Nuclear Fusion in a Basement

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

DCFusor

Yellow Jacket
Reaction score
Well, I just did get a book offer today, but perhaps not for this kind of topic...I know I'd buy a book ancona wrote, myself, but since it's free here...WTF, I don't need to yet.
Today has been one of the nuttiest days of my life. Early last fall, some guys from Vice/Motherboard (online magazine) came to shoot video of my lab, me, and so on. They took about 20-30 hours of video and edited to their taste - they went a little heavy on the gun stuff, being Swedish and Norwegian, it's all new and exciting to them, but I think on the whole, they did a good job.
Since this video came out at 4 pm yesterday, I've conservatively gotten > 4000 emails and messages, two offers to do TV shows, and one to write a book...funny, I wasn't getting all this attention a couple days ago..I'm just the same guy, you know?

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/the-diy-engineer-who-built-a-nuclear-reactor-in-his-basement
is the article and vid, the vid alone is here:

I need a new finger for the delete key now. Gheesh, that hit like a tsunami.

I was wondering what a guy who has everything could possibly want, and after seeing the video I am thinking maid service. :wave:

All kidding aside, congratulations on your expanding fan club. If you can get that fusion experiment to work the world will be knocking on your door. I sincerely hope you succeed. It would be a dream come true for many of us. :cheers:

That's awesome, DC!

The vid picked up a few thousand more hits just in the minutes I spent reading the comments.

Last edited:
Awesome video DCF. Very "cool". :)

Yeah, a maid would be real nice. It's definitely an issue. A lab assistant would be nice too, but I'm only making enough dough to feed me, and in the middle of a contested divorce just now. Lots of balls in the air. Thanks for all the kind words guys - it's been crazy-hectic - even penn made me laugh at a time I needed it.

The amount of attention this got is truly crazy - it's not the first video of this type to get online, either. I know Vice did a heck of a job on it, but gheez, it's just me, guys.

I kind of doubt, that despite all these offers of TV and books that it makes me any real money, it's just hassle at this point. If it does, well, I get my maid and assistant.
But being on TV takes time, and so does writing books, and it's my most precious resource (I ain't getting any younger), so even if there's bucks, I think I'd rather just keep on slugging it out in the lab, just in case I might finally make it. We've got something new and cool to try that theory says gets us there - we'll just have to check and find out - takes time - I have all the components already. I'll have to trade off any offer with whether a good lab guy would make it faster enough that I had spare time to make the extra money to pay him/her.

I read about this yesterday at The Mail On-line, a British tabloid. Those guys don't miss anything.

Hey DC, great video. I agree that you have a pretty cool life right now. Keep it simple and try not to let things get too complicated over there with TV and media and such.

I have been in a research lab for the past 25+ years but it has become a rat race. The work is very cool, but way too much stress; always a time crunch going on. Looking forward to the future where I can peck away casually at my piddling list which has now grown to about a million fun projects lined up an waiting....

Ok I will offer a few thoughts on Fusors motherboard video.

For all of us here its totally cool and for many of us Fusor has a dream situation but what I also saw was the painting of a free thinking man who does not fit in with society in general, someone who could be dangerous ..... an urban terrorist.

Ok we have a pretty good idea where Fusors principles sit and I would consider it a priviledge to share his neighbourhood. But having shared with the world his aspirations of de-mistifying things so we can assemble expensive products cheaply and a claim to have worked out a way to produce an energy surplus with a small fusion reactor, is there not a possible backlash ?

For those who might wish Fusor some harm, it seems to make their task easier.

Hopefully Fusor is, as ever, ahead of me in his thinking.

I have a feeling if the powers that be thought he was getting real close, or close enough for govt. work,there would be a suspicious, tragic fire destroying all the work, not to mention some sort of grisly death initially labeled as either suicide or natural causes. Watch your six! (and your 12, 3, 9, 1... ah just keep your head on a swivel)

Thanks all. My guess is that the fact that everything I do is in public, and copied all over that it will reduce quite a bit the ratio of reward/risk for anyone wanting to take me out. I'm probably still under their radar anyway, and somewhat of a hard target as is. I already keep my head on a swivel.

When the DEA came here to "take me down" (by mistake, I was innocent) I spotted their pro sniper in only a few seconds...helps to know every leaf, branch, tree, rock and blade of grass....

When their bottom lines get hit, that's when TSHTF, I suppose, but that's not happening now, and at least most of them know about "the Streisand effect". There are half a thousand (that I know of) who read everything I write on the topic and make their own copies...that's a lotta guys to take out if someone really wanted to stop what's going on.

Thanks for the concern, me here living in an entire county of potential "terrorists" by the DHS definitions, it seems pretty peaceful - except for when we make noise for entertainment purposes.

But should I die from 157 self-inflicted stab wounds or a multiple tap nail gun - you'll know I didn't do that, right? Like I said, I'm a happy guy.

sadly, heres a couple of comments I put up on another thread a few weeks ago -

Doug Coulter aka DC Fusor is (was?) something of a genius who was working with ideas that allowed 'wriggle room' in the maths regarding inputs and outputs with small scale fusion ideas.
His last reports before he went silent had him getting a x10 increase in output over what he was expecting and somewhat irradiating himself.
He knew he would be in danger as an individual if he was able to demonstrate overunity and was working with a largish group with full exchange of results and 'open source' all the way. He reckoned the only way to get this kind of stuff out and stay alive was to give it to everyone and make some dollar by doing the world tour splaining how it happened.

I have often wondered how he was doing . I last had confirmation that he was still breathing, from a neighbour of his who was a regular ZH contributor that I occasionally had email exchange with, probably 10 years ago now......

www.dailymail.co.uk

Everybody needs a hobby: Eccentric DIY engineer who used to work for intelligence agencies builds his own NUCLEAR FUSION REACTOR in his basement

Engineer Doug Coulter was once a 'Beltway bandit' - a term for private companies located in or near Washington who provide services to the US government - making signal processing and radio gadgets.

www.dailymail.co.uk
www.dailymail.co.uk

Doug Coulter

Sat May 08, 2021 11:34 am​

It is with great sorrow I announce the passing of Doug Coulter in the wee hours of Thurday May the 6th. As you know Doug had been battling Non small cell lung cancer. None of us thought Doug would leave us this soon. He had unbearable pain in his bones as the cancer had metastasized, but he somehow managed to carry on. I will write more later. I intend to keeping Coultersmithing.com running as long as I can, but his provider may shut it down due to an outdated version of PHP. I am trying to figure out how to make a complete copy of the site. I suggest that if you have a particular subject from the board that you are interested in, that you try to make a copy of that part for yourself. Of particular interest is Doug's tutorial on making high voltage feed throughs. Many of Dougs videos are still available on youtube under Dcfusor. If you have paid a youtube premium you can download them for safe keeping. I intend to reach out to another board member for his help with the site. I also have possesion of Doug's fusor and intend to run it with another board member and try a few things maybe Doug did not. We are also going to try to recreate Doug's accidental exposure run, but at a safe distance. Doug automated the fusor so we could run it from a control room many feet away. Grown men don't cry, but I did. Doug has been a great friend for close to 14 years. Thank You. -Bill Fain

Back
Top Bottom