKA Florida holly). Was aching all over until some of the finest caused that loverly tide to come washing over.

That's when I realized we said something akin to this over on the Titanic. Yer givin' me credit points so I can become a full citizen and all.

Wotta guy! ;-) <-- No smilies, see? But they forgot we were using smilies when I was a kid... only we called them heiroglyphics.

All dried out. We din' have anything but enough rain for the old guy down the block to start building an ark. Witchie-poo did her spell thing, I guess. Missed Boo, too.

Wait. I am high as a giraffe's hiney right now (just got back in from chainsawing some stinking Brazilian pepper AKA Florida holly). Was aching all over until some of the finest caused that loverly tide to come washing over.

That's when I realized we said something akin to this over on the Titanic. Yer givin' me credit points so I can become a full citizen and all.

Wotta guy! ;-) <-- No smilies, see? But they forgot we were using smilies when I was a kid... only we called them heiroglyphics.

well crapolla then , no surf , what a bummer

get yer post count up and then you will have more bells and whistles to toot here than over at GIM

I am still unable to contribute or access other services yet. I don’t have a paypal right now but can set one up connected to a prepaid debit card. I’ve had so many cards with fraudulent charges in the last few years and paypal seemed to be the source of the breach. @pmbug if you come up with a way to do it by check, let us know.

How do we add the green Refugee badge?

I am still unable to contribute or access other services yet. ...

I'm guessing your post count was too low for the auto-promotion to the 'active' users group. I fixed it manually. Try now.

I have just now changed the default settings for new registrations to watch threads without email notifications. For those of you that had trouble registering - that I had to manually validate - you really should do this right now:

... click the down arrow next to Forums in the top of the page menu bar. On the drop down menu, select "Watched Threads". There should be a button top right of that page that says "Manage watched threads". Click that and then "disable email notifications".

Well this refugee washed up on shore. Thank you,
Mr. Bug for your help in setting up my account. You are to be commended for your patience with those of us that were dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century. I could give Unca a run for tech dummy of the week. By the way where is the line for the housing vouchers and free medical care cards, cell phones, etc.? ;-)

Here goes another shot at it. This time, when I raise the monster up, I will REVERSE THE POLARITY!!!

I just got a PM asking me about 'push notifications' (what are they?) and thought I'd reply here in case there were others with the same question.

Push notifications let the forum alert you to activity happening on the forum. If you visit the forum on an Android device (phone, tablet, etc.) and enable push notifications, the forum will send you alerts when you get replies, PMs, etc. You can control what activities should trigger a push notification from your control panel (preferences):

If you are visiting the forum from a PC, push notifications will pop up little alerts when there is activity - even if you are reading a different tab or have your browser minimized.

I'd encourage everyone to try them out. You can always turn them off from the preferences page of your control panel.

If you visit the forum on an Android device (phone, tablet, etc.) and enable push notifications, the forum will send you alerts when you get replies, PMs, etc.
How is that different from "Alerts"? They tell me when I get replies, PMs, etc too.

How is that different from "Alerts"? They tell me when I get replies, PMs, etc too.
Alerts = the red numbers you see in the top right corner of a pmbug page on the mail and bell icon. You have to (re)load a page in your browser to see new notifications.

Push notifications on Android devices = notifications just like you'd get if you were receiving a(n SMS) text message. You will get your Android notification "ringtone" and the notice will pop up on the screen.

Would someone be so kind as to tell me how to change my avatar? Maybe I haven't hit the threshold yet, but would like to at least throw a pic in :p

I am still unable to contribute or access other services yet. I don’t have a paypal right now but can set one up connected to a prepaid debit card. I’ve had so many cards with fraudulent charges in the last few years and paypal seemed to be the source of the breach. @pmbug if you come up with a way to do it by check, let us know.

I killed Paypal recently when they imposed that $2,500 fine for not being "woke". Will be watching my account closely to see if there is some other way I can contribute here.

I killed Paypal recently when they imposed that $2,500 fine for not being "woke". Will be watching my account closely to see if there is some other way I can contribute here.
You can contribute with a credit card (processed by Stripe) or send a check via mail.

Hello all. I don't recall getting a confirmation email but I guess I made it to this forum???

Looks like you registered back when there was a problem with the email server configuration and a lot of folks weren't getting emails (that issue was fixed and you should be getting emails now if you choose to enable email notification settings). I manually confirmed registrations over the first couple of weeks of the GIM2 migration (including yours).

Looks like you registered back when there was a problem with the email server configuration and a lot of folks weren't getting emails (that issue was fixed and you should be getting emails now if you choose to enable email notification settings). I manually confirmed registrations over the first couple of weeks of the GIM2 migration (including yours).

Yes I think you are correct. I did not receive a confirmation email and then forgot about it. BF has been encouraging me to get signed up here so I guess I've made the migration. There's a lot of migration going on in my world. ;)

Yes I think you are correct. I did not receive a confirmation email and then forgot about it. BF has been encouraging me to get signed up here so I guess I've made the migration. There's a lot of migration going on in my world. ;)
Great to see you Vichris *hands over bag of muffins, jerky and water

Back
Top Bottom